2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

5 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Jake Oettinger got some new pads to go with the Stars third jersey.

The green doesn't quite match, but it fits the skyline theme a bit better than the jersey itself.

How is that uniform suppose to represent a skyline? 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, dont care said:

How is that uniform suppose to represent a skyline? 

It's a reference to the Bank of America Plaza, which is the tallest building in Dallas.

bank-of-america-plaza-jld1013*1200xx1440

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Jake Oettinger got some new pads to go with the Stars third jersey.

The green doesn't quite match, but it fits the skyline theme a bit better than the jersey itself.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but (1) I really like the color of his pads and (2) they make the jersey striping look more highlighter-yellow to me. 

The color on the padding is superior to the green of the jersey. It's much more of a bright kelly green that matches the inspiration better than the slightly more yellow highlighter color featured on the jerseys.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Adidas Mighty Ducks alert, but not the Mighty Ducks you're thinking of.

The show comes out Friday and this game today is in Minnesota, so it's serendipitous.

I also kind of assume that it's also some sort of marketing effort because the Ducks account, and the NHL, have mentioned the show once or twice before. The Mighty Ducks hashtag is for the show, the Fly Together hashtag is the Ducks "official" one they started before this season

So a thought just crossed my mind, how is this working?

We here on these boards should all know by now that the Ducks own everything related to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim franchise, but the movie stuff is still all Disney. Like it's one thing to wear these jerseys in an either an unofficial way or in a potential partnership with Disney. but the Ducks are, and have been for a couple years now, selling D-5 Mighty Ducks apparel which was only ever Disney.

Did the Ducks license the D-5 stuff from Disney? I know Lids/Jersey City (whoever that is in the States) had been selling movie jerseys, including the Mighty Ducks, last year (don't know if they still are) which I guess would also fall under a licensing thing.

IEI5Tg1.png

10 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Did the Ducks license the D-5 stuff from Disney? I know Lids/Jersey City (whoever that is in the States) had been selling movie jerseys, including the Mighty Ducks, last year (don't know if they still are) which I guess would also fall under a licensing thing.

I doubt the Ducks, the NHL, Adidas, or Fanatics would be using or selling anything without having the requisite formalities in place with Disney. So at the bare minimum there must be a license in place. I guess your point here is about trying to figure out the details of license--when was it signed, what does it cover, etc.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

5 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I doubt the Ducks, the NHL, Adidas, or Fanatics would be using or selling anything without having the requisite formalities in place with Disney. So at the bare minimum there must be a license in place. I guess your point here is about trying to figure out the details of license--when was it signed, what does it cover, etc.

Oh yeah, no I fully expect it's just a licensing thing. It's just an interesting situation considering the history there.

I also saw a comment mentioning that the crest is wrong because it has a white outline whereas the one in the movie didn't, which is true, and then somebody else responded that it was probably intentional because since they changed the logo and it's not completely movie accurate, they don't have to pay or ask for permission from Disney to use it. Which I am no lawyer, but I don't think that's how trademark law works.

IEI5Tg1.png

8 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Oh yeah, no I fully expect it's just a licensing thing. It's just an interesting situation considering the history there.

I also saw a comment mentioning that the crest is wrong because it has a white outline whereas the one in the movie didn't, which is true, and then somebody else responded that it was probably intentional because since they changed the logo and it's not completely movie accurate, they don't have to pay or ask for permission from Disney to use it. Which I am no lawyer, but I don't think that's how trademark law works.

Yeah a white outline wouldn't cancel out the trademark. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah a white outline wouldn't cancel out the trademark. 

Yep. If only it was that easy to dodge trademark infringement...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

That Stars neon jersey is plain ugly. I don't care who it's aimed for, it looks terrible. Just because "it's for kids" does it mean it's ok if it's bad?

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

That Stars neon jersey is plain ugly. I don't care who it's aimed for, it looks terrible. Just because "it's for kids" does it mean it's ok if it's bad?

Yeah, it’s awful. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Ducks were founded by the Disney Company in the early 90s. Disney sold them in 2005 to the current owners, and my guess is there is a deal in place for stuff like this.

11 hours ago, WBeltz said:

The Ducks were founded by the Disney Company in the early 90s. Disney sold them in 2005 to the current owners [...]

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

11 hours ago, WBeltz said:

and my guess is there is a deal in place for stuff like this.

I doubt it because that would require incredible foresight. 

The Ducks selling of D-5 merch is (very likely) just a licensing thing that the Ducks got from Disney a couple years back and now Disney wanted to use the Ducks for marketing again with the release of the TV series. Through in the recent ESPN deal and it's all coming together.

IEI5Tg1.png

17 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Ducks selling of D-5 merch is (very likely) just a licensing thing that the Ducks got from Disney a couple years back and now Disney wanted to use the Ducks for marketing again with the release of the TV series. Through in the recent ESPN deal and it's all coming together.

That's my thought too. My guess is that the Samuelis and the execs at Disney (if not Iger himself) communicate regularly about promotional ideas in Anaheim. The business leaders in the area probably aren't strangers. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

29 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That's my thought too. My guess is that the Samuelis and the execs at Disney (if not Iger himself) communicate regularly about promotional ideas in Anaheim. The business leaders in the area probably aren't strangers. 

I don't even think it's that deep. I don't doubt that the business leaders aren't strangers, especially with something as big as Disneyland, but the Ducks hadn't really done anything with Disney (that I'm aware of as a non-local fan of both the team and the theme park) since the sale and up until the 25th anniversary, when they did the first Ducks day at California Adventure and did a couple things related to the Mighty Ducks movies.

The Ducks and the NHL both made social media posts about one of the early trailers for the show, so it was at the very least some sort of an unofficial marketing thing at the time and I doubt that the Ducks decided to wear the jerseys on their own. Disney probably called up the Ducks/NHL and went "Hey, we used to own the team, they were named after this movie, they also started to directly reference their Disney past more. We've got a new show based on that movie coming out and we're going to buy the TV rights, so let's have them wear the movie jerseys."

(I kind of regret bringing up this question in the first place now when it was clearly just a licensing thing)

IEI5Tg1.png

These gold helmets for Las Vegas are, incidentally enough, going to end up being to their uniform what black pants are to the Saints uniforms. They have (had?) a uniform accessory that used to be their primary for certain uniforms (in the Saints' case, it was home and away alike) and they now actually refuse to use that accessory in favor of a clearly-inferior and clashing alternative. 

It's a worst possible outcome, honestly. Bad uniforms are generally bad in a collective sense. But when a good uniform is turned into a bad one out of stubborn insistence of looking bad? That's just heartbreaking. There's no way these gold helmets look better and yet that apparently is the way forward until further notice.

Like there wasn't enough reason already to dislike that franchise for being able to compete for the Stanley Cup from its very first season. The NHL didn't get enough flak for that embarrassment.

spacer.png

Archived