2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

It’s just odd that it’s the road jersey they’ve put “CANES” across. The black and storm grey alternate seems like a better fit for that. The road jersey should either say “CAROLINA” or just “HURRICANES” similar to how the Rangers have just Rangers and have had New York in the Past...

It really should have the primary logo on it, which is nowhere to be found on the jersey.  The only team that should have the diagonal script is the Rangers, but that's only because they've done it for so long and get grandfathered in.  No team today should be coming up with a new jersey with that same concept.  Why spend the money and time developing a logo, only to not put it on the damn jersey.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/28/2020 at 11:31 PM, M4One said:

It really should have the primary logo on it, which is nowhere to be found on the jersey.  The only team that should have the diagonal script is the Rangers, but that's only because they've done it for so long and get grandfathered in.  No team today should be coming up with a new jersey with that same concept.  Why spend the money and time developing a logo, only to not put it on the damn jersey.

I think diagonal script is fine for teams other than the Rangers IF its an alternate....see the Colorado alt from the 2000's-10's

27822513fe29d5ebd682710dc5e579fd.jpg

4165284710_d3488e248d-575x650.jpg

On 8/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, DoubleStraps said:

Same here. When Carolina joined the league there were already four other teams whose primary colors were red and black (Chicago, Buffalo, New Jersey, and Ottawa). Then there were three more teams whose primary color was red (Calgary, Detroit, and Montreal). And still two more teams whose primary colors were reddish (Colorado and Florida).

The last thing the league needed was more red. Add in a nickname that doesn't really lend itself to logo-ization, and you're left with defining features like... an interesting hemline. And italicized names and numbers (also already used by Buffalo and Calgary... two of the other red/black teams with unique hemlines).

To be fair when the Whalers moved to NC the Sens & Sabres were primarily black teams, and the Devils & Hawks wear black helmets/pants. With Karmanos being a Michigan native it's obvious that he was a fan of the Red Wings look and decided to go with all-red. Considering the hurricane warning flag there's at least some justification for the colour scheme.

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

To be fair when the Whalers moved to NC the Sens & Sabres were primarily black teams, and the Devils & Hawks wear black helmets/pants. With Karmanos being a Michigan native it's obvious that he was a fan of the Red Wings look and decided to go with all-red. Considering the hurricane warning flag there's at least some justification for the colour scheme.

The real reason he went with red/black/silver is because the team shares an arena with NC State, who also happen to be red/black/silver. I imagine the warning flag justification came after.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I think diagonal script is fine for teams other than the Rangers IF its an alternate....see the Colorado alt from the 2000's-10's

4165284710_d3488e248d-575x650.jpg

I think (especially for the Coloroado example) it's completely derivative and I still don't like it, even for an alternate.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

7 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Nah, not even alternates.  I really like this burgundy alternate, but it would have looked a whole lot better with the logo on the front instead of the script.  

17 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Ah, Fanatics. The logos are probably a vinyl decal slapped onto the jersey, and it still reuses the Reebok neckline.

Only on the women's cut jerseys.

Shame really, I liked the neckline better with reebok and wish adidas still used it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

spacer.png

I've always preferred the version of this jersey with the white striping added in; it feels like it just completes the set, visually. Slap the Peace Tower logo on the shoulders instead of the S and maybe have a touched-up version of the primary and this would be a real nice set for the Sens. I'm partial to the 2000's laurel alternate, but this would be a damned close second.

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

"It CoPiEs ThE rAnGeRs!"

I get that the Rangers are the most famous, prominent and will be (unfairly) used as a comparison, but it's just letters set diagonally on the front a jersey. That's like saying Seattle is copying 30 other teams by having a logo on the front.

It's not that it's copying the Rangers, it's that the logo, whether it be the primary or alternate, should always be on the front of the jersey.  Having a script, diagonal or straight across, simply does not look as good.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:12 PM, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

I've always preferred the version of this jersey with the white striping added in; it feels like it just completes the set, visually. Slap the Peace Tower logo on the shoulders instead of the S and maybe have a touched-up version of the primary and this would be a real nice set for the Sens. I'm partial to the 2000's laurel alternate, but this would be a damned close second.

This x1000. I remember when the Sens first debuted...I liked the uni but the roads without that white stripe looked too dark. 

TurgeonSott.jpg

6 hours ago, Ark said:

I'll post this every time someone says diagonal name jerseys are bad

DWGQeb3UQAAczue.jpg

Lol it doesn't though. It's just OK.

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

"It CoPiEs ThE rAnGeRs!"

I get that the Rangers are the most famous, prominent and will be (unfairly) used as a comparison, but it's just letters set diagonally on the front a jersey. That's like saying Seattle is copying 30 other teams by having a logo on the front.

It's nothing like that at all. Letters written on a downward diagonal direction are the same thing. Logos are all completely unique.

5 hours ago, QCS said:

That's a good jersey, but it would look better with an actual crest on the front. The same thing goes for the Rangers, actually.

Sure it does. But they get away with it becuase they were the first to do it - and it doesn't look bad, but I'd prefer a logo. Other teams doing the same thing is just a lazy rip-off and it doesn't even look good. Most of them are too long so the letters get too small making it even worse. 7 letters seems to be about the right balance, no more.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived