2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

This could just be EA Sports EA Sports-ing, but the NHL 21 reveal trailer showed the Flames with a different number font, a font that looks like the basic block font from the retros.

sowBHEr.png

usa_today_13577829.0.jpg

I don't know if this means anything, because of the aforementioned EA Sports-ing, but it's something different.

Though it would be peak-Flames for the only retro thing to be made full-time is the number font (which I think would be a downgrade removing the black outline from numbers of the current set).

IEI5Tg1.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, TheLAKnight said:

Thanks to NHL Uniforms, Dallas (1999), Columbus (2007), Atlanta (2007), and the Islanders (2010) all also promoted an alternate look. Not a stretch to think the Coyotes, and Flames again for that matter, will too.

Woof I forgot about those blue jerseys.  It wasn't really a bad color, but the jersey was bad execution and didnt pair well with the white.

Thrashers05.png

On 8/22/2020 at 3:42 AM, Ark said:

Speaking of taking from All Star Game uniforms, the Wild should totally do that

a3e2c47a86df958170d920e5f2b62cd7

If I could get my hands on an East jersey from this game I would be all over it.  One of my favorites....

On 8/23/2020 at 12:04 PM, ManillaToad said:

Carolina's aways are so good looking that it doesn't even matter they shortened their name

spacer.png

It's so close to perfection. You change CANES to CAROLINA, and you put the hurricane logo in place of the O, you have their best uniform ever. It would still be unique and quirky, but it would look so much more natural.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

I agree. However, they could still be interpreted as word marks, though.

When i made that statement, i meant wordmarks like the Hurricanes's road jerseys or the Tampa's former jerseys (for example)

14 hours ago, hockey week said:

It's so close to perfection. You change CANES to CAROLINA, and you put the hurricane logo in place of the O, you have their best uniform ever. It would still be unique and quirky, but it would look so much more natural.

Their overall brand is much more associated with the nickname ''Canes'' than with Carolina.

I can't remember the last time they ever marketed themselves primarily as Carolina's team, in some way.

20 hours ago, hockey week said:

A team nickname doesn't belong on the front of a jersey in the NHL, but the team's state name with their primary logo replacing a small letter is even worse IMO. I mean, these are wordmarks for marketing purposes at best, not jersey logos. Come on people. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I just don't like anything about any of Carolina's branding. Not the home, the road, the third, the wordmarks, the logos.... blow it up and start over

Me neither and I never have. I find every version of its identity over the past 20+ years very dull.

27 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Me neither and I never have. I find every version of its identity over the past 20+ years very dull.

Same here. When Carolina joined the league there were already four other teams whose primary colors were red and black (Chicago, Buffalo, New Jersey, and Ottawa). Then there were three more teams whose primary color was red (Calgary, Detroit, and Montreal). And still two more teams whose primary colors were reddish (Colorado and Florida).

The last thing the league needed was more red. Add in a nickname that doesn't really lend itself to logo-ization, and you're left with defining features like... an interesting hemline. And italicized names and numbers (also already used by Buffalo and Calgary... two of the other red/black teams with unique hemlines).

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

A team nickname doesn't belong on the front of a jersey in the NHL... 

That’s too broad of a brush for me:

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 8/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, hockey week said:

It's so close to perfection. You change CANES to CAROLINA, and you put the hurricane logo in place of the O, you have their best uniform ever.

I vastly prefer their original white jersey.  Even the previous, non-matching one, was better simply for using their primary logo.  The slanted nickname feels like a leftover from the early RBK era when the 1992 expansion cousins started the (thankfully) short-lived trend.

oHZRmHA.jpg

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s too broad of a brush for me:

spacer.png

Sorry, I consider that a name, not a nickname. I'm talking about Sens, Bolts, Canes etc.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:36 AM, chcarlson23 said:

But they already did with their 2009-2017 alternate jerseys. And those inspired the current road jersey back in 2013 and then the current home in 2017. So in a way, these inspired the Wild’s current look. 

This would go with what Minny/Dallas did starting in the mid to late 90's till they got the college script set. They would mimic All Star Game jerseys. Both the "star jerseys" and the set they came to Dallas with. 

The "CANES" sweater is an example of something that, if you described all of the individual elements to me, I would call it a terrible idea. But it just works. I think it's the nicest road uniform they've ever had.

10 hours ago, Bayne said:

Sorry, I consider that a name, not a nickname. I'm talking about Sens, Bolts, Canes etc.

Not as versed in hockey as a lot of people here, but even for team names, it's something that should remain fairly rare, right? The Rangers are obviously grandfathered in, but, as a for instance, I don't think that jersey gets much if any better saying "HURRICANES" instead.

17 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Not as versed in hockey as a lot of people here, but even for team names, it's something that should remain fairly rare, right? The Rangers are obviously grandfathered in, but, as a for instance, I don't think that jersey gets much if any better saying "HURRICANES" instead.

I don't know if it should remain fairly rare...it's fairly common in college and minor league hockey. The biggest issue for me is that when ever I see it, I always think it's just borrowing from the Rangers. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

No I agree, I'm not advocating that I think team names should be emblazoned across the chest - it is a Rangers thing. I wouldn't lose my mind if another team found a way to make it work, but the shortned team nickname is what I have a problem with.

It’s just odd that it’s the road jersey they’ve put “CANES” across. The black and storm grey alternate seems like a better fit for that. The road jersey should either say “CAROLINA” or just “HURRICANES” similar to how the Rangers have just Rangers and have had New York in the Past...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived