2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

On 8/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, Gothamite said:

They could still screw it up - a lot of clubs make changes in between rendering and reality - but they’re off to an amazing start. 

Nope. That’s it, that’s the final jersey design.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ebod39 said:

Nope. That’s it, that’s the final jersey design.

I certainly hope so.

But right now, it only exists as pixels on a screen.  They have yet to even make a single mockup or prototype of the design.  When they actually get ready for manufacture, they may find production problems with a color, or decide to tweak the striping balance because it doesn't look in person they way an owner thought they would look in person.

We've seen this as recently as a few weeks ago, when the Chargers released photos of players in their new uniforms.  They had been changed in subtle ways from the original photoshopped press releases.  

Screen-Shot-2020-08-04-at-5.09.54-PM.png

And the Patriots released Photoshops of their new uniforms, with the wrong color pants.

So it's not unheard of for a team to make changes between digital unveiling and the actual uniforms.  But if the Kraken don't screw it up, they'll have one of the best looks in the sport.

Nice that they are are going back to the Kachinca, But weird that they are emphasizing green in everything. Would think they'd still want the same brick red as their main color. (I think they should invert the red and green coloring on the shoulders)

Yeah, to me it's like they're just adopting the old Katchina jersey without actually using any semblance of strategy about how to evolve from their current identity. There's some cool stuff you could do with the brick colour, and the black, merging into the brick and black in the Katchina logo etc. I think that the Katchina jersey could be something really epic, but it feel like it's just getting trotted out, like "here you go". 

I really don't like how dark the jerseys are, and the pruple annoys the heck out of me, but I guess that's just my problem. I think with a few minor tweaks (or what I would call upgrades) they could be really great, but it looks like they're just a straight copy to the adidas template, and that's a little bit of a let down.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

11 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Nice that they are are going back to the Kachinca, But weird that they are emphasizing green in everything. Would think they'd still want the same brick red as their main color. (I think they should invert the red and green coloring on the shoulders)

Emphasizing the green emphasizes that it's different. 

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I certainly hope so.

But right now, it only exists as pixels on a screen.  They have yet to even make a single mockup or prototype of the design.  When they actually get ready for manufacture, they may find production problems with a color, or decide to tweak the striping balance because it doesn't look in person they way an owner thought they would look in person.

As one of the designers on the project and uniform designer, it's the final design. 

As for Chargers, that's just bad/inaccurate first photoshop job. Not really any changes.

The Patriots released the wrong images, it was a mistake. Not a changes.

2 hours ago, ebod39 said:

As one of the designers on the project and uniform designer, it's the final design. 

I am very glad to hear that.

The fact remains that teams have released initial graphics that don't reflect the final version, for whatever reason.  I am relieved to hear that the Kraken won't be among them.

1 hour ago, ebod39 said:

Speaking strictly about the NHL, I can’t think of an example From the past 10-15 years (since Reebok took over) of a uniform changing from the unveil to the first game. 

The Lightning's 2011 jerseys were unveiled without black trim and fan outcry forced them to add black trim before they saw the ice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Lightning's 2011 jerseys were unveiled without black trim and fan outcry forced them to add black trim before they saw the ice.

I wouldn't necessarily count that since the changes are so small and really didn't affect the actual jersey.  Numbers can be swapped out at any point without changing the actual jersey.  Tampa did that with their original set having 4 different number fonts.  

On 8/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, Morgan33 said:

Arizona continuing to push the Kachina look, even incorporating elements from the logo in the type.

3MCQLXe.png

They are still technically playing a postseason which they are using the alternate jersey for the designated home games. The Coyotes are doing a good job in generating interest by marketing that look for the current moment while wearing that jersey. The Carolina Hurricanes are also wearing their alternate for this tournament and you do not see them pushing it hard for that to become their primary uniform. So, it does not mean the Coyotes are making a switch.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:02 PM, njdevs7 said:

Where have you heard or read that the Coyotes are in fact making the Kachina look as their primary uniform? We have not, so until there is any announcement of that, your statement is inaccurate. As I said before, the team is marketing it for this current postseason. The Kachina look never had the brick red as a primary color. Once you start tinkering with the design in changing the colors, what is the point of that jersey's popularity where many fans want to see it worn more? I'm pretty sure the Coyotes marketing team had reviewed which color would go best for the current postseason promos.

4 hours ago, cityhockeyfever said:

Again, just because an NHL team goes with their alternate jersey for the playoffs, it does not mean they are switching to it full time.

K, but they wouldn’t be the first to go to a throwback full time after wearing it throughout the playoffs. And with promotional material for next year all focusing on it it makes it evident they are switching possibly.

Archived