2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

7 hours ago, Bayne said:

Really? I like the throwback logo, but I think the modern version they use is almost perfection. The weight and balance of it just feels much more solid and better executed to me. I do like the simpler, thicker yellow stroke around the throwback though.

I'm not that bothered though. I still think the Blues have one of, if not the best looking logo designs in the NHL.

spacer.png

The current one just looks overly bulbous to me, almost clumsy. Like, you ever see those plush slippers made to look like sneakers?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once I saw it, I couldn’t unsee it.

I also appreciate the downward angle of the ball on the original. It’s subtle, but much more accurate to the way music notes are written (drawn?).

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The throwback logo looks awkwardly shaped and unbalanced to me.  I don't think the white and yellow outlines touching is a big deal either.  I suppose it can look like a print error on very small applications of the logo, but most of the time it looks sharp and mirrors the striping pattern of the jerseys.

Interesing @andrewharrington, I didn't see the logo that way but I guess it could be argued that it does look a bit bulbous (especially compared to the accurate depiction of a musical note). To me, the Blues logo is probably like the Ballard leaf logo which got 'upgraded' to a cleaned up throwback a couple years ago. Initially I didn't like the idea and thought the throwback logo had too many small unconventional peculiarities, by modern logo design standards. However, now that I'm used to seeing it, I think it's a great looking logo actually, and makes them look a bit more classy. I feel that the Blues throwback logo would even more easily fall into the same category for me. If they went with the throwback full time I'd very soon be championing for it over the one they currently wear. So yes, I'm biased towards existing material.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:29 PM, andrewharrington said:

I also appreciate the downward angle of the ball on the original. It’s subtle, but much more accurate to the way music notes are written (drawn?).

Skewing the stem of the note makes it hard to insist on that level of attention to detail. Call it artistic license, the shape of the current note is fine.

Also, I think the current Blue Note corrects for the plushy bulbousness of the previous one with the red:

glxp9zgg8q7mryq3pdpg07i3g.png

That probably looked too soft, plus it had that "St. Louis" there to remind everyone they weren't gonna bug out to Saskatoon.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Using this logo would have greatly improved the Blues red-using days.  It was used on their more conservative, red-trimmed jerseys but only for two years.  They shouldn't have changed it.  It makes the inclusion of red less redundant and doesn't have that "Print Error" effect.

dyt7eSb.png

I disagree. The white numbers make both the home and away more balanced, where they have the same amount of gold. It could be just me, but when I watched them during the playoffs last year, it was slightly easier for me to read the numbers compared to when they were gold (though that's the case for white numbers in general).

wait, did the blues ever actually use the retro blue note with the angled bulb at the top of this page? The mothership shows a flattened bulb on the original jerseys and it seems a little bigger, I could be wrong. the winter classic seems like the angle is exaggerated compared to the actual original

4 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I disagree. The white numbers make both the home and away more balanced, where they have the same amount of gold. It could be just me, but when I watched them during the playoffs last year, it was slightly easier for me to read the numbers compared to when they were gold (though that's the case for white numbers in general).

I definitely agree. The current jerseys color hierarchy is navy blue, royal blue, white and then yellow. (The road white does have a royal yoke, which is a little off in the hierarchy, but I personally think works better than a navy one.) The Blues first couple of jerseys needed yellow to balance it out better, but since they added navy, it has always felt outta place. Somehow, the yellow numbers remind me of McDonald’s, so I’m glad they changed them. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

19 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

wait, did the blues ever actually use the retro blue note with the angled bulb at the top of this page? The mothership shows a flattened bulb on the original jerseys and it seems a little bigger, I could be wrong. the winter classic seems like the angle is exaggerated compared to the actual original

It depends on the jersey, because each one was hand cut and the stem being so thin often resulted in the surviving examples being a little warped and stretched, so some of them appear with a slightly tilted ball, but others look straighter. The league’s official vintage logos almost never match what was on the jersey, so that may be why the mothership has a different one. Generally speaking, when recreating crests from eras before computer-aided cutting, we try to maintain the compositional quirks from the past, but we don’t try to design wear and tear into it (not tryin’ to be Hollister over here). Often, we have to make a judgment call on where to draw that distinction, for example, in this case we kept the ball slightly tilted for reasons previously stated, but chose to make the stem and the staff lines clean and straight instead of warped, and I think the result was just right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Interestingly, the more familiar form they use today has been the print logo for most, if not all of their history. This is from 1970:

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Buffalo AND Ottawa going (sort of) back to their original looks ? Awesome !

Hopefully, Calgary, Tampa and San Jose will follow

Alternatively, all of the teams mentioned should just new looks inspired by their original looks. Take what they have back in the day and minimally upgrade them.

Also, Tampa Bay didn't have any good jerseys since franchise history.

23 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It depends on the jersey, because each one was hand cut and the stem being so thin often resulted in the surviving examples being a little warped and stretched, so some of them appear with a slightly tilted ball, but others look straighter. The league’s official vintage logos almost never match what was on the jersey, so that may be why the mothership has a different one. Generally speaking, when recreating crests from eras before computer-aided cutting, we try to maintain the compositional quirks from the past, but we don’t try to design wear and tear into it (not tryin’ to be Hollister over here). Often, we have to make a judgment call on where to draw that distinction, for example, in this case we kept the ball slightly tilted for reasons previously stated, but chose to make the stem and the staff lines clean and straight instead of warped, and I think the result was just right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Interestingly, the more familiar form they use today has been the print logo for most, if not all of their history. This is from 1970:

spacer.png

I am super biased because I am a die hard Blues fan, but the blue note really is killer. It is simple and interesting at the same time. I have always been a big fan of the Flyers logo as well. I love logos that are simple yet interesting, and unique enough that when you see it, you know right away what team it is. The Red Wing is in that category as well.

4 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

You're right, but at least their cup winning set was original, with a unique color scheme, unlike their current Maple wings set

2 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

You're right, but at least their cup winning set was original, with a unique color scheme, unlike their current Maple wings set

4 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Alternatively, all of the teams mentioned should just new looks inspired by their original looks. Take what they have back in the day and minimally upgrade them.

I actually liked what they rolled out with the transition to Reebok for '06-'07. Didn't like that Ottawa and Pittsburgh used the same template but I liked it for Tampa

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived