squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

There you go. But lose the white outlines on the numbers. More than enough contrast between blue and gold, it'd look much sharper.

I always wanted solid white numbers on the blue jersey. There’s already enough gold in the uniform and solid white coordinates nicely with the solid white bison and sword blades, while the blue numbers with gold trim coordinate perfectly with the circle on the white jersey.

Ehh, cuts too close to the Maple Leafs down the road. If you have the Leafs in white numbers on dark royal, the Sabres in gold numbers on dark royal, and the Blues in gold/navy/white triple-layer numbers on a lighter shade of blue, you'd have a nice separation, I think.

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I always wanted solid white numbers on the blue jersey. There’s already enough gold in the uniform and solid white coordinates nicely with the solid white bison and sword blades, while the blue numbers with gold trim coordinate perfectly with the circle on the white jersey.

I feel like that would come off a little too basic-looking, though, at least in my opinion. Like, people get on Vancouver's :censored: for using Agency without any outlines, but Buffalo using plain white block font would probably be just as ridiculed for being boring.

Single-color block really only works, in my opinion, if your team has a very limited color palette to work with (Toronto/Tampa's blue/white, Detroit's red/white) or if you have multiple similar colors on a jersey. Buffalo has three pretty distinct colors (blue/yellow/white), so I think outlined numbers works well. Single-color numbers brings them even closer to Toronto and Tampa visually, just with some yellow in the striping; and since both are already in-division rivals, you want to stand apart from them as much as possible.

Granted, Tampa's rebrand itself kinda dumps on this idea, but the many flaws of Tampa's redesign have been argued ad nauseum since it happened. I don't think Buffalo edging closer to two division rivals visually is a smart move.

Sabres are in the same situation as the Rams. Easy slam dunk choice in bringing back the throwbacks pretty much exactly. That said, I also dont trust them to do so.

I don't think any alterations need to be made outside of using the minimally tweaked Winter Classic logo.  Fans have been clamoring for the original look since 2006 and I just don't trust management to not screw things up if they start overthinking things.  The white-outlined numbers are fine.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Ehh, cuts too close to the Maple Leafs down the road. If you have the Leafs in white numbers on dark royal, the Sabres in gold numbers on dark royal, and the Blues in gold/navy/white triple-layer numbers on a lighter shade of blue, you'd have a nice separation, I think.

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I feel like that would come off a little too basic-looking, though, at least in my opinion. Like, people get on Vancouver's :censored: for using Agency without any outlines, but Buffalo using plain white block font would probably be just as ridiculed for being boring.

Single-color block really only works, in my opinion, if your team has a very limited color palette to work with (Toronto/Tampa's blue/white, Detroit's red/white) or if you have multiple similar colors on a jersey. Buffalo has three pretty distinct colors (blue/yellow/white), so I think outlined numbers works well. Single-color numbers brings them even closer to Toronto and Tampa visually, just with some yellow in the striping; and since both are already in-division rivals, you want to stand apart from them as much as possible.

Granted, Tampa's rebrand itself kinda dumps on this idea, but the many flaws of Tampa's redesign have been argued ad nauseum since it happened. I don't think Buffalo edging closer to two division rivals visually is a smart move.

Interesting. I think the white numbers look less boring because of the extra contrast. I’m also not worried about multiple blue teams wearing white numbers because they all have unique accent colors. Meanwhile, the Blackhawks, Devils, Hurricanes and Senators have long worn white numbers with black trim on their red jerseys, and we survived. I guess I’ve just never liked that the numbers on the blue jersey don’t coordinate with anything else; they’re the only thing in the identity that’s gold trimmed in white (other than maybe a wordmark). This is actually what sold me on it:

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Interesting. I think the white numbers look less boring because of the extra contrast. 

I think a case can be made that, regardless of the team's colours, numbers almost ALWAYS look better in white on the home unis.

10 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I don't think any alterations need to be made outside of using the minimally tweaked Winter Classic logo.  Fans have been clamoring for the original look since 2006 and I just don't trust management to not screw things up if they start overthinking things.  The white-outlined numbers are fine.

Bold - I just don't get it. I understand an Owner owns owwwns the Team for himself and they can do what they want (because they Own the Team) but when the Fanbase WANTS a particular look, you gotta listen. The Fanbase is a Teams support system it's life blood, don't be a fool like bob nutting (Pittsburgh Pirates owner) and piss them off, time and again. From personal experience being a Pens fan (hating howard baldwin for changing the logo / uniform) and later an usher at CONSOL Energy Center, where the Pens would give Fan Surveys to the Fans to fill out a few times a season. These surveys ranged from: How the Fans view the state of the the Franchise, Game day experience, Fan wants / needs and Which Uniform style / logo / color scheme they prefer). The Fans have been clamouring for the return of the '88-'92 style uniform, skating Penguin and Pittsburgh Gold (Lemieux listened and that's what the Pens now wear). Throw the Fanbase a bone every now and then, if they want the CLASSIC Sabres look, then by God give it to them (God knows the Fanbase hasn't had much to be happy about over the last decade or 2)

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I guess I’ve just never liked that the numbers on the blue jersey don’t coordinate with anything else; they’re the only thing in the identity that’s gold trimmed in white (other than maybe a wordmark).

I mean, the pants stripe on the retros was gold trimmed in white;

spacer.png

So there is some coordination in the identity for white-trimmed gold.

