2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

57 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Much like Firestorm, you seem to be overestimating casual fans' attention to detail. Yes, they don't look identical to the Gretzky era, but most fans simply see a black jersey with basic white & silver stripes and a crest with a crown in it. I'm not saying the current set couldn't use some updates (a hem stripe on the home jersey is much needed), but it isn't a complete mess. The Patriots made some improvements to their championship look without completely burning it to the ground & starting from scratch.

And unlike the other examples you mentioned, black & silver is tied to two separate eras, which just happen to be the high points for a franchise that has struggled to remain relevant in a crowded market. 

So I think we are saying the same thing actually. I don't think black/silver is the issue. The issue is the rest of it. Like I said, if they just went back to the Gretzky era unis, they would essential fix their look without changing their identity and no one would complain. 

I actually disagree with the bolded/underlined. I think the ONLY thing salvageable from the current set is the color scheme. The rest is awful. I have never liked their current set. The piping, the crest, no hem stripe, too little silver. I don't mind the idea of the team sticking with black/silver. But the rest needs to be fixed. If the idea of keeping this color scheme is to keep a continuous identity, I would argue that this set hurts that cause because it is so uninspired and cluttered. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

So I think we are saying the same thing actually. I don't think black/silver is the issue. The issue is the rest of it. Like I said, if they just went back to the Gretzky era unis, they would essential fix their look without changing their identity and no one would complain. 

I actually disagree with the bolded/underlined. I think the ONLY thing salvageable from the current set is the color scheme. The rest is awful. I have never liked their current set. The piping, the crest, no hem stripe, too little silver. I don't mind the idea of the team sticking with black/silver. But the rest needs to be fixed. If the idea of keeping this color scheme is to keep a continuous identity, I would argue that this set hurts that cause because it is so uninspired and cluttered. 

I mean the away jersey is basically the same template as the Gretzky set with piping added & the numbers moved out of the sleeve stripe. I think all you need to do is remove the piping, add the hemstripe to the home jersey, and update the logo. It isn't a disaster like the Sens & Flames previous primaries. I'd like to see a more simplified crown logo instead of the shield. Something like the one from this concept:

spacer.png

I agree with @CreamSoda about the Caps looking better sans text on their RR.  I don't HATE their striping, but I was curious how it would work without that "extra" red line:

xUGtush.png

Personally I think that's a simplification to an already busy uniform.  The white jersey/socks could just swap everything red to white and everything blue to red.

17 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

On the Kings, i get the argument about keeping uniforms from a successful era. That being said, I would say the black/silver Gretzky era and todays set really don't look alike other than color scheme. I don't think anyone would throw a fit if the kings just went back to the Gretzky era set and kept the black/silver scheme. The issue is that this new set is brutal with the piping and the awful home plate logo. So when you see this RR in purple and yellow compared to the terrible current set, you realize how good they could look. 

Think of it this way... if the Rams won three Super Bowls in a row in bone/gradient trash, should they be married to those design items forever? The Capitals won the cup in their piping mess of a jersey, yet we are all ready for a change. Dallas won the Cup in the star-hemmed green/black set, but I would say their current home away set is head over heals better. Just because you looked bad winning a championship, doesn't mean you need to always look bad. 

Got that Right!!!!!

Click to view the GIF | Snoopy dance, Happy snoopy, Snoopy funny

8 hours ago, _RH_ said:

I agree with @CreamSoda about the Caps looking better sans text on their RR.  I don't HATE their striping, but I was curious how it would work without that "extra" red line:

xUGtush.png

Personally I think that's a simplification to an already busy uniform.  The white jersey/socks could just swap everything red to white and everything blue to red.

I think the red stripes are superfluous. I prefer the cleaner look. And yes, obviously it looks better without the wordmark. And the stars on the pants. All that extra stuff is like overkill and I don't like it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

23 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I mean the away jersey is basically the same template as the Gretzky set with piping added & the numbers moved out of the sleeve stripe. I think all you need to do is remove the piping, add the hemstripe to the home jersey, and update the logo. It isn't a disaster like the Sens & Flames previous primaries. I'd like to see a more simplified crown logo instead of the shield. Something like the one from this concept:

spacer.png

I think the shield makes sense to be used on the current black home jersey. The purple era of uniform had a shield for primary logo, but used only the crown for the jersey crest. The Chevrolet, Gretzky-era black unis from the 90s used the full shield crest, and the current ones are mimicking that era. That's probably why the LA Shield is used front and center.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, mcj882000 said:

I know we've passed this argument already and I don't intend to drag us back to it, I've already made my thoughts clear on it the first time we went through it; but I just wanted to comment on one reply before moving on:

Yeah, professional sports never existed in other economic systems, right? oh waitrightoops

Gee, I wonder why those haven't existed in 30 years.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

8 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Gee, I wonder why those haven't existed in 30 years.

The fact that said economic systems aren't presently in widespread use is irrelevant to the point that, yes, professional sports can indeed exist outside of capitalism.

3 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

The fact that said economic systems aren't presently in widespread use is irrelevant to the point that, yes, professional sports can indeed exist outside of capitalism.

My point wasn't that they couldn't exist at all but would always have a shelf life.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

4 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

My point wasn't that they couldn't exist at all but would always have a shelf life.

Everything has a shelf life. Nothing's permanent in this world, everything's transitory.  

Regardless, throwuascenario @mcj882000 this isn't a place to use sports as a cover to debate the pros and cons of your preferred economic ideology. Leave this crap out of this thread. 

On 3/20/2021 at 3:11 PM, habsfan1 said:

I think the shield makes sense to be used on the current black home jersey. The purple era of uniform had a shield for primary logo, but used only the crown for the jersey crest. The Chevrolet, Gretzky-era black unis from the 90s used the full shield crest, and the current ones are mimicking that era. That's probably why the LA Shield is used front and center.

I understand the connection to the original black & silver logo, but that doesn't mean it looks good. More than 30 years of the franchise's history has featured a standalone crown on the front of the primary jerseys, so there's no reason to be pot committed to the shield.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:18 AM, Bayne said:

I think the red stripes are superfluous. I prefer the cleaner look. And yes, obviously it looks better without the wordmark. And the stars on the pants. All that extra stuff is like overkill and I don't like it.

The stars on the pants are a pleasant and unobtrusive reference to the DC flag. I say keep those, and lose the shoulder patch (or replace it with a simpler design.)

Adidas Mighty Ducks alert, but not the Mighty Ducks you're thinking of.

The show comes out Friday and this game today is in Minnesota, so it's serendipitous.

I also kind of assume that it's also some sort of marketing effort because the Ducks account, and the NHL, have mentioned the show once or twice before. The Mighty Ducks hashtag is for the show, the Fly Together hashtag is the Ducks "official" one they started before this season

IbjBaeE.png

It probably helps that the league is back in bed with Disney. ESPN has been pretty shameless when it comes to promoting Disney+ content, so I'm sure there will plenty of marketing opportunities here.

20 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It probably helps that the league is back in bed with Disney. ESPN has been pretty shameless when it comes to promoting Disney+ content, so I'm sure there will plenty of marketing opportunities here.

The Ducks have also started to get back into bed with Disney (or let Disney back into the Ducks bed?) a bit ever since the 25th anniversary a couple years back.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived