2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully the white cuffs didn’t stand out too much with the gloves, and it looked like a bunch of guys had them rolled up a little when I don’t think they often do that. 

At any rate, they definitely looked great. I think they’re wearing them two more times, would love more. Also would like them to wear the socks with their homes a few times. 

54 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Very nice yellow-gold Bruins sweaters. I would have gone with yellow helmets. The Flyers are the dark-coloured team and their black helmets work, not the Bruins' black lids.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:19 AM, nash61 said:

Match. Your. Helmets. To. Your. Breezers.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Yeah, my concerns were mostly unfounded in the end; the Flyers' jerseys had just enough red tint to them that contrast wasn't an issue (their thick sleeve stripes probably helped in this regard, too). Yellow + the 70s/80s era of spoked B always seem the most popular with Bruins fans, hopefully the team sticks with these instead of yet more black with no spoked B at all.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

15 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I wish they'd just bite the damn bullet and go back to their dynasty look. The orange-dominant look has never worked for the Oilers, it's a Flyers thing and should stay that way.

See, I'm gonna have to disagree. I think the orange and navy blue works just fine.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

46 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah, they totally look just like the Flyers

I never said they "look just like the Flyers". I said "an orange-dominant jersey works for the Flyers, but not for the Oilers". It doesn't help that the Oilers insist on the most obnoxious shade of orange possible and combine it with a navy so dark I could say it's black in certain arenas.

And besides, orange as the primary color has been a Flyers thing for infinitely longer than it has been for the Oilers; they've been "the orange team" for pretty much all of their history except for the period in the 2000's they used a black jersey...but by that point, orange had been in the rear view mirror for the Oilers for years prior in favor of copper.

spacer.png

This look is what most people associate with the Oilers. It's simple, it's gorgeous, it's timeless. The Oilers should be a team like the Islanders that keeps their dynasty look because it just looks so nice regardless of era.

spacer.png

This is, by comparison, a hell of a lot worse. The navy is so dark it looks black, the orange is utterly obnoxious in how garishly bright it is and it just looks so much worse. Even if they wanted to say this was an homage to the WHA look, they'd be wrong, since the Oilers never wore anything like this in the WHA. The orange look they did wear in the WHA was this;

spacer.png

Legitimately, I think the Oilers managed to take the Adidas transition the worst of any team in the NHL. At least the other problems introduced from the transition were overall fairly minor, the Oilers managed to take a set that was perfect and completely :censored: it up. They had a perfectly timeless look, they didn't need to mess with something that was already great as it was.

It isn't, but I think there are some elements there that would make for a much better logo than the Oilers have ever had.

Oilers are blue and orange, with more blue than orange.   Otherwise, they just don't look quite right.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Legitimately, I think the Oilers managed to take the Adidas transition the worst of any team in the NHL.

Let me introduce you to a team known as the New Jersey Devils.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Given that yellow has always been a secondary for the Blues, and red was only used in a marginal capacity for about 15 years, I'm left to wonder why the Blues decided to make their RR sweater red instead of yellow. I mean, yeah, I guess what they did was flip the red and blue portions of the original sweater template they took them from, but, in the inverse manner with the Habs, red just doesn't work as a dominant sweater color for the Blues and, unlike the Habs, the sweaters aren't all that aesthetically pleasing either when you strip them of their surrounding context.

I dunno, I'm not a skilled artist by any means...if you wanted to go with a '90s inspired look, I can't help but feel like a yellow-for-blue swapped out version of this wouldn't have worked:

spacer.png

EDIT: Seems like the picture I provided isn't there anymore. In case that's true for everyone else, here's a different picture:

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Let me introduce you to a team known as the New Jersey Devils.

Eh, the Devils at least still look like the Devils for the most part asides from the striping changes. The Oilers completely screwed the pooch on their jerseys.

The Oilers didn't change the fundamentals of their design.

11 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Given that yellow has always been a secondary for the Blues, and red was only used in a marginal capacity for about 15 years, I'm left to wonder why the Blues decided to make their RR sweater red instead of yellow. I mean, yeah, I guess what they did was flip the red and blue portions of the original sweater template they took them from, but, in the inverse manner with the Habs, red just doesn't work as a dominant sweater color for the Blues and, unlike the Habs, the sweaters aren't all that aesthetically pleasing either when you strip them of their surrounding context.

I dunno, I'm not a skilled artist by any means...if you wanted to go with a '90s inspired look, I can't help but feel like a yellow-for-blue swapped out version of this wouldn't have worked:

spacer.png

I just quickly flipped an old concept I had on my computer.

Kmb0T0h.png

IEI5Tg1.png

Just noticed that the Coyotes have gotten rid of the numeral outlines on the Kachina jerseys and made the numerals thicker, for whatever reason. Now it looks like they're wearing knockoffs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived