squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The same kinds of people who made the Peyote and Wild Wing two of the very best selling Reverse Retros of them all? Funny how those two wacky designs are huge sellers but apparently this one would be an awful seller despite how :censored:ing infamous it is and how many people were demanding it when the RR program was initially leaked.

People love kitschy :censored: and nostalgia, and these are both; it could have easily been a huge seller.

People love kitschy and nostalgia. But those were terrible then and they would be terrible now. 

The other two uniforms were cool at the time. The Islanders uniform was so forced to be something that it wasn't and it was Long island that it never caught on. Ducks and Coyotes with over the top colors sold. Islander with forced colors with no real identity never did and if it ever does I will be surprised. 

7 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Not to be nitpicky, but I'd like a little credit for my own concept.

And to toss my hat in the ring - the Isles' RR look gorgeous, but they are still boring. Teal fishsticks would've been much better.

Didn't mean to take credit for your concept, it was just a random person who posted it on twitter and they obviously didn't credit you either lol. But good job, looks great

8 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

You're implying the Ducks jerseys are better or worse than the other two?

IMO that Ducks logo is just so embarrassing it ruins the rest of the jersey.  I like unique templates of the 90s (Stars, Avs, Bos 3rd) so I think the NYI and PHX looks were appealing.

(By the way I can't think of a clever Earth Crisis tie-in but I never thought I'd see a band like that referenced here haha!  So there are at least 2 fans of heavy music here)

18 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The thing is its a mandatory league-wide promotion, so I don't understand why some people would be upset about their team having to wear something kooky. Its not like they randomly decided to debut yet another of their awful BFBS alts of their own volition.

I actually think the Red Wings would have been better off with BFBS than what they came up with or at least GFGS like the Leafs and Jets did, I mean they added gray anyway. I wouldn't even have minded it if it's was just two games and gone forever. They probably would have sold a lot better too because black is cool and "🔥"

14 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

No idea if it means anything but all the Avs jerseys are on sale right now:

https://www.altitudeauthentics.com/collections/avalanche-spring-cleaning

That St. Patrick's Day one is tempting. The plaid on the sleeves is the cherry on top. Probably wouldn't arrive in time for March 17, though.

On 3/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, BigBubba said:

the throwbacks they wore for their centennial a few years ago had full collars

Well, that's because those throwbacks were just their regular Edge jerseys with a different name/number style.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, philly97flyer said:

Also I’m still trying to figure out why Lou has say on these like this. He’s a hockey ops guy. You’d think ownership would have final say on uniforms/merchandising.

You don't hire Lou Lamoriello to not make decisions

I’m hearing adidas is putting out a new fabric for next year, which is why all these changes are being made. 

35 minutes ago, _J_ said:

I’m hearing adidas is putting out a new fabric for next year, which is why all these changes are being made. 

I believe it. I feel like some sort of upcoming template or fabric change must be part of why Kraken haven't been able to release retail jerseys yet, even though they released the design right away. 

46 minutes ago, _J_ said:

All these changes? Sorry, which ones?

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

All these changes? Sorry, which ones?

Sorry, brain and keys not working.

It's the reason why we're seeing a lot of the deep sales, not to mention jerseys show up in Ross, Burlington and the like.

Could we see a change to the jersey collars? I know that's been one of the big complaints about the Adidas template so far amongst fans, and I wonder if they've been using the specialty jerseys from Winter Classics to test fan reception for that design. Wouldn't be shocked if certain teams also put in complaints about the original collar design (Habs and Hawks spring to mind, maybe Arizona if they want to bring back the original collar design for the Kachina jerseys).

On 3/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, philly97flyer said:

Also I’m still trying to figure out why Lou has say on these like this. He’s a hockey ops guy. You’d think ownership would have final say on uniforms/merchandising.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

You don't hire Lou Lamoriello to not make decisions

What if the ownership and Lou were all on the same page on that issue...I'd think if Malkin and Ledecky really wanted to bring the fisherman back it'd be done.  Since it wasn't, I'm going to figure they didn't want it.

9 minutes ago, tp49 said:

What if the ownership and Lou were all on the same page on that issue...I'd think if Malkin and Ledecky really wanted to bring the fisherman back it'd be done.  Since it wasn't, I'm going to figure they didn't want it.

Funny, then why'd they do this basically at the same time as the Reverse Retro if Ledecky and Malkin hated the Fisherman? I'd have to imagine this kind of promotional stuff goes through them, so if they hated the Fisherman so passionately, they could've shut it down and forced them to do something related to the normal logo.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm sure they just don't want to bring it back at all, no sir. They definitely didn't do a big Fisherman-based promotion right around the same time the Reverse Retros were revealed, absolutely not. 😜 

Selling a few items in the team store, and having actually been there recently to see it's a small rack near the register, is very different from outfitting your roster in it, and when was this fisherman based promotion night you speak of?  As the RR's were revealed back in November during the offseason, only worn for the first time last weekend and the first game fans are actually allowed to be in the stands isn't until Thursday this week, I'd think if you were going to have an appreciation night for something you might want to have people in the stands to see it.

Thus, I make my point again.  If Malkin and Ledecky really wanted to bring the fisherman (to be clearer as an RR jersey) back it'd be done.  Since it wasn't, I'm going to figure they didn't want it.  

On 3/8/2021 at 12:26 PM, Nordiks_19 said:

I mean, there's a reason they only lasted 2 years. They looked horrible in the late 90's, and they would look horrible now

Yes, this is the appeal of them, at least for me - they look stupid and I love them for it

On 3/9/2021 at 1:53 AM, selgy said:

The other two uniforms were cool at the time. The Islanders uniform was so forced to be something that it wasn't and it was Long island that it never caught on. Ducks and Coyotes with over the top colors sold. Islander with forced colors with no real identity never did and if it ever does I will be surprised. 

The Ducks jersey was definitely not cool at the time. The players felt embarrassed to wear them, and the team ditched them after just six games. The Coyotes kept theirs around longer, but it was routinely named in "worst NHL jersey" lists.

The Islanders are far removed from the disastrous mid-'90s era, and the organization is in its most stable era since the dynasty. They should be able to have some fun and make a few bucks off the current trend of '90s nostalgia.

They shouldn't have to have fun if they don't want to. I hate these leaguewide uniform initiatives. Teams like the Blackhawks, Islanders, Canadiens, and Red Wings should have been able to opt out if they built their brands on continuity and they don't really have a lot of other ideas to draw upon. I think back to Steinbrenner not doing Turn Ahead The Clock because the Yankees' uniforms were timeless, or Lamoriello himself not doing a press conference for the Edge rollout in '07 because the Devils didn't change anything. Who needed a Concepts folder paint-bucket job of a Blackhawks sweater no one remembers? 

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They shouldn't have to have fun if they don't want to. I hate these leaguewide uniform initiatives. Teams like the Blackhawks, Islanders, Canadiens, and Red Wings should have been able to opt out if they built their brands on continuity and they don't really have a lot of other ideas to draw upon. I think back to Steinbrenner not doing Turn Ahead The Clock because the Yankees' uniforms were timeless, or Lamoriello himself not doing a press conference for the Edge rollout in '07 because the Devils didn't change anything. Who needed a Concepts folder paint-bucket job of a Blackhawks sweater no one remembers? 

I mean, three of those four found ideas. One of them was terrible, one was good and one was thoroughly mediocre, but they were ideas. I think the Isles could've done some kind of fauxback ala Vegas if they were really stretched for ideas on what to do with their own history, but I think the idea was solid as a way to let teams have some fun with their jerseys without having to affect their main look, retire a popular alternate or pray they get one of the event games.