squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

Recommended Posts

I wish we spoke more about arena lighting and its effect on the presentation of uniforms. I'm a big fan of the Yotes' RR. I like the bold color choice, but look at how muddy it appears in their barn. You don't really notice the vibrancy of the color unless there's a close-up. 

 

I realize I'm watching this on my mobile, but I'm pushing the brightness up and it is making no difference.

 

I hope in the next national TV contract, the league can focus on doing anything possible to present the sport, and all its beauty, in a more vibrant way. I know NBCSN (which is going extinct later this year) does what it can to brighten up games it does on its national broadcast, but I'd love this to be a point of emphasis. 

 

For jersey nerds like ourselves, you lose unique jersey features when the game looks so muddy. (Another reason I want to see brighter colors throughout the league; a lot of places are so dimly lit, navy looks black, as example. Believe that was a gripe of Sabres fans for a long time...).  You honestly can barely notice the shoulder yoke of the Kachina, as example, when the Yotes play at home unless they are celebrating a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, Ridleylash said:

 

They're beautiful.

 

Very small thing but it was a strange choice to use a red stripe in the socks. It doesn't work with the striping of the uniform and only matches the... gloves? Based on how the original jersey worked, this stripe should be green. It would also correspond to the green accents in the cactuses on the hem.

 

Keith-Tkachuk-689x1024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYRFan said:

I wish we spoke more about arena lighting and its effect on the presentation of uniforms. I'm a big fan of the Yotes' RR. I like the bold color choice, but look at how muddy it appears in their barn. You don't really notice the vibrancy of the color unless there's a close-up. 

I also am frustrated by how dark uniforms appear on camera, but I think the issue is more about the fact that cameras can't work as well as the human eye.

If I understand correctly, the exposure has to be adjusted to compensate for the bright white ice so the uniforms look darker.

So many games end up looking like black versus white w/black accents. Its especially frustrating when the jerseys actually ARE vibrant colors like the Coyotes' purple or even the Blues' royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elliott said:

Very small thing but it was a strange choice to use a red stripe in the socks. It doesn't work with the striping of the uniform and only matches the... gloves? Based on how the original jersey worked, this stripe should be green. It would also correspond to the green accents in the cactuses on the hem.

My guess is that yes, they tried to match the gloves. The Coyotes run on a tight budget, a new set of gloves just for the RR jerseys probably didn't make a lot of sense for them. In an ideal world, the gloves would have been the same as they wear with the Kachina jerseys but with green and red swapped for purple and orange, or maybe just solid black with tan or orange lettering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, charliehustle said:

I also am frustrated by how dark uniforms appear on camera, but I think the issue is more about the fact that cameras can't work as well as the human eye.

If I understand correctly, the exposure has to be adjusted to compensate for the bright white ice so the uniforms look darker.

So many games end up looking like black versus white w/black accents. Its especially frustrating when the jerseys actually ARE vibrant colors like the Coyotes' purple or even the Blues' royal.

I know they've tested light blue ice before, but I wonder what a very, very light grey or off-white would look like. I do think that in a dark room, a hockey game that goes into OT can get tiring on the eyes, and of course it would help jerseys stand out a bit more probably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charliehustle said:

So many games end up looking like black versus white w/black accents. Its especially frustrating when the jerseys actually ARE vibrant colors like the Coyotes' purple or even the Blues' royal.

I'm with you 💯! Ever look at a Leafs' away sweater in a dimly lit arena? Hard to tell that's blue, even, unless it's a close-up.

 

Maybe the light-blue ice would solve it? I'd be game for trying that out. I guess I just want the best uniforms in sports to appear as vibrant as those in the NBA or NFL. 

 

I'll never understand the crowd that feels the Flames retro uniform is too loud or sears their eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

I'm with you 💯! Ever look at a Leafs' away sweater in a dimly lit arena? Hard to tell that's blue, even, unless it's a close-up.

Hot take incoming: I actually don't like that particular shade of blue the Leafs, Canucks and Lightning use. It looks fine in person but too dark from a distance. spacer.pngAnd for me, the worst offender in this category of jerseys that look too black and white in dimly lit rinks, is the Blackhawks away jersey

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charliehustle said:

I also am frustrated by how dark uniforms appear on camera, but I think the issue is more about the fact that cameras can't work as well as the human eye.

