2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

15 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I'd hate to lose the red and forest green color scheme, however, a North Stars throwback would be nice as a one off or third. Better that then the black jerseys there were rumors about...

Those failed TV testing, so I can't see them going for that black jersey again. If there's a throwback slot coming to the league soon, I wouldn't be shocked if the Wild went with these with their logo on the front;

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Those failed TV testing, so I can't see them going for that black jersey again. If there's a throwback slot coming to the league soon, I wouldn't be shocked if the Wild went with these with their logo on the front;

spacer.png

I'd much rather see these...

51NqJTORi9L._SY400_.jpg

or these

neal-broten-of-the-minnesota-north-stars

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 5/11/2020 at 11:03 PM, QCS said:

I'll be honest: that's a little more appealing. More unique than red and blue and gives the Nordogs set a little more historical relevance, at least color-wise. I'd love to see someone mock up the Nordiques jerseys in those colors.

While I love the actual Nord's color scheme, I do like the double blue look- it just looks icy and northern and cold, fitting for the team name.

Definitely. And don't forget that one of the things Quebec City is famous for, besides being old, is the winter carnival with its ice hotel. Cold, icy, and red-excluding is exactly the way to go.

I was shocked to discover that the city flag only dates back to 1987. The Nordiques' goofy-ass igloo-mistaken-for-an-elephant is a more tenured symbol of the city than its flag is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I do think a double-blue jersey'd be great as an alternate or something of that sort.

But I think the Nordiques as they are have become the NHL Expos; a brand too beloved in its entirety to really suggest massive changes to it, despite it probably being a bit outdated. Any new NHL team in Québec City would be risking a lot by screwing with that kind of nostalgia, just like how any new MLB team in Montréal would be risking a lot by not leaning into the Expos brand.

30 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

But I think the Nordiques as they are have become the NHL Expos; a brand too beloved in its entirety to really suggest massive changes to it, despite it probably being a bit outdated. Any new NHL team in Québec City would be risking a lot by screwing with that kind of nostalgia, just like how any new MLB team in Montréal would be risking a lot by not leaning into the Expos brand.

I dunno, I think the Jets are a pretty great example of how changing can work. The old Winnipeg identity was pretty well loved, even though it was woefully outdated, and honestly not that great to begin with. I remember plenty of people on here saying that whatever they came up with would never compare. But they went with something new, and honestly it's been a really solid identity with staying power.

I'm willing to bet a new Nordiques team could come up with something new that works.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I don't remember a lot of warm feelings for the Jets' uniforms or logos here, just an insistence that they had to be the Winnipeg Jets and not the Falcons or the Manitoba anything. Everything else was negotiable.

Quebecor could try to sell the public on doing the igloo in double blue, but the Jets are kinda in the way there, aren't they? You could nibble around the edges with upgrading from standard-issue NHL athletic block, but I think the light blue, the fleurs-des-lis, and the igloo are all off the table. 

How do fans from the original cities feel about this kind of thing? Is it cool to see them revived or a reminder of what you lost? I’d liken it to an ex, if enough time has passed and you have something better, then I’d be ok. If they were doing well and you’re still down and out, I’d be upset.

KISSwall09.jpg

That’s great for Avs, but it’ll probably get lots of mixed reactions like Hurricanes and Nationals. I know it. I’m not sure, but I think Jets would wear Thrashers jerseys in a few years later  I’m don’t mind that. 

I’m happy for Avs brings back Nordiques jerseys. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

19 minutes ago, Eastport76 said:

I’m not sure, but I think Jets would wear Thrashers jerseys in near future.

I'm not sure within the next 200 years is the near future, but YMMV. 

There's very little reason for the Jets to wear Thrashers unis. 

If the Avs and Joe Sakic want to bring back Nordiques jerseys...hmm...ok...but there's really no reason for them to do it either. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As a completely unconnected person to either city, and the move happening when I was a toddler... I don't really like it. Maybe the jersey design and colours, but not the logo or the fleur-de-lis.

I guess I didn't really pay attention to the Hartford jersey/Carolina thing, and don't really have an opinion on that one. Maybe it's a Canada/Bettman-resentment thing.

I’m totally unconnected to any of these teams or cities, but I don’t like it either.  Seems... insulting.

I am connected to Milwaukee and Brooklyn, and I don’t like this nonsense in baseball.  I don’t think the Braves should wear their 1957 throwbacks, and the only thing I liked about the Dodgers putting on Brooklyn drag was that it finally made retro “B” merchandise available. 

You decided to abandon your home town. Fine, but then stop trying to have it both ways.

Hey, the Nats and Hurricanes did it last year.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The difference is that Hartford has never been in the return talk and this is the same time that Stu Sternberg proposed the idiotic Montréal/Tampa Bay split for the Rays. 

These circumstances do not parallel the Avs/Nordiques.

Thread inspired me to buy this shirt: https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/4443440-defunct-quebec-nordiques-hockey

Anyway, Hurricanes fans are not too fond of Whalers nostalgics who wish the team had never left Hartford and will mock them relentlessly in that distinct Hurricanes fan way -- understandable, but then also no one should be all that fond of Hurricanes fans, either. But when the Hurricanes finally did have Whalers Night, everyone seemed to be pretty pleased with it, probably because it was yet another way to get one over on the Hartford faithful. I don't think the same dynamic really exists between Quebec City and Denver, partly because of the language barrier but also because Avs fans online never made an identity out of trying to post like @dril, but it still doesn't feel like the greatest idea in the world to me. 

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’m totally unconnected to any of these teams or cities, but I don’t like it either.  Seems... insulting.

I am connected to Milwaukee and Brooklyn, and I don’t like this nonsense in baseball.  I don’t think the Braves should wear their 1957 throwbacks, and the only thing I liked about the Dodgers putting on Brooklyn drag was that it finally made retro “B” merchandise available. 

You decided to abandon your home town. Fine, but then stop trying to have it both ways.

I have no problem with the Dodgers doing it or the Giants.

What it comes down to, for me at least: If you keep the team name, have at it. You change the name? I agree, it is insulting.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived