2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

6 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm saying that Carolina should retain their Black, Silver and Panther Blue, but adopt the Michigan Panthers' logo and helmets. In my opinion, the Carolina Panthers' logo has always been - at best - an awkwardly-designed mediocrity. Which is to say, a typical pro sports logo. Honestly, there aren't a lot of truly exceptionally well-designed sports logos out there. Frankly, there's a lot of "meh".  

Ah, I misread your post. Sorry about that. Still not a huge fan of that idea, I happen to like our logo and I think it could be perfected with a few small tweaks (which I did here). As for the Michigan Panthers, the original helmet has a better shape, but too much detail in my opinion, while the modern one is lacking in shape (and also clearly takes some influence from the Carolina Panthers). That said, I do think a helmet taking influence from the Michigan Panthers wouldn't be awful, it's just not my preferred direction.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, QCS said:

I can't really say how I'd fix it, a slight overhaul might be needed here.

That's a dichotomy if I've ever heard one.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It's like a baseball bat. They can be any color now, and a lot of the time they're not even made out of wood, but in the picture dictionary of your mind, a baseball bat is made out of wood. If a hockey stick is going to splinter apart because a shark is eating it, it should also probably look wooden. A graphite stick could handle being bitten by a shark but then arbitrarily break in the middle of a good scoring chance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, any logo that removes the orange stick kinda hurts more than it helps, honestly. The brightly-colored stick is a nice splash of bright color on a logo that is otherwise pretty cool in terms of color tone, making it teal or gray makes it feel a little too cold.

I feel like Admiral's version of the current logo is on the right track as far as straightening the triangle and editing the eye goes, but I think that color scheme is a little too heavy on the black for my tastes. Here's my own take on that logo;

spacer.png

Just the addition of some dark gray highlights, in my opinion, helps the logo a lot.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

This, but with an orange stick, would be perfect. I'm with @the admiral, it needs to be wooden.

1991-1992 Through 1997-1998

PxWfYAt.png

1998-1999 Through 2006-2007

w0sZDSA.png

2007-2008

63h22Xq.png

2008-2009 Through Present

CxuWa9o.png

2008-2009 Through Present & Rockford IceHogs Tan

cQmz8Dm.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

9 hours ago, _RH_ said:

To accurately modernize the logo we need to consider various TJs like the bread man or Pasta:

spacer.png

P.S. I don't think I've ever looked so close at the Panther's logo...

hlQYWiK.png

Showing such a lack of respect by naming players who have never touched the teal! I’d personally suggest the TJ of sharks legend, Dany Heatley. Iconic! There is nothing there! 

7 hours ago, Survival79 said:

1991-1992 Through 1997-1998

PxWfYAt.png

1998-1999 Through 2006-2007

w0sZDSA.png

2007-2008

63h22Xq.png

2008-2009 Through Present

CxuWa9o.png

2008-2009 Through Present & Rockford IceHogs Tan

cQmz8Dm.png

Honestly guys, you could do much better than this. Yes it's addressing some of the concerns we have but it's still a pretty average looking logo, and a very poorly drawn shark.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It looks about as imposing as a hand puppet.

spacer.png

The new one evokes a feeling a bit like an early-‘00s shonen anime monster.

spacer.png

Not exactly, but a similar vibe.

I think you guys are really sleeping on @Go Red Sox!’s shark design.

mHD5l5B.png
I wouldn’t say it’s perfect, but I like it more than anything the team put out. Heck, dumping the stick was a good choice, given how the hockey sticks in the logos always looked terrible.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:14 AM, Bayne said:

Honestly guys, you could do much better than this. Yes it's addressing some of the concerns we have but it's still a pretty average looking logo, and a very poorly drawn shark.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  The triangle is a huge improvement, but that’s still not a great shark. 

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It looks about as imposing as a hand puppet.

You guys are harsh XD

Gonna be honest, I love the simplified take @Survival79

It takes the original (and I do love the original despite its flaws, the hockey stick that isn't a hockey stick is the only thing that *needs* fixing imo) and removes the major issues- the hockey stick and the outlines. 

The shark itself remains as simple as it was back then, but I like that shark! The current shark looks like it came out of manga as SFGiants stated (I've heard people refer to it as a Pokemon and they're not far off) and the alternate they have reminds me of the Street Sharks cartoon from the 90s, with its exaggerated jaws and teeth. 

The irony is that the actual 90s logo is far more restrained. 

Which may be why I like it? It's a product of a very small window in time. The trends of the 90s had solidified themselves but computer technology hadn't really taken off yet. So you have logos from a very specific couple of years that have just a bit of 90s-ness to them yet are still drawn by hand have that old school human touch as a result. 

The Florida Marlins, Colorado Rockies, and Charlotte Hornets' logos fall into that category for me as well. 

And so the Sharks logo just has that "feel" for me. It's got some 90s elements- the teal and an aggressive animal- but the animal isn't overly designed or overly shaded and the other elements- the stick and triangle- come right out of an earlier, classic era of the sport (see the Penguins' logo from the 60s).

It's just got a really nice balance of elements- 90s influences, old school elements, the human touch of a hand drawn logo- that's really rare in sports.

That window when all of those things were possible shut pretty quickly once computers replaced pencil and paper. 

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

And so the Sharks logo just has that "feel" for me. It's got some 90s elements- the teal and an aggressive animal- but the animal isn't overly designed or overly shaded and the other elements- the stick and triangle- come right out of an earlier, classic era of the sport (see the Penguins' logo from the 60s).

It's just got a really nice balance of elements- 90s influences, old school elements, the human touch of a hand drawn logo- that's really rare in sports.

That window when all of those things were possible shut pretty quickly once computers replaced pencil and paper. 

This is also why I think the Mighty Ducks logo has endured so much more than the Webbed D; it's the exact same era of design as the Sharks, and even shares a similar concept with the shape background and the inclusion of sticks. But they took very different approaches to those elements; the Sharks ended up embracing that aggressive animal motif full-on with their mascot animal angrily tearing through a hockey stick, while the Mighty Ducks logo ended up remaining more iconographic and staying much closer to the traditional "hockey crest" design despite it's early 90's traits and Disney flair.

Both were huge sellers, and both became iconic for the same reasons but took different approaches to getting there. There's character and a vintage charm to those logos because they were in that transitional point where color was getting weird but design hadn't yet reached that point. It's actually pretty interesting to see design evolution captured in progress in logos like that.

Actually, it's a similar story to the Kachina Coyote now that I think about that; that's also a traditional crest design (anthropomorphic animal holding hockey stick and skating, again very much like the Penguins' crest), but filtered through the lens of an era where experimental and weird sports logos were the norm; but even that's pretty damn restrained, visually speaking, for the decade. The Canucks' Orca could fit into that same group as well, hence why both of them are also enduring far past the era they were created, whereas designs like the Burger King and Pooh Bear are reduced to comic fodder.

It's interesting to look at teams like the Coyotes and Ducks and see such a perfectly-illustrated timeline of sports aesthetics from the time they joined the league; both started out in the 90's with unorthodox logos and jerseys, then switched to far more "traditional" designs and logos by the mid-point of the 2000's. Nowadays, the majority of the public opinion is swinging back; people want both to go right back where they started because of the changing times of sports aesthetic; what the mid-2000's sports fan saw as kitschy and stupid, the modern sports fan sees as unique and interesting.

Not all 90's designs were good (most thirds of that era come to mind immediately), but any design trend has hits and misses. I could see the 2020's being a design point that ends up seeing multiple teams from the 90's era rebranding to looks that are much closer to that era. We know the Coyotes are going Kachinas for the playoff home games they have, so maybe that era's already starting for them. The Senators' rebrand has been a saga in it's own right, of course, though considering the managerial dysfunction up there, it's hard to tell if they'll go right back to the 90's look or if they'll just make yet another version of the team identity if the rebrand ever even happens.

Archived