squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

44 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

For some reason, they made updated versions of the majority of their classic logos, but always decided to stick with the Orca as the primary. Some of these modernized secondary logos have been around since 2007.

I agree to keep the current colors but bring back the Flying Skates for special events.

For the Canucks, they can go one of three ways:

1. Original and timeless Stick in Rink.

2. Recoloured Skate 

3. Any version of Johnny Canuck except the V-head.

In the meantime, the new retro Sabres and Flames, soon to be followed by the Kraken, have pushed the Canucks' Orca sweaters along with the cheap Agency font further down the NHL rankings. What saves the Canucks is the beautiful blue, green and white scheme.

13 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

For the Canucks, they can go one of three ways:

1. Original and timeless Stick in Rink.

2. Recoloured Skate 

3. Any version of Johnny Canuck except the V-head.

If they didn't go with either of the two updated Stick n' Rinks by now, I just don't know why this year will be any different.

Seems like Canucks have the same issue as the Senators. They don't want to use these modernized takes on vintage logos, even though aesthetically the new versions are up to date...

They re-made the Millionaires, Johnny Canuck, the S n' R, the original Orca got a makeover too. The Skate in green and blue I think it's the only one they haven't done yet.

1 minute ago, habsfan1 said:

If they didn't go with either of the two updated Stick n' Rinks by now, I just don't know why this year will be any different.

Seems like Canucks have the same issue as the Senators. They don't want to use these modernized takes on vintage logos, even though aesthetically the new versions are up to date...

They re-made the Millionaires, Johnny Canuck, the S n' R, the Skake in green and blue I think it's the only one they haven't done yet.

The Senators' updated 2D centurion is beautiful. How and why they simply dismissed it, even as an alternate is mind-boggling. The Canucks' latest updated Stick in Rink is a bastardization of a timeless classic. The stick is crooked and looks cartoony. The logo can't even be inverted on a white background. 

It's long overdue to give Johnny Canuck alternate sweater status to start plus a return to block-style font.

Are we talking about the Canucks again? I never thought I'd get sick of my favourite team being the subject of discussion.

The Orca sucks, but I've made peace with it. The removal of the wordmark upgraded the logo from being possibly the worst in the league to just being dumb. The Canucks have never had a truly good logo, just various incarnations of logos with deep flaws that everyone has their own personal favorite. What they do have however is a top 10 uniform in terms of colour scheme and striping that fits them perfectly. So quite frankly the more that people advocate for changing the look again the more they risk ruining the parts of the team's identity they got right for what likely would only amount to being a lateral move in the logo department.

At least the Orca, for whatever flaws it may have, has stuck, which is something the Canucks have had a ridiculously hard time getting something to do. The last thing they need to do is another brand change.

The Stick-in-Rink is where it should be in the modern NHL; it's just not all that eye-catching as a primary logo, but it works wonderfully as a secondary. As for Johnny...I just don't see why he needs to be on a jersey. It's an awkward logo for that application; it's a rather wide logo, and not in the flattering way like Detroit or Minnesota, where it's easy to make it work. Even the pictures I've seen of Johnny on the WHL Canucks jerseys look awkward;

spacer.png

On 9/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, Ark said:

I'll post this every time someone says diagonal name jerseys are bad

DWGQeb3UQAAczue.jpg

To help reinforce their point?

The NHL Draft hats just released...pretty much the 2017 hats but with the jersey stripes on the front instead of the sides...Ducks, Senators, Panthers not shown for any style.

https://www.fanatics.com/hats-flex/d-31110042-42339796+z-945-2034900309?query=2020 nhl draft hat&_ref=p-SRP:m-SD

Boston Bruins Fanatics Branded 2020 NHL Draft Authentic Pro On-Stage Flex Hat - Black/Gold

No white stripes for the Sabres:

Buffalo Sabres Fanatics Branded 2020 NHL Draft Authentic Pro On-Stage Flex Hat - Royal/Gold

Coyotes still using the howling dog logo:

Arizona Coyotes Fanatics Branded 2020 NHL Draft Authentic Pro On-Stage Flex Hat - Garnet/Black

Pretty good...solid B grade. It's kind of annoying that the 2017-20 NHL draft hats have used elements from the adidas jerseys every year (whether it be stripes or the shoulder dot pattern). 

