2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

5 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well the Wild should be celebrating their 20th anniversary next year. As it’s the 2020-21 season. They did wear the patches for the 10th in 2010-11 so it would make sense for them next year.

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

Columbus as well.

The Avalanche could have a special 25th anniversary patch for next season as well.

You are both right. When I looked the graphic up again, I saw an earlier version. He has a newer version that he updated just this past August with more anniversaries, so I looked at the wrong version.

2020-21 has the Sharks 30th, the Avs 25th, the Blue Jackets 20th, the Wild's 20th and the Jets 10th.

Here's the graphic.

Spoiler

ECXXfVgU8AA-Xn0.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

You are both right. When I looked the graphic up again, I saw an earlier version. He has a newer version that he updated just this past August with more anniversaries, so I looked at the wrong version.

2020-21 has the Sharks 30th, the Avs 25th, the Blue Jackets 20th, the Wild's 20th and the Jets 10th.

Here's the graphic.

Hide contents

ECXXfVgU8AA-Xn0.jpg

It'd be better if San Jose waits until 2021-22 for the official 30th anniversary, and with the Jets in the same season for their 10th anniversary.  Plus we have Seattle coming in during that season as well.

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That title!!! 😄😄😄

Redo the logo, keep those colors and I'd watch. They would use more orange than the Sharks do.

No they are fine the way they are now. No experimenting with teal and silver and wonkiness that isn’t needed, even the navy isn’t better than the royal they use now

On 12/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, kw11333 said:

The Coyotes keep using their Kachina jerseys for press conferences and a lot of promotional materials. Before Hall or Phil even had their press conferences, the Yotes marketing staff released photoshopped pics of them wearing the jerseys. Owner said he loves them. 

cut.jpg

cropped_KesselKachina.jpg?ts=1567566478

A full-time return of the Kachina would be a truly welcome change!

However, they'll need to update that 90s uniform. I find it quite outdated. A modernized version of the retros would be the better choice. I like the desert Coyote, but I also like the Picasso one as well. There's a few parts from each look that I'd keep. I'd make a mix of new and throwback, in a way that blends organically together.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:37 AM, monkeypower said:

IIRC, some tweets from a Flames marketing(?) person before last year’s playoffs once they announced they were wearing the retros for those playoffs implied a potential change.

Then with the white Winter Classic versions being worn in games since then combined with the trend of teams turning outdoor jerseys into full-time jerseys, leads to the thinking the Flames could be going full retro.

Dont be going assuming things when nothing been said. 

hvmY186.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Why are so angry about this?

Probably because they're still wearing one of the worst jersey designs to come out of the RBK era.

He's not wrong though.  I remember seeing a tweet, from someone associated with the Flames, saying there were no future plans to use the retro's full-time and this was right after announcing that they be worn at home during the 2019 playoffs.  It seems like management wants to have its cake and eat it too.  They continue to promote the retros prominently while refusing to let the flag-set die. 

On 12/23/2019 at 8:40 AM, Bmac said:

Regarding the Islanders 90's branding fiasco, I highly recommend reading this book if you haven't already:

81FeU2BJU2L.jpg

source.gif

On 12/26/2019 at 1:57 AM, habsfan1 said:

A full-time return of the Kachina would be a truly welcome change!

However, they'll need to update that 90s uniform. I find it quite outdated. A modernized version of the retros would be the better choice. I like the desert Coyote, but I also like the Picasso one as well. There's a few parts from each look that I'd keep. I'd make a mix of new and throwback, in a way that blends organically together.

I think Tuscon Roadrunners nailed it very well. I wouldn't mind something similar for Coyotes:

shvb82ju71r31.jpg

4r2eer.png

10 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Dont be going assuming things when nothing been said. 

On 3/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Some tweets with interesting info from the Flames director of marketing:

This is what was said.

Seems as if they're at least considering it for the future.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, pepis21 said:

source.gif

I think Tuscon Roadrunners nailed it very well. I wouldn't mind something similar for Coyotes:

shvb82ju71r31.jpg

I’m not sure that would go over well for Coyotes fans. The pattern on the stripe is a clean alternative, but everything else just seems like Tucson trying to make it their own. This is good for Tucson, but the Coyotes don’t want to look like a knockoff of something that is their own. I personally also don’t understand the heavy use of purple (that was nonexistent in the original) and the green being completely cut out. Probably would be more acceptable to replace the purple with the appropriate brick color and switch out the brick in the pattern with green. This is only if the goal is a modern update of the original, of course. 

6 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Safe to assume that anything not released to date (VGK, NYR, FLA, etc.) has been scrapped altogether or delayed a year?

