2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Dallas third's are the worst NHL jersey by long long ways.  It's truly horrendous and takes away games in their wonderful victory green sweaters.

They're special, but worst in the league is a bit extreme

13 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Like there wasn't enough reason already to dislike that franchise for being able to compete for the Stanley Cup from its very first season. The NHL didn't get enough flak for that embarrassment.

Apologies in advance for derailing the uniform talk, but this is a ridiculous narrative for several reasons. Did the NHL make the expansion draft rules more favourable for Vegas compared to previous expansion teams? Yes, but that's because they realized that if you want a team to succeed in a non-traditional market, ensuring they will be awful for their first 5 seasons isn't the best strategy (*cough* Atlanta *cough* Nashville). Did they somehow "rig" the draft to gift Vegas a Cup contender? Absolutely not. People seem to forget that reactions like these were the general consensus when the picks were named:

The most ridiculous element of your take is that the NHL should somehow be embarrassed by the success of the franchise. Vegas's run to the Finals was one of the best storylines the league has ever had, and it brought an incredible amount of attention to the league from places that otherwise wouldn't care about hockey. The Golden Knights have already cemented themselves as a model franchise, and the NHL should be proud of that. 

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Dallas third's are the worst NHL jersey by long long ways.  It's truly horrendous and takes away games in their wonderful victory green sweaters.

Agreed.  They degrade not only the Stars identity but the overall aesthetic of the league.  They look like Black Ice, fashion jerseys with a cheesy 'glow in the dark' gimmick...  Not something a professional sports franchise should be wearing.

16 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Apologies in advance for derailing the uniform talk, but this is a ridiculous narrative for several reasons. Did the NHL make the expansion draft rules more favourable for Vegas compared to previous expansion teams? Yes, but that's because they realized that if you want a team to succeed in a non-traditional market, ensuring they will be awful for their first 5 seasons isn't the best strategy (*cough* Atlanta *cough* Nashville). Did they somehow "rig" the draft to gift Vegas a Cup contender? Absolutely not. People seem to forget that reactions like these were the general consensus when the picks were named:

The most ridiculous element of your take is that the NHL should somehow be embarrassed by the success of the franchise. Vegas's run to the Finals was one of the best storylines the league has ever had, and it brought an incredible amount of attention to the league from places that otherwise wouldn't care about hockey. The Golden Knights have already cemented themselves as a model franchise, and the NHL should be proud of that. 

George Costanza Good Job GIF

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

39 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

23 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

George Costanza Good Job GIF

Agreed. I admit, I thought it was quite unfair that the Knights were so good, but then when I looked at their roster, I had to admit that the Knights were good because they were smart with their picks and earned their success. They were smart and did their research, so they earned their success. The NHL learnt from their mistakes in previous expansion drafts and Vegas' front office was smart with who they picked. Fleury was just the icing on the cake.

Exactly. It’s embarrasssing that an expansion team whose biggest star was a goalkeeper on the wrong side of his prime made a serious playoff run?

It’s embarrassing for the other teams, if anything. It’s not like they put together the hockey version of the Nets in one summer...

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Vegas's run to the Finals was one of the best storylines the league has ever had,

Unless you believe that it wasn't OK for the league to bend the rules to make sure that a team was successful.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

Agreed.  They degrade not only the Stars identity but the overall aesthetic of the league.  They look like Black Ice, fashion jerseys with a cheesy 'glow in the dark' gimmick...  Not something a professional sports franchise should be wearing.

The only challenger for worst would be the Oilers version...

3 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Unless you believe that it wasn't OK for the league to bend the rules to make sure that a team was successful.

They revised the rules because previous expansion drafts did not give a chance to even come close to contention.  Atlanta Thrashers, anyone? As has been stated, Vegas was smart with their picks. How many elite players were on the original team? Prior to the Knights coming around, Fleury was the only one that was really a name player. Their roster hardly said Cup contender at the time.

12 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

They revised the rules because previous expansion drafts did not give a chance to even come close to contention.

I don't like the league picking winners and losers.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

They made sure the team would be competitive, which seems fair to me considering they paid $500 million just to join the league. It's not like they were gifted a murderer's row of talent. They essentially got to pick from a pool of 3rd line forwards, 2nd pairing defensemen, and backup goalies.

Even the Knights themselves were surprised at the success. William Karlsson had 18 career goals, then suddenly had a 40 goal season. McPhee even acknowledged that guys like Neal & Perron were picked because they were on expiring contracts and would make good trade deadline chips. They abandoned their 3 year plan and became a win-now team.

14 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Theres plenty to dislike Vegas about, but being successful right out of the gate isn't one of them.

That's something you and I can't agree on.

8 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

They made sure the team would be competitive, which seems fair to me considering they paid $500 million just to join the league. It's not like they were gifted a murderer's row of talent. They essentially got to pick from a pool of 3rd line forwards, 2nd pairing defensemen, and backup goalies.

Even the Knights themselves were surprised at the success. William Karlsson had 18 career goals, then suddenly had a 40 goal season. McPhee even acknowledged that guys like Neal & Perron were picked because they were on expiring contracts and would make good trade deadline chips. They abandoned their 3 year plan and became a win-now team.

And who had heard of Alex Tuch or Jonathen Marchessault until the Knights miracle run? Not many, I'm sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.

3 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

And who had heard of Alex Tuch or Jonathen Marchessault until the Knights miracle run? Not many, I'm sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.

Well Tuch was a 1st round pick & Marchessault had 30 goals in his last season with Florida, but both of those guys were acquired in side deals. Minnesota didn't want to lose one of their top 4 defensemen so they were willing to give up Tuch & Haula instead. Florida was so desperate to get rid of Riley Smith's contract that they were willing to throw in Marchy as a sweetener.

In hindsight I'm sure both teams would have handled the expansion draft differently.

3 minutes ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

I'll give you Tuch, but Marchessault people should've known about if they were paying attention. Florida's leading goal scorer with 30 goals scored and 51 points in his first season in an expanded role. It was pretty clear even at the time that Florida had made a bad trade.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well Tuch was a 1st round pick & Marchessault had 30 goals in his last season with Florida, but both of those guys were acquired in side deals. Minnesota didn't want to lose one of their top 4 defensemen so they were willing to give up Tuch & Haula instead. Florida was so desperate to get rid of Riley Smith's contract that they were willing to throw in Marchy as a sweetener.

In hindsight I'm sure both teams would have handled the expansion draft differently.

2 minutes ago, MDGP said:

I'll give you Tuch, but Marchessault people should've known about if they were paying attention. Florida's leading goal scorer with 30 goals scored and 51 points in his first season in an expanded role. It was pretty clear even at the time that Florida had made a bad trade.

I stand corrected. Thank you, I honestly didn't know that, but then I only started following hockey when Vegas came in.

Archived