2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

4 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

The black and white PPG logo almost looks like it stands for Pittsburgh Penguins Group, so that's a small blessing. Its a lot more bearable in black and white.

The company was formerly the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Why aren't the numbers on the sleeve? Looks weird to crowd them on the shoulders. 

Trying to look like the 80s unis.

Image result for 1982 pittsburgh penguins

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, Bayne said:

The leaping Panther is up there with some the most iconic sporting logos and it is criminal that it's not being used full time. I honestly think it is a fantastic, dynamic logo that has just enough character quirks and 90's influences to it that makes it interesting and not a perfect logo designed in a 21st century lab. And despite the detail as well - which I would normally say is too much - in this case for some reason it just works. 

I was actually looking at the original and newest one side by side and liked the original better. Some of those extra details just stand out. Plus finally matching the gold on the logo and jersey does it wonders. 

The RR jersey is nice, but the white throws it off for me. But going back to that look would be an upgrade. 

Brendan Shanahan's grand designs for the Maple Leafs logo

That’s in contrast to the harsh reception the public gave this year’s reverse retro jerseys. Keep in mind they’re part of a 2019 agreement the Leafs and all 31 teams had with the Adidas company, a joint effort that would “tell a story” in threads.

The NBA had a similar plan a couple of years ago and, while such ventures usually are meant to drive revenue more than seriously honour history, the Leafs found themselves in a bind.

“The hard part was going back to a logo that we’d just stopped wearing three years earlier,” Shanahan said. “It didn’t feel all that retro. Then we saw the logo from 1966 to ’69 around our dressing room. We have photos of Dave Keon and Tim Horton wearing that crest.”

That was blended with the Ballard Leaf on the shoulder patch, which the team could point out covered a period when Darryl Sittler and Borje Salming were stars, when Rick Vaive scored 50 and Wendel Clark ruled. After the first game, when confused viewers thought their TV colour bar was askew, the Leafs thickened up the dark silver trim to make the numbers easier to read. They’ll wear them twice more.

January 30, 2021:

SbcMcxn.jpg

February 6, 2021:

UiMqQSJ.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Just now, fouhy12 said:

I know we're seeing Boston's reverse retro for the first time this weekend. Is that the last one to debut, or are their others that have yet to make an appearance? 

Anaheim, San Jose, Colorado (though this weekend), Vancouver (maybe?), Carolina, NYI, Washington (postponed) and maybe Detroit...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Anaheim, San Jose, Colorado (though this weekend), Vancouver (maybe?), Carolina, NYI, Washington (postponed) and maybe Detroit...

Also Buffalo, Chicago, and New Jersey (the first appearance for them was postponed).

Probably an unpopular opinion, but here I go. When I first saw Nashville's reverse retro in November, I thought it looked good and was excited to see it hit the ice. Ever since I've seen the whole uniform in play, I've started to like it less and less. Their regular uniforms need to go, but I'm not sure the reverse retro is the solution. 

38 minutes ago, nlane33 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but here I go. When I first saw Nashville's reverse retro in November, I thought it looked good and was excited to see it hit the ice. Ever since I've seen the whole uniform in play, I've started to like it less and less. Their regular uniforms need to go, but I'm not sure the reverse retro is the solution. 

Agree but the template is still nicer and so is the addition of silver. I'd like to see navy and silver reversed on the shoulders. 

12 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Brendan Shanahan's grand designs for the Maple Leafs logo

January 30, 2021:

SbcMcxn.jpg

February 6, 2021:

UiMqQSJ.jpg

Looks even uglier now. Instead of just going with single layer silver. Or maybe even with a silver-blue-silver double outline. But no, they had to double down on the hollow numbers. I really hate this trend. The game is just too fast for hollow numbers, it works in baseball and could work in football probably, but not hockey

5 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

Nashville's wearing their RR uniform in Columbus tonight...

I don't think Nashville was scheduled to wear theirs tonight either.

Preds were supposed to wear their RR set on Monday in Dallas (who I think were supposed to wear their all-white RR sets).

According to the schedule on Icethetics, Columbus will wear their RR set on Saturday vs. Nashville.

2 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Also, why wouldn't the Preds wear yellow helmets tonight of all nights? Facing navy Columbus.

Agreed 1000 percent. Probably the first time this Preds fan ever wanted to see the golden domes instead of navy.

That said, I was glad to finally see the Preds in gold vs. another team's dark sweater. Personally, I would LOVE to see the NHL go the soccer route of designating primary/change uniforms instead of home/away (accounting for colorblindness clashes, of course).

Archived