2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

The Coyotes are flirting with going Kachina full-time, the Senators are already pretty much confirmed to be going back to their 90's look full time, it wouldn't shock me if the Ducks were also flirting with going back to the Mighty style. The Ducks know how popular the original set is, but I have a feeling they're not as keen on complete reversion as a team like the Senators might be, because of how much emphasis on orange there is in their marketing; the eggplant/jade/orange combo was all over their anniversary stuff at Disneyland.

Which is why I'm wondering if the Ducks are flirting with going the route of eggplant/jade/orange. It combines the eras, lets them keep the orange and is a completely unique combo of colors in the NHL.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Ducks go back to the eggplant and jade, they need to keep orange to an absolute minimum imo. Otherwise it starts to look like a clown suit. The eggplant and jade can look nice together but throwing in too much orange (which they likely would in order to hold onto that orange thing they've got right now) would be a mistake. Kind of like the Coyotes and their originals jerseys...too much going on. drop the purple. It just looks a bit too much.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 minute ago, Bayne said:

If the Ducks go back to the eggplant and jade, they need to keep orange to an absolute minimum imo. Otherwise it starts to look like a clown suit. The eggplant and jade can look nice together but throwing in too much orange (which they likely would in order to hold onto that orange thing they've got right now) would be a mistake. Kind of like the Coyotes and their originals jerseys...too much going on. drop the purple. It just looks a bit too much.

How about eggplant purple and orange?? That would be perfect.

38 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

How about eggplant purple and orange?? That would be perfect.

Sure, but why would they do that.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Eggplant and jade with an orange accent could work, if done right. Last year I made a concept with that idea in mind.

10 hours ago, M4One said:

I believe there's been rumours about the Ducks making a change the past couple of years, maybe making the switch to the orange alternate full time.  Or, maybe that was just people here thinking that could happen.  Anything is possible.

That's mostly been based on conjecture and - admittedly - wishful thinking. For as much as they've been throwing us a bone with Mighty Ducks stuff in recent years, the orange third's Reebok incarnation wasn't introduced with any fanfare, was never worn in the playoffs, was quietly removed with the switch to Adidas, and was then casually reintroduced to replace the 25th Anniverary third - which, in retrospect, was given much more of a special treatment. And hey, I guess you can't wear that special anniversary third jersey in the playoffs if you don't make the playoffs! 🙃

If I recall correctly - and someone here pointed this out, but I don't remember who (EDIT: monkeypower) - one of the reasons the orange third has yet to see the postseason (at least aside from the Ducks being crap) is because the the players prefer the black jerseys, because of course they do. Also I vaguely recall Bob Murray mentioning Edmonton going with orange home uniforms, and maybe that's factored into why the Ducks haven't switched.

10 hours ago, M4One said:

If they aren't, they should consider changes because I think their current primaries are a mess.

Yes.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

If I recall correctly - and someone here pointed this out, but I don't remember who - one of the reasons the orange third has yet to see the postseason (at least aside from the Ducks being crap) is because the the players prefer the black jerseys, because of course they do.

That was me.

This is all from a Reddit comment I saw from someone who says they have an in with the Ducks organization, so you know mileage may vary, but IIRC,

• The Samueli's like the orange jerseys
  • The players don't really like the orange jerseys (with no indication if this is due to the logo, the orange or anything, just that they don't like it for some reason)
  • The players were the ones to choose going with the black jerseys in past playoff appearances when the orange jersey was an option
  • However, the players were big fans of the 25th anniversary jerseys

4 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

That's mostly been based on conjecture and - admittedly - wishful thinking. For as much as they've been throwing us a bone with Mighty Ducks stuff in recent years, the orange third's Reebok incarnation wasn't introduced with any fanfare, was never worn in the playoffs, was quietly removed with the switch to Adidas, and was then casually reintroduced to replace the 25th Anniverary third - which, in retrospect, was given much more of a special treatment. And hey, I guess you can't wear that special anniversary third jersey in the playoffs if you don't make the playoffs! 🙃

To be fair to the Ducks, all third jerseys were quietly removed with the switch to Adidas and I don't remember much fanfare surrounding any of the teams who just decided to bring back the alternates that they had been wearing immediately prior to the Adidas switch.

IEI5Tg1.png

I feel like not enough people are talking about this right now anywhere, this potential "fourth jersey-modified throwbacks" program thing. 

I remember Michael Russo of the Athletic referencing plans for this program in an article a while back (I swear I posted about it here when I saw it) and this is Icethetics' blurb on it from their JerseyWatch 2020 post where they say they have sources confirming the program.

THE FOURTH JERSEY PROGRAM

Currently, 20 of 31 NHL teams employ a third jersey. The big headline for the 2020-21 season promises to be the introduction of a new series of alternate uniforms—what I’m calling the fourth jersey. Recent reports have suggested that teams will have special throwback jerseys next season.

Icethetics sources confirm this new program, describing them “throwbacks with a twist.” I’m told that what makes some of the sweaters even more interesting may be the individual match-ups, which will take place primarily in November and December.

Multiple Icethetics sources have now provided jersey descriptions that suggest the “twist” could be as simple as a color inversion (i.e.: a blue Canadiens sweater with a red chest stripe).

Not every team will add a fourth jersey, but many will. At this time, I don’t have a lot of information about this new set of sweaters. But my sense is it will dominate the NHL uniform conversation this summer.

Though I’m referring to it as a “fourth jersey” until something more official comes along, a team could still use one without necessarily having a designated third jersey.

I'll go back to Reddit for the second time in two posts here, so again mileage may vary, but there was a comment about an eggplant version of the Wild Wing jersey in connection to this rumoured program.

This could all just be baseless rumours (and COVID could have thrown a wrench into it if it is true) but it's still something I think is newsworthy.

IEI5Tg1.png

21 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'm hoping for a Kings black, purple and silver throwback.  Those were my favorites.  I hate the current set.

I mean I can understand why, but to many fans their essentially the same thing...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 8/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, monkeypower said:

I feel like not enough people are talking about this right now anywhere, this potential "fourth jersey-modified throwbacks" program thing. 

I remember Michael Russo of the Athletic referencing plans for this program in an article a while back (I swear I posted about it here when I saw it) and this is Icethetics' blurb on it from their JerseyWatch 2020 post where they say they have sources confirming the program.

I'll go back to Reddit for the second time in two posts here, so again mileage may vary, but there was a comment about an eggplant version of the Wild Wing jersey in connection to this rumoured program.

This could all just be baseless rumours (and COVID could have thrown a wrench into it if it is true) but it's still something I think is newsworthy.

I'm pretty excited about this, because I feel like the trend right now is making the third jersey a "throwback." And while I LOVE a lot of the throwback unis, it is eliminating some really cool ideas that could be happening on an alternate sweater. 

7 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

The Kings should be wearing something like this. (Small tweaks to the logo.)

qsWjWuR.png

0W7kuN8.png

The logo is awesom, but i fall in the category of fans want some purple. The NHL needs some color variation badly. I would love to see a purple/yellow variation of these.

Archived