squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, three of those four found ideas. One of them was terrible, one was good and one was thoroughly mediocre, but they were ideas.

On the other hand someone might reasonably prefer good status quo to changes bad or ugly. Doing something isn't always better than doing nothing. First, do no harm.

Watching sabres (reverse retro) vs pens (home feed so there’s rr commercials to buy theirs). What is the actual theory behind the reverse retro? I thought the idea was to take a retro jersey and flip the colors...like (although stupid and terrible looking) red Blues jersey. But you have Buffalo in a retro complete with retro logos, but new colors, Pittsburgh does a retro flip, but current logo, Detroit uses a practice jersey...so basically I’m really confused with the program. Is it just a 4th fashion jersey with no real “reverse retro” rules to follow?

16 minutes ago, hormone said:

Watching sabres (reverse retro) vs pens (home feed so there’s rr commercials to buy theirs). What is the actual theory behind the reverse retro? I thought the idea was to take a retro jersey and flip the colors...like (although stupid and terrible looking) red Blues jersey. But you have Buffalo in a retro complete with retro logos, but new colors, Pittsburgh does a retro flip, but current logo, Detroit uses a practice jersey...so basically I’m really confused with the program. Is it just a 4th fashion jersey with no real “reverse retro” rules to follow?

It's just taking a retro design and putting a spin on it, is all. The "reverse" part isn't literally reversing, more figurative.

The Ducks put this out yesterday. Still no full body shots of the whole set, but you can see the eggplant pants with the stripe and then what looks like all-eggplant gloves.

159300014_10158314090833472_658256800824

They linked to a Breakout Night page on their website in the post, but I got a 404 ...so take that for what it is.

("Breakout Jersey" is what the Ducks have been referring to as the name of this jersey)

7 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Ducks put this out yesterday. Still no full body shots of the whole set, but you can see the eggplant pants with the stripe and then what looks like all-eggplant gloves.

159300014_10158314090833472_658256800824

They linked to a Breakout Night page on their website in the post, but I got a 404 ...so take that for what it is.

("Breakout Jersey" is what the Ducks have been referring to as the name of this jersey)

I thought the 93 was an odd choice at first, since it’s 95-96 jersey, but then I realized 93 was more about Wild Wing itself, and the inaugural season. 

1305230163.0.jpg

puke GIF

I like minny's RR but this is not the matchup to wear it in

That red stripe on Vegas golds doesn't look like it belongs

Bettman: Helmet Ads “More Likely Than Not” to Stay in NHL

March 12, 2021 - 14:01 PM

Welp, so much for just one season… In an article posted by Mark J. Burns of the Sports Buisness Journal on Thursday, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman revealed that the league will “more likely than not” be bringing back in-game helmet ads for the 2021-22 season. “It doesn’t necessarily

Read More...

Ugh. He said too much when he didn't really need to say anything right now. Coming on the heels of the announced TV deal with ESPN (which should have a huge jump in TV revenue) makes it pretty awkward. 

He really shouldn't have said anything until October, and even then, the excuse that "it's to make up for lost exposure" doesn't hold as much weight in an environment where fans are in the arena. 

But for those that will say "I knew it, owners won't turn down free cash"...you are/were correct for now. 

This shouldn't be surprising. Like in any business, revenue drives decisions, and once you find a new way to generate it, you don't just give it up. You can't unbreak that seal, to use a bad metaphor. It's now a line item on a budget that teams will try to grow rather than replace. 

3 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This shouldn't be surprising. Like in any business, revenue drives decisions, and once you find a new way to generate it, you don't just give it up. You can't unbreak that seal, to use a bad metaphor. It's now a line item on a budget that teams will try to grow rather than replace. 

Yep, which is why all the "it's just a sticker. Not a big deal." people rankled me so much. It's just a helmet sticker today, but two seasons from now it's a small jersey ad, then it's two more jersey ads, then it's ads on the pants. Maybe those people don't care, I wish I didn't, but I'm not happy that the league's going down the path of the same kind of visual pollution that plagues most other hockey leagues around the world. 

4 minutes ago, Sport said:

Yep, which is why all the "it's just a sticker. Not a big deal." people rankled me so much. It's just a helmet sticker today, but two seasons from now it's a small jersey ad, then it's two more jersey ads, then it's ads on the pants. Maybe those people don't care, I wish I didn't, but I'm not happy that the league's going down the path of the same kind of visual pollution that plagues most other hockey leagues around the world. 

Seeing the minor leagues already doing this, it was only a matter of time. The shutdown last year just sped it up. 

I wish every sport had the outrage of baseball fans that flipped out about Spider-Man being printed on the bases. With sleeve ads accepted in soccer and the shoulder ads in the NBA we’re getting closer and closer to Liga-MX style NASCAR jerseys in all major sports. All we can do is vote with our wallets and not buy replicas when they do this (fortunately MLS in particular has been making this easy lately with their design choices).

1 hour ago, bowld said:

That red stripe on Vegas golds doesn't look like it belongs

Thank you. I have said that a couple times. 

I get that it follows the primaries, but i still don't like it. It's just floating there pointlessly.  

On 3/9/2021 at 7:47 AM, _RH_ said:

IMO that Ducks logo is just so embarrassing it ruins the rest of the jersey.  I like unique templates of the 90s (Stars, Avs, Bos 3rd) so I think the NYI and PHX looks were appealing.

(By the way I can't think of a clever Earth Crisis tie-in but I never thought I'd see a band like that referenced here haha!  So there are at least 2 fans of heavy music here)

Depends, would you say the Wild Wing jersey is "absolute complete moral degeneration"? 😂

I still like that jersey no matter how goofy it looks cause Paul Kariya was my favorite player growing up

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

but you can see the eggplant pants with the stripe

Nice

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

and then what looks like all-eggplant gloves.

Lame

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

I wish every sport had the outrage of baseball fans that flipped out about Spider-Man being printed on the bases

Lol MLB made the nike logo the focus of their jerseys and the fans ate it up, they're not any more feverishly anti-advertisement than anyone else. Also voting with your wallet never works, the average consumer will buy anything you put in front of them. The NFL could replace TV numbers with the mcdonalds logo and sales would not be affected in any meaningful way