squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

1 hour ago, nlane33 said:

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the grey is a shade too dark. It may also be the adidas material messing with me. Lighting in this photo could be playing a role as well.

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

The grey just looks like a dirty white.

So is it too dark or too light? lmao. I think it looks just fine. Obviously I haven't watched the game on tv. The silver on the sleeve could use a little more dazzle but I could go either way

1 hour ago, nlane33 said:

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the grey is a shade too dark. It may also be the adidas material messing with me. Lighting in this photo could be playing a role as well.

Wouldn't mind seeing this become the next home uniform for NSH, and the navy helmets HAVE to stay no matter what.

Pretty sure it's just the lighting in these shots. The grey/silver looked a bit brighter and shinier on TV/social. And as much as I love dazzle fabric (used sparingly) on hockey jerseys, it seemed to show off the adidas golf ball dimples more than any other set I've noticed. Especially true when the pattern doesn't continue down the sleeve. Other overly-critical thoughts:

(+) At the risk of sounding like "it's a practice jersey lolol" guy, I've always thought the Preds' current homes were too plain, especially in the shoulders. The previous Reebok set was a victim of the piping epidemic, but at least it added some sort of color balance and visual interest to the upper body. The gold helmets don't help, either. So, these RR sweaters address that issue to me. That said...

(–) It kind of feels like they half-a$$ed the "retro" part of this sweater, starting in shoulders. They said this jersey was based on 98, but the skull logo didn't find its way onto the primary sweaters until the post-lockout RBK takeover. Would've loved the return of the "N" tower patch instead of a dead version of the mascot. The skull patch should've used the thicker navy keyline instead of going silver. AND somehow I didn't notice until tonight that they only put the shoulder patch on one side? What's up with that? (Also, I don't know if this is really a (–) or not, but they changed the placement and font of the captaincy patches.)

spacer.png

(–) I get that it doesn't make fiscal sense to buy plain navy pants/covers for a handful of games, but the gold stripe and modern "NP" on the pants stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Plus, they seemed to be a lighter shade than the navy of the jerseys on TV. Though, that could've been another fabric & lighting thing.

(+) The navy buckets should stay full-time, especially with the comparatively plain normal home jersey.

Overall, I do think these successfully completed the "Reverse Retro" mission, but they should not be adopted full-time. Now, if they wanted to modernize the original navy jersey and make it a heritage third like the Sharks did, I'd be down for that.

14 hours ago, GFB said:

spacer.png

Well yeah, obviously there's a drop shadow in the negative space of the new logo. I was referring to the original logo and how the bolt shape has a clear 3-dimensionality to it. It could be argued that this design style looks a bit dated (the implied drop shadow in the new logo is a totally different style) but I think it still works in a modern context. It adds heft to what could be seen as a somewhat flimsy or flat design element. 

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Would still look better with a black shadow. If theyre going to have black outlines on the numbers, they might as well include it on the logo instead of trying too hard to be clever. 

I don't think this is trying that hard to be clever. It's pretty simple. Adding a black drop shadow would make the whole minimal concept of this logo kind of redundant.

I'm all for black in the logo - I just don't think it's as simple case of adding black to this design and suddenly everything works. 

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

So is it too dark or too light? lmao. I think it looks just fine. Obviously I haven't watched the game on tv. The silver on the sleeve could use a little more dazzle but I could go either way

I can see why someone says it looks like a dirty white (in certain lighting maybe) but if you went any darker, I don't think it would look good at all. It has to be a lighter grey. I like the jerseys, they're way more interesting than their currents, and it reminds me a bit of their original set. A nice callback to when they had a bit more going on that just yellow everything.

12 hours ago, infernoqueso said:

I actually disagree, I liked the Preds RR when they revealed it on the model, but seeing it on ice, it's just as ugly as the original jerseys.  The gray/silver does not play well of that bright yellow especially in Bridgestone Arena, and I really don't like the hem striping.  

This is the best Nashville sweater ever IMO. That being said, with that branding with the name, the logo, and the yellow - it's still awful. It's basically the best of a pile of poop.

17 hours ago, infernoqueso said:

I actually disagree, I liked the Preds RR when they revealed it on the model, but seeing it on ice, it's just as ugly as the original jerseys.  The gray/silver does not play well of that bright yellow especially in Bridgestone Arena, and I really don't like the hem striping.  

I'm of a similar mind, I liked when it was revealed.  I like the colors and the matte grey works better than silver, but on the ice, the numbers are terrible and the hip-hem action just breaks it.  There have been others, like the Pittsburgh that I didn't like until I saw it on the ice, but most are the other way, and the usual complaint are the numbers, Minny, Ottawa, Rangers and Kings have the wrong color for the numbers that don't balance or are illegible. 

On 2/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, _RH_ said:

To me Tampa's look pretty good, but something's not quite right.  For one, I wish they either had grey on the jersey or not on the socks.  Second, and this may be a minority opinion, but white shoulder yokes on a colored jersey just never look good.

Disagree.  I don't think white yokes work with dark base colors like the original TBL jersey, like the Av's horrendous third jersey, or the Caps new third copypasta jersey.  But lighter colors it can work well, like with the Flyers or the old Caps faux-retro.  Even the Islanders third can work if the rest of the design wasn't a trainwreck.

14 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I hope so

spacer.pngspacer.png

I’d just remove the side panel. It just looks awkward as all hell with that little spike on the side.

Dope! Even if you feel like this is too much red for the Knights, some team should rock this scheme. 👏

I know it's too late to change the Sens, but this basic red/grey/gold/black look would work nicely with whatever Ottawa logo you want to plunk in. For me, the colors complement each other nicely, and we don't have this striping pattern in the league.  Not sure I get the criticism I'm seeing this jersey getting. The gold...I get. This I don't. 

1 minute ago, NYRFan said:

and we don't have this striping pattern in the league.  Not sure I get the criticism I'm seeing this jersey getting. The gold...I get. This I don't. 

It's a good looking 90s template. When people think of the 90s they picture the wildest stuff with gradients and swooshes but diagonal stripes really took off in this decade and it's relatively tame by today's standards and a modern classic imo. I also love the pattern on the socks

Match. Your. Helmets. To. Your. Breezers.

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Et1TYMrU0AMUAVD?format=jpg

About the only thing to do here is to get black helmets. These should be full-time alternates IMO.

It has become an annual tradition for the Canucks to wear special warmups for the Chinese/Lunar New Year.  This year is the year of the ox.  They will wear them on Thursday.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It feels like such a cynical ploy to tap into the Chinese demographic to me. Designed practice sweaters are just such a waste of time in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

It feels like such a cynical ploy to tap into the Chinese demographic to me. Designed practice sweaters are just such a waste of time in my opinion. 

Representing a huge demographic within your fanbase isn't a bad thing. 

7 hours ago, Bayne said:

Designed practice sweaters are just such a waste of time in my opinion.

If they're going to be auctioned off for charity, as they usually are, then is it really a waste?

1 hour ago, Echo said:

If they're going to be auctioned off for charity, as they usually are, then is it really a waste?

To be fair, I don't think many people are aware of that. I've had the same discussion on facebook when the Canadiens announced they would wear black practice jerseys in warm ups for a game this week. Some of these can be corny and/or look bad or gimmicky, but who cares as long as it's for a good cause