2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

The navy shorts for Columbus are similar to the blue shorts for the Avalanche, black socks for the Bruins, and white numbers for the Blues. Does it look better? I guess. But it doesn't look right.

I'd argue the red shorts looked worse on the white jersey, anyways; when most of the color on it was navy blue or white, the stark red breezers stuck out like a sore thumb. Same with the Avs and black, considering that the jerseys don't even really have it as part of the base design.

It looks better and looks right, to me. The red breezers on the white always seemed like an oversight more than anything.

2 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

The navy shorts for Columbus are similar to the blue shorts for the Avalanche, black socks for the Bruins, and white numbers for the Blues. Does it look better? I guess. But it doesn't look right.

The Bruins in black socks and the Blues with white numbers neither look better nor look right.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

10 hours ago, NYRFan said:

The amount of exposure the Oilers are giving these navy alt. sweaters in Battle of Alberta games scares me...

1. That they think it's their best sweater?

2. That they're going to make this their main home sweater in the years to come...?

3. They feel going orange vs. red and yellow wouldn't look good?

Oilers need to go back to the drawing board, for my money. Maybe make a set based on the RR...

Yes orange vs red and yellow would have been an awful matchup

Blue Jackets, Blue Pants: Columbus Tries New Colour Combo in Carolina

May 2, 2021 - 13:28 PM

Columbus Blue Jackets? After last night’s game at Carolina, perhaps Columbus Blue Pants would be more appropriate (sorry). In a last-minute decision while wearing their road white sweaters, the Blue Jackets put aside their traditional red breezers in favour of their blue Reverse Retro pants. It was the first time

Read More...

As much as I like that look with the blue pants and dislike having different equipment colours, I think the red pants would still be needed for the blue jerseys.

With the lack of hem striping and the arm/sock striping essentially being blue on blue, I think it would it be a lot of blue and end up being the NHL's version of the Saints leotard look.

IEI5Tg1.png

13 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Ducks wore their orange thirds three games in a row, giving me false hope once again.

The Kings also wore their Heritage jerseys in those same three games. Nice to see a good uniform matchup from both teams for a change.

1232639244_slide.jpg

If both teams switched to these as their primaries, I would be so happy.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Now, take the double outlines on the sleeves and socks and turn them into thick red outlines to closer match the pants and I think you've got a winner.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:20 PM, M4One said:

spacer.png

Ha! I called it earlier in this thread. I always thought teams should alternate equipment colors once in a while, kinda like in the NFL (Nashville with navy helmets, Dallas with Victory Green gear hopefully, St Louis in royal blue gear maybe, for example). They look very good, with the white jerseys at least. I like the red pants better though, I think there are too many teams with navy blue pants already

On 5/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, NYRFan said:

The amount of exposure the Oilers are giving these navy alt. sweaters in Battle of Alberta games scares me...

1. That they think it's their best sweater?

2. That they're going to make this their main home sweater in the years to come...?

3. They feel going orange vs. red and yellow wouldn't look good?

Oilers need to go back to the drawing board, for my money. Maybe make a set based on the RR...

Hot take incoming: Their 3rd jersey is the best they've ever looked (or maybe close second to the McFarlane 3rds). I usually hate trendy "stealth" jersey but this one just works imo. I wouldn't be mad if they made a white version and kept the Gretzky era as a 3rd jersey for the people out there who are blinded by nostalgia and like corny, loud and outdated 70s designs lol

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hot take incoming: Their 3rd jersey is the best they've ever looked (or maybe close second to the McFarlane 3rds). I usually hate trendy "stealth" jersey but this one just works imo. I wouldn't be mad if they made a white version and kept the Gretzky era as a 3rd jersey for the people out there who are blinded by nostalgia and like corny, loud and outdated 70s designs lol

You do realize that the current alternate is just a corny, loud, and will-be-soon outdated 20’s design right? The whole “stealth mode” no white on the jersey thing? 

