2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

The biggest problem with the original Sharks logo is the lack of teal.  It's the teams signature colour and is relegated to just a thin outline around the triangle.  @Survival79's concept does a fine job of rectifying this problem.  Just get rid of the rounded nub on the end of the stick and it's perfect.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, to get in the mind of what the Sharks designer was thinking, I just interviewed Terry Smith this week for my podcast.  Planning to do more chatting with him down the road.  

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

21 hours ago, IceCap said:

The shark itself remains as simple as it was back then, but I like that shark! The current shark looks like it came out of manga as SFGiants stated (I've heard people refer to it as a Pokemon and they're not far off) and the alternate they have reminds me of the Street Sharks cartoon from the 90s, with its exaggerated jaws and teeth. 

I never said I thought the 'manga' shark was any good either, quite the opposite.

I mean, I do prefer the old shark, if I had to choose. I agree with your points. It's just the way the shark is drawn I think could be improved on, easily. The teeth, the eye, the gills and just the overall shape could be tweaked to make it a bit less 90's awkward and bring it in to line with how a shark might actually look. And not look quite so 'sock puppet' ish, which I think is a good comaparison lol.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, Morgan33 said:

The biggest problem with the original Sharks logo is the lack of teal.  It's the teams signature colour and is relegated to just a thin outline around the triangle.  @Survival79's concept does a fine job of rectifying this problem.  Just get rid of the rounded nub on the end of the stick and it's perfect.

Since its primary application is on a teal field, I don’t think it needs teal any more than the Blackhawks logo needs more red or the Stars logo needs more green.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It could get away with a little more teal.

I updated my earlier Sharks concept that way by giving the teal line the same weight as the black line, losing the stick crumbs, and copying some of the tape up to the top.

Mvz73SF.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually really like the stealth version of the Sharks logo on their third jersey. It would be cool to see the Sharks use that logo on a teal jersey. As I say that, I think it's time for San Jose to change their mediocre uniforms entirely. They need to at least make a new third jersey that uses their new secondary logo.

Yeah, gotta agree with Admiral on the idea of none of the full-body sharks being as good of a primary logo as the triangle shark. The full-body sharks lose more than the triangle shark when you shrink them to jersey crest size, and tend to be pretty weirdly-proportioned on the jersey when compared to the triangle shark, which is more symmetrical in both directions.

I have to imagine the Sharks organization would be all over having the full-body shark as the primary if they felt it was the correct direction to go for the branding of the team, given how branding-aware they are; the fact they've kept that idea strictly to alternate logos is probably a good indication they're not all that sold on the full-body logo as a main branding point.

For a counter-example of unorthodox sizing, the Hurricanes' double-flag logo works as a primary crest since it's a fair bit thinner than any version of the full-body shark has been for San Jose and is more even in terms of its axes. The center of attention for that logo isn't on the stick, it's on the warning flags, which centers the eye on the middle of the jersey; whereas for the full-body sharks, the logo in general tends to be rather wide or rather tall, pushing the centre of focus around.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

For a counter-example of unorthodox sizing, the Hurricanes' double-flag logo works as a primary crest

Gonna have to disagree with you on that. I don’t think it works at all.

The flag logo is way too thin for how tall the logo is. The flags also span the entire height of the logo (pretty much) so they’re not really the centre of attention for the logo.

IEI5Tg1.png

I like the latest one @the admiral posted. I don’t have a lot of problems with the current one either though. The jerseys need to be fixed more than the logo to me. I just hate how they moved away from the fin as the shoulder logo. The original one was one of the best secondary logos. It’s easy to update that to match the new shark. 

This is all I would do. Remove the cartoony stick, eliminate the orange. Add a dash of silver/grey and thicken up a few lines here and there. I wouldn't say the shark is my favourtie style of illustration but removing some extraneous stuff helps me appreciate it a bit better.

spacer.png

I really like the teal highlight on the top of the shark on the logo in a vacuum, but I prefer the full black shark logo on the teal background of the jersey. It gives it a nice graphic quality and looks sharper than breaking up the shark shape.

In conclusion, the sharks logo is a land of contrasts, thank you.

40 minutes ago, schlim said:

I really like the teal highlight on the top of the shark on the logo in a vacuum, but I prefer the full black shark logo on the teal background of the jersey. It gives it a nice graphic quality and looks sharper than breaking up the shark shape.

In conclusion, the sharks logo is a land of contrasts, thank you.

I disagree. The shark improves dramatically with some highlights/contrast. It's just a big fat black blob if not.

7 hours ago, Bayne said:

This is all I would do. Remove the cartoony stick, eliminate the orange. Add a dash of silver/grey and thicken up a few lines here and there. I wouldn't say the shark is my favourtie style of illustration but removing some extraneous stuff helps me appreciate it a bit better.

spacer.png

This is my favorite one yet. Only change I would do is have the top of the triangle be flat, like the original logo, and *maybe* add a realistic looking stick in there. Other than that, beautiful

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

7 hours ago, Bayne said:

spacer.png

Angry shark do doo do doo do doo 

Angry shark

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, Bayne said:

spacer.png

That looks great.  Man I miss that Teal, Black and Grey colour scheme.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:24 AM, Bayne said:

spacer.png

Straighten out the top of the triangle and this would be perfect.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Sharks ditching the orange and going for red instead. After all, the area that the triangle in the logo is for is the Red Triangle, not the Orange Triangle.

Orange is Anaheim's thing, anyways, as far as the three Cali teams go. I don't think the Sharks need orange to work; but I think they do need at least one vivid color. Removing all the vividness from the logo hurts it, in my opinion; it comes off too dark without that little punch of vivid color.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Sharks ditching the orange and going for red instead. After all, the area that the triangle in the logo is for is the Red Triangle, not the Orange Triangle.

Orange is Anaheim's thing, anyways, as far as the three Cali teams go. I don't think the Sharks need orange to work; but I think they do need at least one vivid color. Removing all the vividness from the logo hurts it, in my opinion; it comes off too dark without that little punch of vivid color.

The last thing we need is another red blue team

Archived