squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

Greater St. Louis straddles two states, and hockey fandom seems to taper off pretty fast once you go west into rural Missouri. I see no reason for state-related imagery, only city.

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Greater St. Louis straddles two states, and hockey fandom seems to taper off pretty fast once you go west into rural Missouri. I see no reason for state-related imagery, only city.

Not to mention that sports affiliations also shift more easily once you cross the Mississippi. I live on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro, and while most people out here are Cardinals and Blues fans, there's a surprising number of Cubs fans in my community. I'm 20 minutes outside of downtown St. Louis. 

The one that gets me is the Cardinals/Bears downstate combo. Sometimes they call the Score to talk Bears and sound like they're calling from Mayberry. It's as disconcerting as a Bostonian doing phone sex.

21 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Did not make them, but what these where a thing.

Sharks mock jersey teal

Old Logo, New Jersey, Who Dis? - Teal Town USA

Do Want Give It To Me GIF

Enough strokes in that logo? I count 7

I do like the 90s refresh on the Adidas template concept, but that crest seems a little too big. Cut that down a little and it's set

22 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Pretty sure @Puckguy14 made those. 

Yep, that would be my stuff.  I love this look.  Not sure what they're planning.  But on my Sharks related site and podcast (sorry for the shameless plug), we've speculated Team Teal might be bringing back the original logo for more merchandise sales, but heard some low rumblings they're getting TWO new jerseys but only one of them would be an Adizero version of the original style.  The Sharks' Stealth (third) jersey taking a year off, similar to the Ducks with their orange third jerseys to commemorate an anniversary season.  Ironically, prior to the NHL pause, the Sharks store at the Shark Tank was discounting only third jerseys at 40% off, something similar they did when they transitioned from the RBK Edge style -> the 2013 "Next Wave" and from Reebok -> Adidas.  

http://tealtownusa.com/2020/01/old-logo-new-jersey-who-dis/

Honestly, the home and away need to be fixed.  

I'd be happy if we never saw the stealth jerseys again.  They look terrible on the ice, even in HD.

3 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I'd be happy if we never saw the stealth jerseys again.  They look terrible on the ice, even in HD.

Agreed. Everytime I hear people praising them for how good they are I just cringe. They're so bland to me. Sure, in person they might be kinda cool, but as a hockey jersey, on ice and on TV, they look like black blobs. So uninteresting. It's an attempt to be edgy and look cool, but in doing so it makes them look lame. To me at least.

And before anyone jumps in and asks why Tampa Bay get away with it - no they don't. Same thing. Although it doesn't bother me quite as much, because San Jose have always had jerseys that annoy me since they switched to the new logo in 2007. They've never looked convincing to me. Always trying to be trendy but always coming off as trying too hard to look modern.

The Sharks need a Toronto Blue Jays-esque refresh. Not the original logo/uniforms, but a simpler, modified version of them. What they have now with that drab teal, forced orange, over-cartoony logo, and stale number font, is leaving a lot to be desired

14 hours ago, Bayne said:

It's such a bad logo.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's such a bad logo.

I think it’s comparable to the Panthers’ logo and that botched update.

346.giff1wggq2k8ql88fe33jzhw641u.gif
With the Sharks and Panthers, the original design has way too many jetliners and some minor structural issues (e.g., right whiskers, lack of detailing on the forehead, etc.). The update tries to fix some issues, only to screw up in more significant ways (e.g., art style, incorporation of secondary colors, and these issues mentioned in the graphic).

nWTzMvz.png
Davidson did that graphic, IIRC. I’d like to see a similar one for the Sharks’ current crest. 

14 hours ago, Bayne said:

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's such a bad logo.

I'm not really trying to defend the logo, because it's not great, but the logos used in that concept have too many strokes compared to what was actually used. The actual logo has two less strokes because it doesn't continue the strokes of the triangle around the shark and the stick, while the logos in the concept do.

So who ever created the concept either added all those extra strokes or took a concept logo that had already added the strokes.

8732_san_jose_sharks-jersey-1999.png

20120608_9198jersey.jpg

Yeah the actual jerseys were a lot less cluttered than the concepts above:

The 5 Most Painful Seasons in San Jose Sharks History | Bleacher ...

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I'm not really trying to defend the logo, because it's not great, but the logos used in that concept have too many strokes compared to what was actually used. The actual logo has two less strokes because it doesn't continue the strokes of the triangle around the shark and the stick, while the logos in the concept do.

So who ever created the concept either added all those extra strokes or took a concept logo that had already added the strokes.

8732_san_jose_sharks-jersey-1999.png

Even in this form, that triangle is still hideous.  Five different outlines is ludicrously overboard.

Even setting aside the fact that the designer had obviously never seen a hockey stick before, the execution of this idea is just bad.  Put it all together, and it's shockingly amateurish.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

M3PCaGz.png

Better, but still far from good.

Really kills me that when the designer was given the chance to fix his two glaring errors of ignorance, he caught one but not the other.  Shows that in the intervening years he'd at least seen a hockey stick, which I guess is a step forward, but he still obviously never held one in his hands.

6379_san_jose_sharks-primary-20081.png

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

346.giff1wggq2k8ql88fe33jzhw641u.gif

nWTzMvz.png

With apologies for the "cat-jacking" (CCSLC slang, or obscure veterinary procedure?), the Carolina Panthers should just adopt a logo based upon that of either the USFL Michigan Panthers or the  proposed A11FL reboot of said franchise. Swap out Royal Plum, Champagne Silver and Light Blue for Black, Silver and Panther Blue, then call it a day. 

jlM1m28m.jpg  SMrEU4pm.png?1   

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

With apologies for the "cat-jacking" (CCSLC slang, or obscure veterinary procedure?), the Carolina Panthers should just adopt a logo based upon that of either the USFL Michigan Panthers or the  proposed A11FL reboot of said franchise. Swap out Royal Plum, Champagne Silver and Light Blue for Black, Silver and Panther Blue, then call it a day. 

jlM1m28m.jpg  SMrEU4pm.png?1   

You stay away from that color scheme. The only change needed is the removal of silver, thank you very much.

As for the Sharks, I don't really mind the teal shark but the triangle isn't very good and all-in-all I don't really care for the hockey stick. I can't really say how I'd fix it, a slight overhaul might be needed here.

1 hour ago, QCS said:

You stay away from that color scheme. The only change needed is the removal of silver, thank you very much.

I'm saying that Carolina should retain their Black, Silver and Panther Blue, but adopt the Michigan Panthers' logo and helmets.

In my opinion, the Carolina Panthers' logo has always been - at best - an awkwardly-designed mediocrity. Which is to say, a typical pro sports logo. Honestly, there aren't a lot of truly exceptionally well-designed sports logos out there. Frankly, there's a lot of "meh".

In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I'd say that the San Jose Sharks' logo ranks amongst the bottom third of NHL team primary marks.