The navy and all orange thing does work on some level, but the thin stripes on the sleeves, with nothing on the hem makes it feel like it’s lacking something. It would be a fun alt if it had thicker, bolder, striping. As it is, it’s just aesthetically a mess. But that’s another thing. It should be an alternate, because it’s just a little too tacky. The current home and road set make the Oilers at least look like a hockey team. 

The last thing, is that the Gretzky-era jerseys aren’t just 70’s designs, they’re quintessential hockey jerseys. Striping on the sleeves, hem, socks, breezers, (all which are full colors and blocked, rather than anything crazy, like a gradient or an oil splatter pattern.) and a shoulder yoke. That’s just what a good hockey jersey looks like.

If you wanna look at a 70’s hockey jersey trend, look at the Ballard Leafs. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

What jersey did the greatest Oilers teams ever to take the ice wear, again? Certainly not the neon orange stuff they're wearing now, that's for sure. 😜

It's a nice-looking jersey connected with a bunch of the greatest players in franchise history and the reign of the greatest player to skate in the NHL. If anything, the Oilers should be emulating the Islanders and not veering away from the look that will forever define the franchise. The royal blue and orange looks good together, the navy looks like black next to the orange.

Besides, eye-searing orange is louder and more obnoxious than royal blue. This looks sharp;

spacer.png

The orange being a secondary color makes it have more impact. The Oilers aren't the Flyers, their brand isn't "rough and rowdy, loud and proud". Hell, for the last while their brand was "REMEMBER THE EIGHTIES, GUYS?!"; and that honestly worked better for them than trying to revive the 2000's trend of making blues super dark for no goddamned reason.

Some teams shouldn't trend-chase. Again, see the Islanders; they chased trends and that led to a design so reviled it lasted like...three or four years before they quickly went back to a much more familiar one that resembled the jerseys that the dynasty Isles wore and swept the disasterpiece they had created under the rug forever.

McDavid wearing the same jersey style as Gretzky gives a design gravitas. It establishes "this is what we are, this is our look." Does Detroit need to remake their jerseys to make them more "hip"? No, because they have jerseys that have been worn by guys like Yzerman, Fedorov, Gordie Howe, Chelios, Sawchuk. Wearing that sweater is to don the same jersey as some of the greatest players to play the game.

The Habs don't change for that same reason; their look has gravitas. It's been worn by legends like the Richards, Patrick Roy, Guy Lafleur, Ken Dryden, Bernie Geoffrion and Jacques Plante. It's the look that has the most Cups in NHL history. It shouldn't change to meet some stupid trends that will change in due time like all trends do.

The royal blue Oilers jersey was worn by legends like Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr and Paul Coffey. Why shouldn't the Oilers want to have McDavid and the boys bear the jersey that carries that legacy with it, the legacy of a team that was utterly dominant and won four straight Cups? Chasing the CR trend full-time leaves you looking awfully silly when trends veer back towards a different aesthetic.

Maybe it's for the Oilers' best interests to build themselves into a Isles, Habs or Red Wings-styled "we don't change from our most iconic look because why should we" and not bother chasing trends because they have a look that defines their franchise forever.

columbus-blue-jackets-blue-pants-red-pan

I've wanted the Blue Jackets to wear blue pants on the road for forever and when I saw the reverse retros were going to use blue pants I thought it might be possible. 

Three things:

1. I think they look as good, if not better, than I always pictured.

2. It's going to take some getting used to because the red pants have been with us since day one, but I can't argue the red pants look better.

3. I wouldn't mind if this was their permanent road look. I think the blue pants with the blue jerseys and socks would be too much blue and too little red and they wouldn't look like the Blue Jackets so I'd rather stick with the red pants at home and use home and road pants like the Hockey Rockies used to. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, monkeypower said:

As much as I like that look with the blue pants and dislike having different equipment colours, I think the red pants would still be needed for the blue jerseys.

With the lack of hem striping and the arm/sock striping essentially being blue on blue, I think it would it be a lot of blue and end up being the NHL's version of the Saints leotard look.

I just saw this. They do have hem stripes on the blue jerseys. Am I misunderstanding? 

cbj-mock.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived