2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

On 2/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

I love the Kachina look, but I kinda now wish the Coyotes would base their new look on purple. The old/new primary black jersey's fantastic up close with the little details but the black and green gets muddled up too much on TV. I really noticed it the other night where it just looked a little too drab. I'm usually not a proponent of Unique for Unique's Sake, but the Coyotes taking ownership of purple and putting a new spin on their 90s look would really set them apart and look great. I'd have no complaints if the Coyotes keep the status quo with the 90s jerseys being the full time set next year, but this Reverse Retro's too good to phase out.

agreed.  Kachina is great, the old color scheme is not. 

I really hope the team looks at these and sees what we see.  if the NHL isn’t using Reverse Retro as a testing ground for new primary looks, it’s a huge wasted opportunity. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Flames did (2006-07 is the best they've ever looked, period) but the Sens' pre-Edge dark primary jersey was bad. It wasn't as bad as their Edge set but it was bad. The black alternate should've been promoted to the primary with a matching road version.

Agree to disagree about the Flames. They finally look right again. No black needed. Once the black is in a color scheme, it's only a matter of time before it takes the entire thing over again. 

They fixed them this year - let's never touch them again.

On 2/23/2021 at 4:18 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Not a fan of having the captain letters on the right but this looks very solid. I'm sure a white version would look great and a blue version would look even better

spacer.png

Why would you not be a fan of something that looks infinitely better than the alternative (placing the captain letters on the left)?

On 2/24/2021 at 12:57 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

But think of the (assistant?) equipment manager who's responsible of sewing all those names on the jerseys lol. Oooof. Does anybody know if they use kiss cut for the red outline? Especially for the NOB. I can't imagine every layer is stacked and sewn individually with such a fancy font

Multi-layer letters are often brought in pre-constructed, so you’re only sewing down the outer layer regardless.

I think the red line on Washington’s Reverse Retro numbers and letters is actually embroidered, though, not a stacked layer.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Agree to disagree about the Flames. They finally look right again. No black needed. Once the black is in a color scheme, it's only a matter of time before it takes the entire thing over again. 

That's why I specified the 2006-07 season. They dropped the horse snot alternate so black was only a secondary color (or tertiary in the road jersey's case) instead of a primary.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Why would you not be a fan of something that looks infinitely better than the alternative (placing the captain letters on the left)?

Just looks weird to me. Not saying it doesn't make sense, just saying I don't personally like it. If I were in charge, I would have shrunk, lowered or tilted the logo until I can fit the letter on the "correct" side. But that's just me I guess

4 hours ago, ebod39 said:

There you go. Still looks like a pain in the butt to sew, look at that R lmao

I tried sewing down a number kit on one of my jerseys recently, and wow it's way harder than it looks. And it was just a regular block font!

2 hours ago, Corvus said:

Huh. The chest logo actually pops better with the black outline. 

That was never the problem. I think that was the consensus opinion, because whereas yellow can blend into a white or red background, the black outline provides clear delineation against either of those.

I've mentioned before, but the frustration over how things have worked with Calgary's uniforms is absurd. Because we had...*those*...for 13 seasons after only having these much better looking sweaters for three seasons before that. During that time, the Flames began to bring those throwbacks into the fold more and more, were properly well-received, and finally upgraded into being the full-time look once again and then, and only :censored: ing then, what does Calgary do with their RR sweater? Bring their early '00s template back! The only thing, IMO, that would've been better than going back to the days of Nieuwendyk and Roberts and Lanny McDonald would've been bringing back the template from what they wore when they went to the Final in 2004, and all their RR sweater confirms is that they could've done that at literally any g-ddamned point over the last decade or so, and actively decided "...nah".

Pricks. You deserve "it was(n't) in" for that reason alone.

spacer.png

21 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Well, how about that. Those tight zigzags looked like satin-stitch on the game photos.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Well, how about that. Those tight zigzags looked like satin-stitch on the game photos.

How does a company like Exclusive Pro learn what the specs are? Does adidas provide anything? Do teams provide the specs, then send to EPS, et al? Does EPS have any role in what the specs will be?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

23 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

How does a company like Exclusive Pro learn what the specs are? Does adidas provide anything? Do teams provide the specs, then send to EPS, et al? Does EPS have any role in what the specs will be?  

The teams provide the specifications. That's why you'll see different layering options (kiss-cut, stacked, that sublimated faux-stacked look that the Bruins use) and even different materials (the Flyers use twill nameplates instead of matching the material to the jersey and some teams don't even use nameplates).

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

19 hours ago, Corvus said:

Huh. The chest logo actually pops better with the black outline. 

This makes me wonder how an extra red outline on the logo and numbers would look for the Flames on their road sweater. It would match the striping pattern, and probably keep the yellow from bleeding into the white jersey. It would pop like the black outline did on the old white, Reebok-era sweater. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

This makes me wonder how an extra red outline on the logo and numbers would look for the Flames on their road sweater. It would match the striping pattern, and probably keep the yellow from bleeding into the white jersey. It would pop like the black outline did on the old white, Reebok-era sweater. 

spacer.png

Yeah, this does work a lot better than the single-outline version IMO.

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Yeah, this does work a lot better than the single-outline version IMO.

The single yellow outline on the font and their crest is good enough. The Sabres have and the Bruins of the 70's to the early 90's also had a single yellow border on the font on their whites. The NFL Chiefs have the exact same bordering format and colours as the Flames. As long as the yellow isn't the main colour of the font on the whites(Minnesota Wild Retro Reverse) and the yellow is touching the dark coloured font as bordering is more than acceptable in my books.

Archived