2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

I would like to reiterate that I DON'T LIKE THE HELMET ADS. 

I would also like to reiterate that I DON'T NOTICE THEM AT ALL DURING GAME ACTION.

That was my only point about the ads. But, I feel like instead of talking about the continuation of the helmet ads, certain posters took it upon themselves to start the "i told you so" circuit and to act like its a battle of good vs. evil.

I'll be honest. The shiny gold trash that Vegas has been putting on their melons bothers me a lot more that most of these helmet ads 😂

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I would like to reiterate that I DON'T LIKE THE HELMET ADS. 

I would also like to reiterate that I DON'T NOTICE THEM AT ALL DURING GAME ACTION.

There's a lot of small uniform details I don't notice during "game action". When the TV broadcasts switch to a closeup, however, I notice the ads constantly. If they weren't noticeable the teams wouldn't have sold the space and we wouldn't be talking about them. 

Imagine if every team replaced their shoulder patches with ads. We wouldn't "notice them during game action" either, but that would still be upsetting. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't like any ads at all. That said the realist in me understands thats the inevitable path we'll be going down. What I hope for is that they'll at least be done somewhat subtly like some of the NBA teams (Cleveland, Boston, Orlando for example). This is my biggest gripe with the helmet ads. Some of them, like Calgary or Washington, actually look pretty good. Others like Pittsburgh or Nashville are jarring eyesores that immediately pull the eye from the rest of the uniform towards the side of the helmet. In an ideal world the logos would be tweaked to fit a team's colour scheme, but I'm not holding my breath.

If they start going down the route of European hockey I don't think I can stomach that though.

So, since I said it was cool to help pay for the bubble, but not after that, where does it put me? I hate the ads, just like I hate the weird chrome fad that's going around. You know what else I hate? The Stadium Series uniforms that are coming out. LA and Colorado's were horrible insults to hockey design, and a ton of you folks said that, no, its just progressive jersey design. Why the double standard? Why are we all of a sudden creating a right and wrong side for ads, but not a right and wrong side when it comes to "unique," "modern," or "progressive" design choices, like the chrome helmets or the 2019 Stadium Series?

Just now, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Why the double standard? Why are we all of a sudden creating a right and wrong side for ads, but not a right and wrong side when it comes to "unique," "modern," or "progressive" design choices, like the chrome helmets or the 2019 Stadium Series?

This is a false equivalency and not a "double standard".

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

This is a false equivalency and not a "double standard".

Wrong term, same thing. You know what I mean. Folks talk of moving goalposts, but also, the sidelines have moved. If its straight design, we are able to talk normally. But with the ads, there's only a "right" or a "wrong" side. With these talks of ads, for some reason there is no middle ground. If other abominations of uniform design can have their defenders or supporters, so too can the ads. But hey, theology and rhetoric don't apply today, I suppose, do they?

I’ve always been curious about how ads are perceived on vintage uniforms vs. modern uniforms. Obviously, the uniforms were designed more holistically as a complete ad/uni combo back then, but I feel things like this are generally considered charming and beautiful in contrast to modern attempts at the same concept.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

So, since I said it was cool to help pay for the bubble, but not after that, where does it put me? I hate the ads, just like I hate the weird chrome fad that's going around. You know what else I hate? The Stadium Series uniforms that are coming out. LA and Colorado's were horrible insults to hockey design, and a ton of you folks said that, no, its just progressive jersey design. Why the double standard? Why are we all of a sudden creating a right and wrong side for ads, but not a right and wrong side when it comes to "unique," "modern," or "progressive" design choices, like the chrome helmets or the 2019 Stadium Series?

Because one is creativity and the other is economics. Not equivalent in the least.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

14 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Wrong term, same thing. You know what I mean. Folks talk of moving goalposts, but also, the sidelines have moved. If its straight design, we are able to talk normally. But with the ads, there's only a "right" or a "wrong" side. With these talks of ads, for some reason there is no middle ground. If other abominations of uniform design can have their defenders or supporters, so too can the ads. But hey, theology and rhetoric don't apply today, I suppose, do they?

Its not. Nobody is saying that, people are voicing their opinions and you're interpreting them as declarations this board is laying down on everyone.

15 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’ve always been curious about how ads are perceived on vintage uniforms vs. modern uniforms. Obviously, the uniforms were designed more holistically as a complete ad/uni combo back then, but I feel things like this are generally considered charming and beautiful in contrast to modern attempts at the same concept.

spacer.png

Rainiers always seemed good because it sounds like a fairly logical nickname even if the beer company wasn't around. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

24 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Rainiers always seemed good because it sounds like a fairly logical nickname even if the beer company wasn't around. 

There does seem something odd though about naming the plurality of an entire team after a specific individual geographic feature though. 

23 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Its not. Nobody is saying that, people are voicing their opinions and you're interpreting them as declarations this board is laying down on everyone.

Quoting this for the people in the back.

Seriously -- and I'm saying this my moderator hat on here -- let's dial back the rhetoric in this thread. They're helmet ads; nobody likes them. But how much people are willing to tolerate them does not warrant the levels of vitriol on display over the last page or two. These are people's opinions, and we're all best to remember that. Interpreting them somehow and hard-and-fast rules to rail against isn't productive to anyone, nor is it conducive to civil discussion. And that's what we aim for here: civility. 

As I've said in this thread before: You're free to disagree with each other, but do so in a civil manner. If you can't do so without condescension, sniping and otherwise general unpleasantness, I have no qualms about shutting this thread down and handing out warning points.

6 hours ago, Andy said:

It's at the expense of uniform aesthetic enthusiasts, which is what this is a forum for. All this arguing about morality or whatever is silly. Ads make things look worse and no one wants them, there's no need to explain capitalism. Everyone understands it.

That's not really what expense means. Not liking something doesn't mean that it's personally costing you something. I don't like college sports, but that doesn't mean they operate at my expense.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

spacer.png

I've made my opinions known about helmet ads earlier in this thread and I'm not interested in repeating the same stuff over and over again so I'll just post this meme lol

In an effort to make my post a little more uni related, I'm really looking forward to the Ducks wearing their RR tonight. I just hope they won't be wearing dark socks. I guess we'll find out soon!

18 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

There does seem something odd though about naming the plurality of an entire team after a specific individual geographic feature though. 

Fair point...but there is at least one comparable, IMO...there's only one Sun. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Fair point...but there is at least one comparable, IMO...there's only one Sun. 

I agree with you in principle, but imo theres a bit of difference between the Sun and all the cultural, scientific, mythological etc baggage that comes with it and a specific mountain from a specific area. Its not necessarily a logical argument, but the names do feel different.

If I wanted to get really pedantic though, I could make the argument that there are billions of suns, and the Sun, "Solis just our Sun.

Archived