If I understand correctly, the exposure has to be adjusted to compensate for the bright white ice so the uniforms look darker.

So many games end up looking like black versus white w/black accents. Its especially frustrating when the jerseys actually ARE vibrant colors like the Coyotes' purple or even the Blues' royal.

I understand the colors being a little darker due to the exposure being adjusted due to the brighter ice, but that certainly does not lead to matchups looking like black vs. white.
 

I think there are stations where they have a lower exposure, leading to slightly darker colors. NBCSN usually uses darker exposure. The Wild games at the Xcel Energy Center look darker on NBCSN than the local station, but not enough to say that the Wild were wearing black by any means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AFirestormToPurifywhere did you find that handy chart, or did you make it?  I was just searching for something like that, anyone know if the other colors can be seen somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hot take incoming: I actually don't like that particular shade of blue the Leafs, Canucks and Lightning use. It looks fine in person but too dark from a distance. spacer.pngAnd for me, the worst offender in this category of jerseys that look too black and white in dimly lit rinks, is the Blackhawks away jersey

 

I agree with your hot take. Especially in regard to the Leafs. I feel a team using a monochromatic color scheme needs to punch up the color a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

I agree with your hot take. Especially in regard to the Leafs. I feel a team using a monochromatic color scheme needs to punch up the color a bit. 

I'd rather they not get so bright as to become garish, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I understand the colors being a little darker due to the exposure being adjusted due to the brighter ice, but that certainly does not lead to matchups looking like black vs. white.
 

I think there are stations where they have a lower exposure, leading to slightly darker colors. NBCSN usually uses darker exposure. The Wild games at the Xcel Energy Center look darker on NBCSN than the local station, but not enough to say that the Wild were wearing black by any means

That's some pretty definitive language to use while discussing something that has many variables, one of you which you mention, and can be subjective.

I am sitting here watching this Blues game. Their navy pants look black, the royal yoke looks like a very deep navy and the green yoke on the Coyotes jersey has no contrast from their black jerseys aside from close-ups. 

Could that be because of the broadcast, or my settings on my screen, or my perception of color? Yep, and what you see is based on the same thing for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St. Louis needs to ditch navy completely. It's too dark and only shows up as blue on close ups. The current brighter blue and the throwback light blue are better in every way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hot take incoming: I actually don't like that particular shade of blue the Leafs, Canucks and Lightning use. It looks fine in person but too dark from a distance.

 

The Canucks blue should be on the darker side so it better contrasts with the comparatively bright green.  I wouldn't want to see it any lighter than it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 5:45 AM, PlayGloria said:

The arm striping on the alternate makes no sense and is really out of place.


What do you mean? It’s literally the road jersey with the gold and white flipped. It couldn’t be any more formulaic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IceCap said:

I'd rather they not get so bright as to become garish, thanks. 

 

I think the Leafs are fine in dark royal. The Lightning and Canucks should punch it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, _RH_ said:

@AFirestormToPurifywhere did you find that handy chart, or did you make it?  I was just searching for something like that, anyone know if the other colors can be seen somewhere?

It's from Icethetics. I actually emailed him to ask if he could do the same thing for every color but he still hasn't replied lol. You can find those same color codes on trucolor.net so you could do one yourself if you felt like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IceCap said:

I'd rather they not get so bright as to become garish, thanks. 

Just a tiny little bit brighter. I'm not saying they should switch to Rangers royal blue

 

6 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

 

The Canucks blue should be on the darker side so it better contrasts with the comparatively bright green.  I wouldn't want to see it any lighter than it is.

Yeah I guess you're right. My problem is mostly with the Lightning to be fair. They need to be a black and Hawaiian/electric blue team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a big hockey watcher, but came across some highlights from the Canucks vs Flames game tonight online and can I just say how gorgeous the Flames new uniforms are? Perfect matchup against Vancouver too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Not a big hockey watcher, but came across some highlights from the Canucks vs Flames game tonight online and can I just say how gorgeous the Flames new uniforms are? Perfect matchup against Vancouver too.

Yeah it really feels like the perfect matchup of opposites, the hot coloured team vs the cool coloured one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.