2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

20 minutes ago, the admiral said:

1) Those were to debut for 1996-97, they missed the deadline to apply for 95-96, presumably because Aubut was too busy hitting the province up for money it didn't have

2) Never in a million years would the Habs have traded Roy within the division and especially not upriver, they still could have made a real go of it with Jocelyn Thibault but probably would have run into a white-hot Vanbiesbrouck or that Wings team that won like 60 games.

But a Quebec City team getting hometown hero Patrick Roy aaaaand eventually Ray Bourque would have been a hell of a story. Just not in those terrible Charlotte Ice Hornets uniforms.

I'll take having the Nordiques at all even if it means having them in those jerseys, especially assuming they eventually go back to the classic sweaters, probably in the 2010s.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'll take having the Nordiques at all even if it means having them in those jerseys, especially assuming they eventually go back to the classic sweaters, probably in the 2010s.

I imagine it'd end up a lot like the Fisherman jerseys; the husky crest lasts a rather short amount of time before getting swapped for a color-matched version of the original logo before they eventually they rebrand back to a darker version of their original color scheme (something akin to navy and maroon) and then finally fully revert to their original colors sometime in the 2010's.

In an old NFB (or should I say ONF) documentary, we learned that the original iglogo in 1972 was royal blue and kind of a teal-ish color. The organization changed it to red and light blue before their first season. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/evPkmSAZBdo?t=780

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

In an old NFB (or should I say ONF) documentary, we learned that the original iglogo in 1972 was royal blue and kind of a teal-ish color. The organization changed it to red and light blue before their first season. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/evPkmSAZBdo?t=780

I'll be honest: that's a little more appealing. More unique than red and blue and gives the Nordogs set a little more historical relevance, at least color-wise. I'd love to see someone mock up the Nordiques jerseys in those colors.

14 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'll be honest: that's a little more appealing. More unique than red and blue and gives the Nordogs set a little more historical relevance, at least color-wise. I'd love to see someone mock up the Nordiques jerseys in those colors.

spacer.png

spacer.png

While it's not terrible, it's also a bit boring-looking, visually. Doesn't really have a whole lot of pop to it visually like the colors they went with. I have a feeling it was scrapped in favor of the final design for that reason.

You have the colors backward: the lighter shade of blue is the outside. the stick, and presumably the uniform base, the darker blue is the inside and the puck. 

It's interesting for sure. There's something to be said for the red popping off white and blue well, but le bleu, blanc, et rouge are Canadiens colors, and red is English Canada. Interdit!  (Though I have suggested for a while that a small part of ensuring the Nordiques' future may have been making a play for the Maritimes as an extension of their territory as the easternmost team. The Senators claim it now but I don't think they've ever really taken root that far east. I'm not even totally sure they've taken root in Gatineau. The Maritimes seem to be a Leafs/Habs/Bruins/Avs/Pens/Sens/whoever hodgepodge.)

I've always wanted the Nordiques to combine the beloved Fleurdelisé with the lesser-known Quebec City flag, so that they're representing the entire province but also the city. Maybe put the city flag or an isolated Don de Dieu on the shoulders in place of the fleur-de-lis. That also takes them to the same place they wanted to go to begin with: a light blue for the province and a darker blue for the city.

Avs Considering Bringing Back Nordiques Uniforms in 2021

May 12, 2020 - 16:03 PM

If the Hurricanes could resurrect the Whalers, why couldn’t the Colorado Avalanche do the same with the Quebec Nordiques? The team was asked that very important question by The Athletic recently and we got ourselves a somewhat hopeful answer. “Next […]

Read More...

As much as I LOVE the Nordiques jerseys, isn't this like saying "to celebrate our 25th anniversary in Colorado, we are going to wear the jerseys from the city that we took the team from"? I guess I just don't understand why their 25th anniversary in Colorado would prompt them to wear Quebec's jerseys...

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The Hurricanes left a comment here that said “do it against us and we’ll wear our Whalers stuff”. 

*IASIP gif*

Isn't the Whalers throwback blue? So that would mean either the Canes get white throwbacks or the Avs go with white Nordiques jerseys. 

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want to see the Stars play the Wild in these in Minnesota: 

spacer.png

I think it’d be fun to watch the amount of salt pouring out of Minnesota if they did that. 

I think it'd be even better if while the Stars were in true throwbacks, the Wild wore fauxbacks in the exact same style but with Wild colors. They could even make a North Star-style W!

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Isn't the Whalers throwback blue? So that would mean either the Canes get white throwbacks or the Avs go with white Nordiques jerseys. 

The Hurricanes wear green Whalers throwbacks. But yes, that would result on color-on-color (which is not unheard of in the NHL)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

The article mentions the unused 1995/96 Nordiques uniforms as "purple and teal" -- weren't they going to be navy blue and teal? I do wonder how they would've looked with the purple, though.

Quebec Nordiques Unused Uniform - National Hockey League (NHL ...

Purple. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

37 minutes ago, QCS said:

I think it'd be even better if while the Stars were in true throwbacks, the Wild wore fauxbacks in the exact same style but with Wild colors. They could even make a North Star-style W!

I thought they did it the other way around for their old-timers' game but apparently they did just wear North Stars sweaters. Cool!

56 minutes ago, QCS said:

Just wait until some vocal minority demands a rebrand of the Wild into the North Stars, leading to just a nasty branding/history situation all around over a pair of mediocre franchises. 

Granted, a Kelly/Yellow (no black) third would be lovely for the Wild. Then they just go back to Kelly/Yellow and pull and Wizards, being the old team in all but name.

I'd hate to lose the red and forest green color scheme, however, a North Stars throwback would be nice as a one off or third. Better that then the black jerseys there were rumors about...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived