2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Reminder that the NHL and it's teams have considered plenty of things that have not actually gone through, like when they considered changing over blue ice during the lockout;

spacer.png

Just because something is being considered by the NHL doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen. If anything, I'd kinda be surprised if they did it at all given that it's more likely then not we'll be seeing attendance figures far closer to normal as more and more people get vaccinated, eliminating the pressing financial issue that led to helmet ads to begin with.

Plus, the NBA shows a clear law of diminishing returns on uniform advertisements at the major league level anyways. Not saying it won't ever happen, but it seems like it's nowhere near as profitable for an NHL or NBA team to have multiple ads on the uniform as it is for a BCHL or WNBA team, or else we'd have seen more ads creep into NBA jerseys by now with how frivolous they are about uniform aesthetics.

Yeah, but ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Reminder that the NHL and it's teams have considered plenty of things that have not actually gone through, like when they considered changing over blue ice during the lockout;

spacer.png

Just because something is being considered by the NHL doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen. If anything, I'd kinda be surprised if they did it at all given that it's more likely then not we'll be seeing attendance figures far closer to normal as more and more people get vaccinated, eliminating the pressing financial issue that led to helmet ads to begin with.

Plus, the NBA shows a clear law of diminishing returns on uniform advertisements at the major league level anyways. Not saying it won't ever happen, but it seems like it's nowhere near as profitable for an NHL or NBA team to have multiple ads on the uniform as it is for a BCHL or WNBA team, or else we'd have seen more ads creep into NBA jerseys by now with how frivolous they are about uniform aesthetics.

You honestly believe the NHL will decline an additional revenue stream?

On 4/17/2021 at 5:52 PM, Ridleylash said:

Would you rather endless and useless complaining? We all know nothing we say in here's going to matter to the league any way you slice it.

Hey. Buddy. taps the sign 

This is a forum for discussing sports logos and uniforms. People are allowed to express their opinions here, and you have to find a way to be ok with that. 

@ManillaToad didn't say anything that wasn't true. There are people who will make the craziest mental leaps to justify this. 

As someone who shares his dislike for the concept? Yeah, I get the frustration.

If you feel differently, cool. Express your opinion. Don't belittle someone else for expressing theirs. 

14 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

That's incredibly wishful thinking. I hope you're right, but crossing the jersey ad threshold is not a matter of if. It's when and it makes sense that this time when teams who will still be hurting from Covid fallout would take that step. Once businesses find an extra revenue source they generally don't ignore it because they're cool with making the same amount of money they were making 3 years ago (and that's fully hypothetical. It'll take years to refill these buildings to capacity). 

They didn't do the blue ice thing because it looked dumb and it wasn't helpful in winning back fans - Read: it didn't make them extra money. They did, however, put more ads phsyically on the ice and chroma-keyed them onto the glass on TV broadcasts. I suspect that will continue long after fans return. 

I'd like to see the figures on this. I think the reason you don't see more ads on NBA jerseys is a real estate issue more than an issue with it not being a solid money maker. There's not a lot of space on a basketball uniform. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, Sport said:

There's not a lot of space on a basketball uniform. 

The WNBA and international basketball teams would generally disagree with this. 

WNBA Announces Plan To Tip Off 2020 Season in Bradenton – Florida Sports  Foundation

Europe economy killing basketball leagues

BHS grad Smith has grown into European basketball star | Sports |  bakersfield.com

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The WNBA and international basketball teams would generally disagree with this. 

WNBA Announces Plan To Tip Off 2020 Season in Bradenton – Florida Sports  Foundation

Europe economy killing basketball leagues

BHS grad Smith has grown into European basketball star | Sports |  bakersfield.com

This is true, but it is also a brand issue. You couldn’t tell me what a single one of those teams are other than the Connecticut Sun who if I didn’t know the team before hand I’d have no clue who it was.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

This is true, but it is also a brand issue. You couldn’t tell me what a single one of those teams are other than the Connecticut Sun who if I didn’t know the team before hand I’d have no clue who it was.

Even if we protect the brand on the front (or on the back, under the name) of the jersey, there's still a lot of space on the upper shoulders for patches and ads.

Early college basketball rankings: Michigan State leads Andy Katz's Power  36 for 2019-2020 | NCAA.com

43 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Even if we protect the brand on the front (or on the back, under the name) of the jersey, there's still a lot of space on the upper shoulders for patches and ads.

Early college basketball rankings: Michigan State leads Andy Katz's Power  36 for 2019-2020 | NCAA.com

If anything this shows it wouldn’t work. You can’t read the NCAA logo, I have no idea what’s underneath it, and the B1G is barely readable. The only one I don’t need to squint to try to figure out what they are is the simple Nike swoosh, and American flag because it’s so recognizable.

34 minutes ago, dont care said:

If anything this shows it wouldn’t work. You can’t read the NCAA logo, I have no idea what’s underneath it, and the B1G is barely readable. The only one I don’t need to squint to try to figure out what they are is the simple Nike swoosh, and American flag because it’s so recognizable.

Those patches are readable on TV. 

"I can't read the patch in that one photo on the internet" isn't really a strong case.

NBA All Star Game Predictions: Picks and Snubs - The New York Times

25 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Those patches are readable on TV. 

"I can't read the patch in that one photo on the internet" isn't really a strong case.

NBA All Star Game Predictions: Picks and Snubs - The New York Times

That’s not a good argument because if anything it should be even easier to see in a still photograph. On TV in anything other than a head shot they would be illegible. 

1 minute ago, dont care said:

That’s not a good argument because if anything it should be even easier to see in a still photograph. On TV in anything other than a head shot they would be illegible. 

TV has a lot of close up head shots though. Whistles, free throws, timeouts, et al. 

The regular sideline broadcast cam doesn’t really make NBA ads legible. 

The point was you can’t judge legibility on one photo. The original point was that it’s possible to have multiple ads on the shoulders.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:38 PM, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

That picture is messing with my mind, between the blue ice, the camera angle, and a logo that looks kind of like the old Sabres logo I’m having a hard time realizing that that’s not a video game. 

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

That picture is messing with my mind, between the blue ice, the camera angle, and a logo that looks kind of like the old Sabres logo I’m having a hard time realizing that that’s not a video game. 

Do you mean this Sabres logo? Because that's what that is.

28.png

the user formerly known as cdclt

19 hours ago, dont care said:

It's more of a cultural clash. European fans are used to their players being walking billboards for every corporation that can cram their logo in, so it's not a brand issue for them. Couple that with the constant yearly design changes that make Nike look tame, and branding in European sports is just very different than it is here.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

22 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This photo is not a good example if you are a fan of European Basketball because both teams got their names on a jerseys and this is a game between Anwil Włocławek and Belfius Mons-Hainaut, so sponsors are in teams name.

20 hours ago, dont care said:

Don't you know Lithuania and France (2nd photo)?

4r2eer.png

3 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

This photo is not a good example if you are a fan of European Basketball because both teams got their names on a jerseys and this is a game between Anwil Włocławek and Belfius Mons-Hainaut. Both companies are main sponsors.

But there are other ads on the shorts and shoulders. 

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

But there are other ads on the shorts and shoulders. 

True but Anwil on shorts has Anwil, league logo (Energa Basket Liga) and Kappa. On shoulders Kappa, EBL and team logo. More non team name related ads are on back of the uniforms.

Belfius on shorts has Wallonie logo (region of Belgium where team came from) and Olympic (uni supplier). Same like Anwil more ads are on back.

4r2eer.png

Blue ice was an even better idea than legalizing the two-line pass. I don't know why they made the red line blue and the blue lines yellow-orange. They clearly had red paint.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, dont care said:

Yeah advertisers would never buy space for logos you can only discern from up close

ISV_NASCARNEXT_Alumni.png

Archived