Also in the "2020 Draft Collection"...it looks like there will be a an adjustable trucker hat:

(Found this Flames hat on Canadian NHL Shop):

Men's Calgary Flames Fanatics Branded Red/Yellow 2020 NHL Draft - Authentic Pro Adjustable Trucker Hat

A high-profile adjustable hat (with a slight nod to jersey striping on the brim):

Colorado Avalanche Fanatics Branded 2020 NHL Draft Authentic Pro Snapback Adjustable Hat - Burgundy/Blue

And winter knit hats:

St. Louis Blues Fanatics Branded 2020 NHL Draft Authentic Pro Cuffed Pom Knit Hat - Royal/Gold

I like some of those draft hats.  Particularly Montreal.

And I love, love, love what Calgary did.  Red and yellow don't need black trim.  These look great.  I like the 1980s style yoke better, but this is where we are for those...Both jerseys are terrific, particularly the white (I always really loved that stripe pattern and I'm glad they brought it back). A+.

Can't believe they still can't use the right colors on Leafs and Habs merchandise... The Habs logo always sticks out like a sore thumb next to the navy they're always using...

ff_3738201-576238a02c1e1e236117alt1_full

ff_3738203-f3eed5725c77168248c9alt1_full

8 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Are we talking about the Canucks again?

It's the monthly tradition here it seems

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

At least the Orca, for whatever flaws it may have, has stuck, which is something the Canucks have had a ridiculously hard time getting something to do. The last thing they need to do is another brand change.

The Stick-in-Rink is where it should be in the modern NHL; it's just not all that eye-catching as a primary logo, but it works wonderfully as a secondary. As for Johnny...I just don't see why he needs to be on a jersey. It's an awkward logo for that application; it's a rather wide logo, and not in the flattering way like Detroit or Minnesota, where it's easy to make it work. Even the pictures I've seen of Johnny on the WHL Canucks jerseys look awkward;

spacer.png

The Orca is to the Canucks like what the black was to the Flames. Both have overstayed their welcome. Also, the Canucks are not a modern NHL franchise. There are good reasons why the black Skate outsold Orca sweaters by a huge margin. 

The only thing the Canucks have going for them is the blue, green and white colour scheme. They are Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise and the original '70 Stick in Rink makes a lot of sense. A recoloured Skate would also work. As for Johnny Canuck, it can be incorporated into a roundel, a V or even the current C without the Orca. The Johnny Canuck C concept designed by North Vancouver's Glen Green can also work. Having a Canucks identity that represents the team name, heritage and history while keeping the blue and green would go a very, very long way with this franchise.

At least, teams like the Flames and Sabres went back to their true identities.

66011376_2ba815c457.jpg.cf.jpg.9fbada642571b20679fed60215b2093f.jpgJohnnyC_flag.jpg_cf.jpg.ab10f49e052bd52e1273a3208aa10d80.jpgVLLkXHd.png_cf.png.60b91fbfddc36d6f73b93e640a22d720.png

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Stick-in-Rink is where it should be in the modern NHL; it's just not all that eye-catching as a primary logo, but it works wonderfully as a secondary.

Pretty much that.

The Flames going full retro is an upgrade over their current set, but I still think the pre-edge jerseys were the best the Flames ever looked.

13 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Are we talking about the Canucks again?

Yep. Apparently the horse and Johnny Canuck are both not dead enough yet, we must keep flogging them mercilessly.

2 hours ago, M4One said:

The Flames going full retro is an upgrade over their current set, but I still think the pre-edge jerseys were the best the Flames ever looked.

This.  Maybe they could retire the Black C for a while to get the bad taste of the flag-set out of everyone's mouth before bringing back the red, pre-edge as alternate in a few years.

I said it on Twitter last night, but if the Flames roll with the throwbacks full time and use the 04 jerseys as an alternate, they might not need to change ever again

4 hours ago, M4One said:

The pre-edge jerseys had great striping. But so did their short-lived alternate that they used to have. The collar and the western shirt cut of the shoulder yokes were magnificent, striping was an upgrade over the edge jerseys, and they finally had a better secondary logo. I can't comprehend how someone felt like retiring that beautiful roundel so early but kept those inferior edge jerseys for over a decade.

Replace the script with a black C, this could have worked too...

66X8x_NchrfTf_bIMrX_cnzUEhg1Ga8iAQEfUD0e

Why do people love Johnny Canuck. It is a such a trash, cartoonney logo. Honestly it look like something a ECHL team would use

1 minute ago, squamfan said:

Why do people love Johnny Canuck. It is a such a trash, cartoonney logo. Honestly it look like something a ECHL team would use

Because literalism; the team's named the Canucks, therefore their logo must be Johnny.

It's not like we have logos like the Bruins which have nothing to do with brown, the Oilers where the only oil-like thing is the drop, the Blue Jackets whose logo has no semblance of an actual Blue Jacket...

disgusted steve carell GIF