2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

18 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Maybe its just wishful thinking, but I feel like they aren't going to do a straight Throwback approach. I feel like something new is coming, obviously based off the Kachina jersey though. Maybe a red Kachina jersey? Using purple trim instead of green? the alternate Kachina head logo as the main? dare I say a sand colored jersey?

The Tuscon Roadrunners tried their own version of the Kachina with purple trim and a slightly different striping pattern. 

spacer.png

Tbh I've seen a lot of concepts that try to update the Kachina look (simplified striping, sticking with brick/sand/red, etc.), and not a single one has looked better than the actual jersey. I'm expecting Arizona will just bring back the white version of the throwback, and will keep the purple RR around as a full time alternate.

30 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

As much as i hope it's a white Kachina, it says unreleased, does that mean new design ?

"Unreleased" just means that it's a jersey that hasn't been officially released, not that's it's specifically a new design. A white Kachina on the AdiZero template would still count as "unreleased", since they've only released the dark version.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Tbh I've seen a lot of concepts that try to update the Kachina look (simplified striping, sticking with brick/sand/red, etc.), and not a single one has looked better than the actual jersey. I'm expecting Arizona will just bring back the white version of the throwback, and will keep the purple RR around as a full time alternate.

This is what I expect to happen; the design as it stands is super popular locally, so they'd probably play it safe in an already-uncertain economic time and just go for what fans want instead of experimenting too much.

I know ownership has been interested in trying to get an outdoor game, as well, so once vaccine rollouts are far enough along to make outdoor games with fans feasible, I think we might see them push for it again. And that would presumably mean another new jersey.

I asked on the Facebook group, but all the announcement says it is an unreleased jersey not that the Coyotes are getting a new jersey.  

So, it could easily be an unreleased concept that never made it to production (aka, a red Kachina or a different take on the reverse retro).

14 minutes ago, Puck said:

So, it could easily be an unreleased concept that never made it to production (aka, a red Kachina or a different take on the reverse retro).

Can't imagine that they would do that. Both the league and Adidas are incredibly tight lipped with concept jerseys.

3 hours ago, Puck said:

I asked on the Facebook group, but all the announcement says it is an unreleased jersey not that the Coyotes are getting a new jersey.  

Pretty sure the team wouldn't give away hundreds (or thousands) of prototype jerseys to people who buy half-season tickets. 

I think we have to assume unreleased jersey = new jersey in the rotation, or a new jersey that replaces a current one.  

TLDR...

Based on the success of the Reverse Retro jersey program what are the odds of a “Fast Forward” type program in the not too distance future?

6 minutes ago, charger77 said:

TLDR...

Based on the success of the Reverse Retro jersey program what are the odds of a “Fast Forward” type program in the not too distance future?

It’s been tried in the MLB and already in the NHL with the burger kings, and wild wing jerseys and were massive flops at the time. I don’t see them trying to repeat it. Nostalgia is much easier to sell than try and sell something radically different and new.

17 minutes ago, charger77 said:

TLDR...

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s been tried in the MLB and already in the NHL with the burger kings, and wild wing jerseys and were massive flops at the time. I don’t see them trying to repeat it. Nostalgia is much easier to sell than try and sell something radically different and new.

Aye, but look at what Nike is doing in the MLB now. Adidas went radical with the European WCoH in 2016 and it was recently received. I could see them trying such an idea with a couple of teams. Don't forget the Stadium Series jerseys are a little out there. Remember LAs chrome :censored:...

1 minute ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

Aye, but look at what Nike is doing in the MLB now. Adidas went radical with the European WCoH in 2016 and it was recently received. I could see them trying such an idea with a couple of teams. Don't forget the Stadium Series jerseys are a little out there. Remember LAs chrome :censored:...

But then you have the universally panned Stars Reverse Retro is the most futuristic of the bunch? And what do you mean Nike has done with the MLB, we saw only 1 uniform that is just a different style but is being destroyed right now online.

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

But then you have the universally panned Stars Reverse Retro is the most futuristic of the bunch? And what do you mean Nike has done with the MLB, we saw only 1 uniform that is just a different style but is being destroyed right now online.

I used the Red Sox as an example that clearly the companies are willing to push boundaries even in the midst of a huge nostalgia trip. If they are willing to :censored: with one of the more traditional teams there, what's stopping Adidas from trying it in the NHL? Yeah, Dallas, Winnipeg, and Detroit sucked, but that's 3 of 31. I don't think Adidas is beyond trying some more out there s#!+ with more lenient teams in hockey. I could see Vegas doing something really dumb with their jerseys. 

59 minutes ago, charger77 said:

TLDR...

18 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s called Stadium Series.

Either way, lets hope its done tastefully and not as...distasteful as the MLB's Turn ahead the Clocks. I wasn't even born then, and I want to forget it...

12 hours ago, Puck said:

Doesn't make sense to do that when they've pretty much gone 3/4ths of the way to a rebrand this season and revealing a white jersey to complete it and cap off the season celebrations makes perfect sense. And an white Kachina adidas is still "unreleased", because the black is the one that's been in the rotation.

Besides, it wouldn't make sense for the Coyotes to just randomly give some unused jerseys they've had lying around out to half-season ticket holders. Usually unused jerseys are either left in storage somewhere to be later found and sold online, destroyed or never actually made to begin with beyond the concept stage.

When you do jersey giveaways for STHers, you usually wanna do stuff that'll be worn on the ice instead of a jersey that never sees real ice time. And I have my doubts it's a new alternate because of the fact that the red jersey's effectively been pushed out of the rotation entirely now; they only wore it for a few games against Minnesota this season. If they do anything alternate-related, it's pushing the purple Peyote up to full-time alternate to fill the hole the black Kachina's promotion will leave.

13 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

I could see Vegas doing something really dumb with their jerseys. 

They've already gotten pretty out there with the chrome helmets & sparkly gold jerseys.

7 hours ago, charger77 said:

True, but it’s not a league wide program like the RRs. 

Because it doesn’t need to be. The reception of a league-wide, futuristic alternate program would not be as warm as it was for Reverse Retro. Two teams per year is enough.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Because it doesn’t need to be. The reception to a league-wide, futuristic alternate program would not be as warm as it was for Reverse Retro. Two teams per year is enough.

Plus, limiting it to two keeps the entire program feeling fresh for far longer because you don't have as many teams to design for, which keeps the shelf life of the idea pretty high.

It's extremely difficult to keep making 32 new designs every year, and that's evidenced by the downward slump of quality in many NBA City jerseys and the already-low bar MLB's offerings seem to have. Besides, we effectively saw what would happen if NHL teams got a league-wide TATC program in the mid-90's; and it wasn't a great idea.