2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Since some of us think the Carolina Hurricanes playing dress up as the Hartford Whalers is silly, So what’s worse then...an LA Dodgers team repping Brooklyn (same team, different city) or a Seattle Mariners team repping the pilots (same city, not same team). I think the Seattle example is the bigger offense cause the mariners were never the pilots.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t mind the Brewers or Orioles or other teams turning back the clock to defunct teams from their own cities. Especially those of the same name. 

I think it’s far preferable for a team to represent its own city’s history.  And in the case of the Pilots, the Brewers don’t recognize that history, so why shouldn’t the Mariners celebrate it? 

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t mind the Brewers or Orioles or other teams turning back the clock to defunct teams from their own cities. Especially those of the same name. 

I think it’s far preferable for a team to represent its own city’s history.  And in the case of the Pilots, the Brewers don’t recognize that history, so why shouldn’t the Mariners celebrate it? 

Aren’t the brewers the pilots? That to me is the franchise and their past, not the mariners. Unless it’s like a browns-ravens deal. I know, I’m weird.

KISSwall09.jpg

They are, but the Pilots were a disaster that only lasted a year, rushed into the league ahead of schedule because Stu Symington (D-MO) wanted the Royals in Kansas City for the '69 season or else he was going to have Congress make life very unpleasant for Major League Baseball. I can see why neither team would really want to acknowledge that first year of franchise history, but there are throwback hats to be sold.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't disagree with this, but Hartford isn't getting an NHL team anytime soon. I guess you could say the Connecticut Whale was kind of a spiritual homage, but... as a fan with no emotional attachment to it, I enjoyed seeing the old Whalers look for a game or two. I don't think it should be a full-time alternate, though.

17 hours ago, hormone said:

Aren’t the brewers the pilots? That to me is the franchise and their past, not the mariners. Unless it’s like a browns-ravens deal. I know, I’m weird.

That’s always the crux of this argument; does it make sense for a team to throw back to its history in another city when its new city has no attachment to that? Personally, I don’t think so. Does it make sense for a team to throw back to a different team that played in its own city? It’s not necessary, but to me, it makes more sense so long as the original team has abandoned the name or ceased to exist entirely.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

They are, but the Pilots were a disaster that only lasted a year, rushed into the league ahead of schedule because Stu Symington (D-MO) wanted the Royals in Kansas City for the '69 season or else he was going to have Congress make life very unpleasant for Major League Baseball. I can see why neither team would really want to acknowledge that first year of franchise history, but there are throwback hats to be sold.

In all honesty, the AL brass should’ve taken a few closer looks at Sicks Stadium. Once they realized that it would be a terrible venue even after renovations, the expansion should have gone straight to Milwaukee. In Milwaukee, you had a major league stadium and stable ownership ready to go!

Of course, the blue/yellow Brewers probably wouldn’t have happened if they weren’t recycling the Pilots’ uniforms...

Of course, the blue/yellow Brewers probably wouldn’t have happened if they weren’t recycling the Pilots’ uniforms...

Would have been navy and red, with pinstripes. The color scheme was the only good thing to come out of the Pilots debacle. 

The 1969 Brewers would almost certainly have used the old Milwaukee Braves caps, which had themselves been borrowed from the original Brewers.  Time is a flat circle. 

I'm not really a fan of it, honestly, both as a Canadian and as a hockey fan. Like, at least with Whalers Night, there's no chance of Hartford coming back into the league any time soon; it's a small market crammed between two of the largest markets in the league, and the state of Connecticut's economy is in the dumps. It'd take a miracle and a massive economic shift in the positive for the state for the NHL to even consider expanding to Hartford again.

With the Nordiques, you'd not only be wearing the skin of a team from a city that has a very real chance of coming back into the NHL fold, you'd also be risking pissing off a fanbase who's been dying to see their team come back so they can put more money in your league's coffers. The ONLY way I think that this idea could end without controversy for every party is if it's used to play a series of games in Québec, playing in the Vidéotron Center and make it like an exhibition game or maybe a Serie du Nordiques.

If you wear the jerseys in Denver, you're going to piss off at least some of the Québecers. It seems like a lose-lose situation, honestly; from what I've seen, even Avs fans are really split down the middle on it. I'd say throwing back to the Rockies is a far better idea, since that doesn't come with the same baggage, and it's not like the Devils are all that interested in the Rockies' branding and history.

19 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The ONLY way I think that this idea could end without controversy for every party is if it's used to play a series of games in Québec, playing in the Vidéotron Center and make it like an exhibition game or maybe a Serie du Nordiques.

Even that's a bit fraught after the way the league handled the market in the last decade. Back when the Thrashers and Coyotes had their dueling organizational collapses, part of the reason the league worked so hard to keep the Coyotes in place was because if the Coyotes went back up, which they could more or less deal with, then the new battle would have been about keeping the Thrashers out of Quebec City and the beyond-shoddy Colisee, which would have been a task and a half considering the Thrashers were through the door or out the window by summer of '11 and no one anywhere else seemed to want them, hence the league being more or less fine with them winding up in Winnipeg.