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Meanwhile, the Blackhawks, Devils, Hurricanes and Senators have long worn white numbers with black trim on their red jerseys, and we survived.

Yeah, that's two too many; the Senators should always be in black sweaters, and the Hurricanes should come up with anything else.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Those are the best and true Sabres uniforms plus the whites. The white font bordering is perfect along with the pants striping. The Bruins and Penguins have yellow-gold font on their blacks with white bordering as well.

I do hope the Sabres go back to that exact uniform design and template. They had a great thing going with their crest and uniforms until they screwed it up in  '96.

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Good catch. I forgot about that.

Looking at it in full, I think this uniform just has too much gold for such a tiny amount of white, and I really dislike how the stripes look rich and crisp while the white trimmed elements take on a decidedly brighter tone and clash with the stripes. I’m definitely not against using colors in very specific, strategic, and/or unconventional ways (like the Dodgers’ front digits or even the bison’s red eye), but this one has always bugged me for some reason. In this case, think it works best when the ratio of white to gold on the logo is reflected more closely in the uniform. Or just go all in on solid gold numbers like @the admiral suggested and leave the white as a focal color to set off the bison and sword blades.

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Looking at it in full, I think this uniform just has too much gold for such a tiny amount of white, and I really dislike how the stripes look rich and crisp while the white trimmed elements take on a decidedly brighter tone and clash with the stripes. I’m definitely not against using colors in very specific, strategic, and/or unconventional ways (like the Dodgers’ front digits or even the bison’s red eye), but this one has always bugged me for some reason. In this case, think it works best when the ratio of white to gold on the logo is reflected more closely in the uniform.

I think you could get away with a more consistent design by having the striping be a white/gold/white pattern all across the uniform rather than having all the stripes be gold except for on the pants. Spreads the white through the uniform rather then concentrating it in the logo and pants.

The big problem really is just that the balance is kinda off; white's a prominent logo color that's basically minimized to the pants on the actual uniform itself, whereas gold is a trim on the logo but a prominent uniform color. Just making the color use between the pants and the rest of the uniform consistent would help the Sabres a lot, in my opinion.

I think the thin gold stripes that mimic the use of gold in the logo are far too on-point to ditch for the Sabres. It works so well without the white and looks so much crisper as @andrewharrington said.I like the idea of allowing the logo to really stand alone and pop off the jersey but, having said that, I would supplement that with white numbers. I think that could look really clean and be a really nice balanced use of the yellow and gold. No white and gold touching.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, Fitzy0220 said:

From personal experience being a Pens fan (hating howard baldwin for changing the logo / uniform) and later an usher at CONSOL Energy Center, where the Pens would give Fan Surveys to the Fans to fill out a few times a season. These surveys ranged from: How the Fans view the state of the the Franchise, Game day experience, Fan wants / needs and Which Uniform style / logo / color scheme they prefer). The Fans have been clamouring for the return of the '88-'92 style uniform, skating Penguin and Pittsburgh Gold (Lemieux listened and that's what the Pens now wear).

Not everything is about Pittsburgh. 

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

You're right it's not BUT it's the Example I am able to use because I have experienced it. I LIVED through it I cannot use an Example from the City of Philadelphia or the Flyers because I know nothing about them (other than reading about it). Guaran damn tee IF I used an example of the Flyers, I'd get bashed if it were wrong, correct?? So I just go with what I know, tell me what's so wrong with using Example of WHAT I KNOW??

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I honestly thought that was a good parallel. Pitt has been better for the change as well. Strange comment. 

Sports uniforms just tend to look better with more vibrant colors IMO, especially if the team had already used more vibrant colors in their past. The Pens and Sabres are good examples of that. As a Blues fan, I would throw them in the mix as well. I have always hated the inclusion of navy. Soooo dull. Their throwbacks in the powder blue are gorgeous. 

20 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I honestly thought that was a good parallel. Pitt has been better for the change as well. Strange comment. 

I'm just commenting on a noticeable pattern. 

50 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

You're right it's not BUT it's the Example I am able to use because I have experienced it. I LIVED through it I cannot use an Example from the City of Philadelphia or the Flyers because I know nothing about them (other than reading about it). Guaran damn tee IF I used an example of the Flyers, I'd get bashed if it were wrong, correct?? So I just go with what I know, tell me what's so wrong with using Example of WHAT I KNOW??

I mean the discussion is about the Sabres.

You have a history of trying to tie everything back into Pittsburgh. It's just something I've noticed. 

And can we have a conversation without randomly bolded and capitalized words?

3 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Sports uniforms just tend to look better with more vibrant colors IMO, especially if the team had already used more vibrant colors in their past. The Pens and Sabres are good examples of that. As a Blues fan, I would throw them in the mix as well. I have always hated the inclusion of navy. Soooo dull. Their throwbacks in the powder blue are gorgeous. 

Thank You! I wish the Blues would go Retro as well.

The Pens, Islanders, Capitals, Blues, Sabres, Flames and Oilers (until they F'd it up by going back to Navy) all had these wonderfully brightly colored uniforms and then for some Godforsaken reason over time they went dull and drab (it's like I was time warped back to 1983, watching sports on my parents 13" White Westinghouse black and white tv)

1 hour ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Thank You! I wish the Blues would go Retro as well.

I think the Blues look bright and traditional enough already without going full retro.  The white's they lifted the cup in last year are among the best in the league IMO.