I think the Rangers one was delayed.

Vegas is still planned but I am wondering if they do what Tampa Bay did last season and wait until mid to late January.  

6 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Safe to assume that anything not released to date (VGK, NYR, FLA, etc.) has been scrapped altogether or delayed a year?

Some teams' alternates come out fairly late in the year. LA's retro alt isn't even going to be taking the ice or up for sale until February of 2020, despite having been revealed in August. Hell, Boston's alt wasn't officially revealed until the season was underway back in November.

The NYR alt (which, given the demand from the fanbase, was very likely going to be the Lady Liberty jersey) seems to have been scrapped for this season; it's not surprising that a team as rigid with their brand as the Rangers is unwilling to just throw an alternate out if they're not absolutely satisfied with it. And the Rangers don't exactly have many other choices for an alternate if they don't want to do something new, which I'd be shocked for them to do (like trotting out the universally-reviled 80's shield jersey again). I expect them to try it again next season.

VGK...I'd feel like, given what management has said, their third is pretty likely to be gold with red and steel gray as secondary colors; though we'll see if it makes it through TV testing this season or not. 

MIN's planned alternate failed TV tests, so I doubt that comes this year; it probably ends up being tried again next year.

DET seems to have gotten cold feet, as well; they've delayed their third as well (unsurprisingly for a team as diligent about their brand as the Wings, it was likely to ensure they had it absolutely finalized before showing it).

I think FLA will probably end up revealing their alternates fairly late, but they seem the most likely to have kept on track with their alternate this season. I expect them to do a mainly-blue jersey using the modernized leaping panther, myself, potentially testing the waters to see how fans receive the leaping panther as a primary logo again.

On 12/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, O.C.D said:

Love these a lot. So much character. It ties into the local culture, pays respect to the indigenous heritage of the area and it's a completely unique color palate and identity. This should be what they base their entire identity off of. Such a strong brand direction

Without getting into the banned discussion, how does this “pay respect” to the local indigenous heritage while other logos and images are classified as racist and need to be avoided altogether?

21 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

Without getting into the banned discussion, how does this “pay respect” to the local indigenous heritage while other attempts are classified as racist?  

A lot of it has to do with tribal approval; the team ensured that the Hopi tribe approved of the design before they unveiled the logo and jerseys. It spoke beautifully to the Southwest and that's exactly the reason this team under Meruelo pushes the Kachinas so much; they have become the most iconic jerseys for this franchise, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm legitimately convinced that the Coyotes will rebrand into the Kachinas again at some point soon.

And it really doesn't hurt that the jerseys by themselves just look simply gorgeous on modern cameras;

spacer.png

spacer.png

If they do go back to the Kachinas, I'd like to see them change that green to more of a turquoise. I know the green has historical precedence, but I feel the turquoise would fit in to the southwest/native theme and provide a little more contrast/pop with the red. The green and red are both on the darker/dull side, kinda all blends together IMO.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

2 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Some teams' alternates come out fairly late in the year. LA's retro alt isn't even going to be taking the ice or up for sale until February of 2020, despite having been revealed in August. Hell, Boston's alt wasn't officially revealed until the season was underway back in November.

The NYR alt (which, given the demand from the fanbase, was very likely going to be the Lady Liberty jersey) seems to have been scrapped for this season; it's not surprising that a team as rigid with their brand as the Rangers is unwilling to just throw an alternate out if they're not absolutely satisfied with it. And the Rangers don't exactly have many other choices for an alternate if they don't want to do something new, which I'd be shocked for them to do (like trotting out the universally-reviled 80's shield jersey again). I expect them to try it again next season.

VGK...I'd feel like, given what management has said, their third is pretty likely to be gold with red and steel gray as secondary colors; though we'll see if it makes it through TV testing this season or not. 

MIN's planned alternate failed TV tests, so I doubt that comes this year; it probably ends up being tried again next year.

DET seems to have gotten cold feet, as well; they've delayed their third as well (unsurprisingly for a team as diligent about their brand as the Wings, it was likely to ensure they had it absolutely finalized before showing it).

I think FLA will probably end up revealing their alternates fairly late, but they seem the most likely to have kept on track with their alternate this season. I expect them to do a mainly-blue jersey using the modernized leaping panther, myself, potentially testing the waters to see how fans receive the leaping panther as a primary logo again.

Nashville also had a navy blue alternate planned but I think that also failed TV tests as well as whatever Detroit had.  

It's funny how before the season started there were about 25 teams that had some sort of a third jersey planned and now it is around 20.  I don't think Detroit or the Rangers need a third jersey, but that is my opinion

Archived