So the line was to get a new arena built or else never even be in consideration, which they did with some pretty controversial and graft-laden public funding. Quebecor applied for an expansion process that was designed to exclude them and only got that far because a dog ate Jerry Bruckheimer's homework. Then they suffered the international public ignominy of Quebec City being rejected for the 32nd slot in the league in favor of Nobody Anywhere. Then Bettman admitted they were never going to let Quebec City into the league because it would inconvenience Ohioans, and then it got out that Jeremy Jacobs didn't want a small francophone market in the league at all. Now Quebec City has the biggest, nicest arena in a major-junior circuit now held in less regard than the Americans Too Dumb To Be Allowed To Pretend To Go College League or whichever one it is that the Chicago Steel are in. And it's not that the Colisee didn't need replacing, it absolutely did, but if the league was going to be as adamant about staying out of its replacement as they were with it itself, then Quebecor could have built an arena at half the size and kept public money out of it.

Not being on the ground up there, I don't know exactly how ill the feelings are toward le LNH and their bleu-balling tactics, but I'd say they should be pretty ill. And another fakeout, where the Avs are allowed to come to town in September and play Nordiques Dress-Up for a night and then leave, would just remind everyone that they'll never truly be accepted and will get the bare minimum of attention to keep extracting money out of them. At this point it might be an everything-or-nothing scenario.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Basically, this:

EdhgbiS.png

Not bad, but nowhere near as good as royal/yellow-gold. The cap was a total judgement call on my part, from the news wire photo.

MilwJournal_NewBrewerUniforms_1apr1970.j

I wouldn’t mind the Brewers doing throwbacks to the prototypes. Heck, prototype throwbacks would be pretty cool, IMO.

I actually pitched that to them a couple years ago.  Didn’t bite, but I’ll keep trying. I’ve had success in the past. 😉

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s always the crux of this argument; does it make sense for a team to throw back to its history in another city when its new city has no attachment to that? Personally, I don’t think so. Does it make sense for a team to throw back to a different team that played in its own city? It’s not necessary, but to me, it makes more sense so long as the original team has abandoned the name or ceased to exist entirely.

See, I disagree. I think the Braves wearing Milwaukee Braves throwbacks when they visit the Brewers would be cool. 

Likewise I think the Brewers should throwback to the Pilots when they visit the Mariners. 

31 minutes ago, IceCap said:

See, I disagree. I think the Braves wearing Milwaukee Braves throwbacks when they visit the Brewers would be cool. 

Likewise I think the Brewers should throwback to the Pilots when they visit the Mariners. 

There's cases where that works, but obviously that also doesn't have the problem of the originating location already having a replacement team. It's a little different of a scenario between Milwaukee and Atlanta and Colorado and Québec, obviously, which is where the issue lies. It'd be a little gauche for the Avs to slap on Nordiques sweaters when visiting Montréal when the city's desperately hoping that they'll get a team back in some way or another.

That probably just means discretion is at play here. It's not really like a Whalers Night because, being realistic, there's about a 0.1% chance Hartford would be on the NHL radar. It's certainly controversial, but it's not playing dress up as a team that another market loved when that market is trying their damnedest to get a team back and has an arena basically waiting for an NHL tenant.

It's a bit different of a thing to pull a Whalers Night and wear the full jerseys, use the classic goal song, change all your game graphics for a select few games, to even bring Pucky back for the night, as opposed to just slapping on a new set of equipment and going out there as normal. The only real missing thing is just...not playing in Hartford, and that doesn't really work without neutral-site games being a thing.

As controversial as it was on reveal, Dundon and the higher-ups of the Hurricanes organization clearly don't seem to view it as just throwing on a jersey for a night for cheap bucks (though, like all business decisions, financials obviously play a part); they view it as embracing that team and it's legacy, celebrating it in a way Karmanos never did. I think that makes it a lot less gauche then just slapping on jerseys and going.

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Basically, this:

EdhgbiS.png

Not bad, but nowhere near as good as royal/yellow-gold. The cap was a total judgement call on my part, from the news wire photo.

It's hard to see that and not think this (but a good look is a good look):

1993 Upper Deck Minnesota Twins Baseball Cards Team Set

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, Ridleylash said:

I'm not really a fan of it, honestly, both as a Canadian and as a hockey fan. Like, at least with Whalers Night, there's no chance of Hartford coming back into the league any time soon; it's a small market crammed between two of the largest markets in the league, and the state of Connecticut's economy is in the dumps. It'd take a miracle and a massive economic shift in the positive for the state for the NHL to even consider expanding to Hartford again.

With the Nordiques, you'd not only be wearing the skin of a team from a city that has a very real chance of coming back into the NHL fold, you'd also be risking pissing off a fanbase who's been dying to see their team come back so they can put more money in your league's coffers. The ONLY way I think that this idea could end without controversy for every party is if it's used to play a series of games in Québec, playing in the Vidéotron Center and make it like an exhibition game or maybe a Serie du Nordiques.

If you wear the jerseys in Denver, you're going to piss off at least some of the Québecers. It seems like a lose-lose situation, honestly; from what I've seen, even Avs fans are really split down the middle on it. I'd say throwing back to the Rockies is a far better idea, since that doesn't come with the same baggage, and it's not like the Devils are all that interested in the Rockies' branding and history.

Will it piss off Nordiques fans?  Sure.  But, if Quebec ever gets a team back, and right now, that's a pretty big if, I'm sure Quebec fans wouldn't care that a few years ago, the Avs wore Nordiques throwbacks.  If they don't ever get a team again, then what does it matter?  The NHL isn't necessarily missing out on any money.  Either Nordiques fans have stopped watching the NHL altogether or have converted over to being Canadiens (or another team) fans.  

What was the reaction to when the Nationals wore Expos jerseys?

Archived