2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

3 hours ago, dannykraft said:

They could always go the cfb way and just do a generic number for replica uni's

The could also use historical numbers from players that played at the time (maybe have a special tag to note the historical significance).

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume everyone has hated those since they were released, but I think along with the red helmets, gloves, and breezers they're not totally awful.  Still not good, and the sleeves /socks are begging for some red, but not like "historically bad" territory IMO.  The silver brings something new for them.

2 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

I assume everyone has hated those since they were released, but I think along with the red helmets, gloves, and breezers they're not totally awful.  Still not good, and the sleeves /socks are begging for some red, but not like "historically bad" territory IMO.  The silver brings something new for them.

I'd say the equipment makes the whole thing worse, honestly. Now the jersey looks like a friggin' white shirt with a Red Wings logo and NOB slapped on with red shorts and gloves.

Saw the red wings live today, look even worse in person, the red helmet is so distracting. Also wore all red shells which I don't really understand, just made them look even more plain. I wish they gave the logo some silver, like the centennial uniforms, it looked almost out of place. I will say the silver did look darker than when they were unveiled so that's a plus. 

11 minutes ago, Patchey13 said:

I still think they should have thrown back to the Thrashers powder blue jerseys

What are the Thrashers to fans of the Winnipeg Jets?

You could argue, "what are the Nordiques to fans of the Colorado Avalanche?" or "what are the Whalers to fans of the Carolina Hurricanes?" but the Nordiques and the Whalers are far more culturally significant in the NHL's history than the Thrashers ever will be.

Hell, Turner Boradcasting used the money WCW made in 1998 to pay for the Thrashers' expansion fee. Did the Atlanta Thrashers kill WCW? I'll let you decide.

8 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Hell, Turner Boradcasting used the money WCW made in 1998 to pay for the Thrashers' expansion fee. Did the Atlanta Thrashers kill WCW? I'll let you decide.

I mean, I'd say WCW was on a speeding train to oblivion by then, anyways. 1998 was the same year they decided to completely kill Goldberg's mystique, after all, which basically killed his starpower for good, 1999 had the reign of Vince Russo and the Fingerpoke of Doom (and the extreme oversaturation of the NWO that resulted), losing Big Show, Jericho, Benoit, Gurrerro, Saturn and Malenko all to WWE...and 2000 WCW was 2000 WCW.

The company shot itself in the foot numerous times irrespective of the Thrashers.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, I'd say WCW was on a speeding train to oblivion by then, anyways. 1998 was the same year they decided to completely kill Goldberg's mystique, after all, which basically killed his starpower, 1999 had the reign of Vince Russo and the Fingerpoke of Doom...and 2000 WCW was 2000 WCW.

Sure, kill a good joke because you wanna stan for the Sunbelt 😜

Whenever it comes to the Thrashers, I'm always torn between defending the Sun Belt (which could be a great hockey market with proper ownership) and dunking on Atlanta, which is always fun.

the user formerly known as cdclt

4 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Sure, kill a good joke because you wanna stan for the Sunbelt 😜

I mean, really, do we need the Thrashers as a reason to dunk on Russo-era WCW? The product alone offered enough to dunk on to last a lifetime, dragging a failed hockey team in to dunk on it some more seems like overkill. 😜 

Though to be fair, at least there wasn't a Thrash on a Pole match at any point...

On 3/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Harsh words, but I agree with the general sentiment lol. They just look... meh

The stripes, colors, logo, everything looks good on paper. No weird gimmicks, no contrasting nameplates, gradients, chrome trim, white pants, hollow numbers, or weird color that isn't in the team's usual color scheme. So why does it look so disappointing?

On 3/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah I think you nailed it. "Generic" is the word I was looking for. Perfectly describes those Blackhawks jerseys

By looking good on paper I meant, there is no piping or anything weird. It's a solid, classic hockey jersey with clean horizontal stripes, it just also happens to look a little generic. If I signed up for a beer league and those were my team's jerseys, I wouldn't be mad is all I'm saying lol

Oddly enough, the Hawks' RR kinda resembles the third jersey from a Drummondville Voltigeurs concept I did back in '09.  Not an exact match, but very close.  Borrowing @Ted Cunningham's words, the Hawks' RR effort looks like any other hockey jersey ever.  Far from the worst they could've done, but...um, yeah, as far as its presence, it's just there.  Kinda like the random journeyman player you look at and wonder what the heck he's actually good at.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

19 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Problem is that what they have's exactly how the original white jersey looked, just with black and white flipped. Changing the hem striping is kinda antithetical to the whole point of the Reverse Retro idea.

It's not antithetical. Heaps, if not most of the of RR jerseys aren't exact reversals of historical jerseys. It's just a starting point - there's clear evidence of creative choices being made for these jersey designs to end up with something that 'works'. Almost non of these were simply a strict colour swap job. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

Almost non of these were simply a strict colour swap job. 

Nordiques

Whalers

Oilers

Rangers (except for the collar)

Islanders

Capitals

Sabres

Panthers

Lightning

Coyotes

Canucks

Flames

Senators

Canadiens

Red Wings (color swap x 2 of home red jerseys)

Blue Jackets (change in shoulder patch)

Predators (change in shoulder patch)

Kings

Ducks

Sharks

Devils

Penguins (change in shoulder patch)

Flyers

et al

These were all color swaps from the original jersey. 

Seriously...take another look at them 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived