2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

11 hours ago, VikWings said:

I think the Wild are in the same boat as the Wings and Rangers with the testing. They were supposed to have black jerseys I think.

If the Wild went with a black alternate, they would possibly have an unintentional Dallas Stars fauxback. Throw in red with the black and green and you would maybe a Mooterus fauxback. Either way, probably not a good idea.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, M4One said:

I really want to see them now.  If they failed testing, it makes you wonder how bad they could be if Tampa's third got the thumbs up.

I bet they probably weren’t as bad but the Rangers and Red Wings, 2 very traditional teams, just have higher standards. 

XM4KeeA.png

26 minutes ago, insert name said:

I bet they probably weren’t as bad but the Rangers and Red Wings, 2 very traditional teams, just have higher standards. 

If the Rangers' third was the Lady Liberty jersey, like people suspected it was going to be, they may not have been satisfied with how it was looking on the default Adidas collar template. Perhaps they'll be more satisfied with how it looks if they can use the collar template from Dallas' WC jersey.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

If the Rangers' third was the Lady Liberty jersey, like people suspected it was going to be, they may not have been satisfied with how it was looking on the default Adidas collar template. Perhaps they'll be more satisfied with how it looks if they can use the collar template from Dallas' WC jersey.

That's my one nitpick with the adidas jerseys is the collar treatment.  I have two of the adidas jerseys and I do like how they feel heavier over the Reebok jerseys and don't feel as cheaply made.  

If they could find a way to make the silver, white, and red blend in without forcing the nhl logo part on the collar, it could work.

Rangers33.png

I did find a couple of cool concepts but not fond of the collar treatments

uaDFHcf.jpghj3h0M8.jpg

Those could work if the collar is altered a bit

On 1/8/2020 at 2:20 PM, WSU151 said:

What are the restrictions between team approval and AndyHarry's presentation of "Unused hockey jerseys"? If they don't unveil them at all, are there time or NDA restrictions?

There’s been an unspoken moratorium on posting that type of stuff for several years now. Unused work can derail the conversation and undermine all the work the league and teams do both in the design process and in the lead up to the unveiling. They deserve the opportunity to unveil on their own terms, and we all respect that.

We also never know when something might pop up again, so we have to be wary burning the confidentiality by posting it online if it might be relevant for a future project. For those reasons, I have a personal 5-year minimum for posting unused work (by which time I usually don’t like it very much anymore 🙂) and I’ll only post work that has been seen and confidently deemed “off the table” by the team or league.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, DuckFly2gether said:

I was going to mention that, carolina is suffering from the same problem but not as bad, since 2013. Not sure why they couldnt just make matching jerseys like these i'll never understand.

spacer.png

I just love what the Wild have. It's such a unique, modern, yet traditional design all round. 

Is it just me or could the one off-use of yellow for the moon/sun be beige instead? I don't see the point in needing to use yellow when they have a yellowish white that they seem to love and would assist in streamlining their colour scheme just a bit.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

40 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I just love what the Wild have. It's such a unique, modern, yet traditional design all round. 

Is it just me or could the one off-use of yellow for the moon/sun be beige instead? I don't see the point in needing to use yellow when they have a yellowish white that they seem to love and would assist in streamlining their colour scheme just a bit.

I find it unnecessarily inconsistent, but that aside, dropping the gold they use would be a mistake. I loved the way it looked especially on the gloves from 2000-07 with the red and green, gives a very earthy, wild feel. Wish they would use it more actually.

spacer.png

Edit: Also, from what i read on this site it is indeed a sun not a moon in the forrest scenery, so I guess it wouldn't look really good having a beige sun.

https://sportslogohistory.com/minnesota-wild-primary-logo

10 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

I find it unnecessarily inconsistent, but that aside, dropping the gold they use would be a mistake. I loved the way it looked especially on the gloves from 2000-07 with the red and green, gives a very earthy, wild feel. Wish they would use it more actually.

spacer.png

Edit: Also, from what i read on this site it is indeed a sun not a moon in the forrest scenery, so I guess it wouldn't look really good having a beige sun.

https://sportslogohistory.com/minnesota-wild-primary-logo

I don't think the north star would be visible if the sun was out. Thats the moon during dusk. 

4 hours ago, dannykraft said:

I don't think the north star would be visible if the sun was out. Thats the moon during dusk. 

That does make sense. Maybe the moon should be wheat or white, and the star should be harvest gold. Actually now that i realize there is yet another inconsistency in the wild identity, on their shoulder patch the stars in the roundel are harvest gold, but the star in the bear face is white. They should fix that up. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, dannykraft said:

I don't think the north star streaks in front of the moon though. Maybe we're reading too much into the scene.

38 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

That does make sense. Maybe the moon should be wheat or white, and the star should be harvest gold. Actually now that i realize there is yet another inconsistency in the wild identity, on their shoulder patch the stars in the roundel are harvest gold, but the star in the bear face is white. They should fix that up. 

spacer.png

It looks fine as is. The stars in the roundel don't need to be white, and the star in the bear face doesn't need to be "harvest gold". 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I don't think the north star streaks in front of the moon though. Maybe we're reading too much into the scene.

It looks fine as is. The stars in the roundel don't need to be white, and the star in the bear face doesn't need to be "harvest gold". 

whats the point of them being different colors? it doesn't look fine, it's visually inconsistent for no reason, just like their numbers. 

19 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

whats the point of them being different colors? it doesn't look fine, it's visually inconsistent for no reason, just like their numbers. 

Artistic license and color balance in different parts of the logo. The roundel is separate from the bear head.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Sometimes visual inconsistency just...looks better then a consistent palette. Hoping this doesn't cause another Canuckjack; but try to figure out how you can put green into the Canucks' logo without it looking forced or weird.

You can't do the orca up as green, because...well, orcas aren't green. It'd look silly to have a green orca as your primary logo. The water can't be green, either, because outside of algae blooms, who thinks of water as green?

That'd also potentially cause it to look less like an orca breaching through water and more like an orca bursting out from the grass, and I don't know of any orcas roaming the underground of British Columbia. That, or it'd look like an orca breaching through a pool of radioactive waste, which really isn't any better. 😛 

Literally the only way you could potentially put green into the Canucks' logo is as an outline, but then it you run into both blue touching green, which the Canucks have historically not been very big on doing, and potential muddling of the logo. The logo just being blue/white/silver/black looks perfectly fine; you don't need to force green into the logo just because green is a secondary team color. Vancouver is blue first and green second; so blue is much more crucial to have then green in the logo.

As an inverse example; does Chicago need to have green, yellow, blue, orange and a dark tan on their jersey just because the logo has those colors? That's a similar visual inconsistency, since the logo doesn't match the jersey in color scheme.

43 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Sometimes visual inconsistency just...looks better then a consistent palette. Hoping this doesn't cause another Canuckjack; but try to figure out how you can put green into the Canucks' logo without it looking forced or weird.

You can't do the orca up as green, because...well, orcas aren't green. It'd look silly to have a green orca as your primary logo. The water can't be green, either, because outside of algae blooms, who thinks of water as green?

That'd also potentially cause it to look less like an orca breaching through water and more like an orca bursting out from the grass, and I don't know of any orcas roaming the underground of British Columbia. That, or it'd look like an orca breaching through a pool of radioactive waste, which really isn't any better. 😛 

Literally the only way you could potentially put green into the Canucks' logo is as an outline, but then it you run into both blue touching green, which the Canucks have historically not been very big on doing, and potential muddling of the logo. The logo just being blue/white/silver/black looks perfectly fine; you don't need to force green into the logo just because green is a secondary team color. Vancouver is blue first and green second; so blue is much more crucial to have then green in the logo.

As an inverse example; does Chicago need to have green, yellow, blue, orange and a dark tan on their jersey just because the logo has those colors? That's a similar visual inconsistency, since the logo doesn't match the jersey in color scheme.

None of that has to do with what im talking about. I agree, the canucks orca in green would look terrible and the blackhawks dont need every color in their logo to be on their jersey stripes, but imagine having another orca on the jersey maybe as a shoulder patch or something and it does have green while the one on the front doesnt, or the eye is green on one but not the other. having the same design element, in this case the shooting star, be the same color when its on the same base color (green) in both situations just makes sense. absolutely zero reason as to why they are a different color. 

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

It could be the thinking that having the gold stars in the roundel is adding some more colour/pop to the logo. The one just above me with the white stars in the roundel looks a bit more bland.

Agreed, but why not just make the star in the bear face logo gold as well, and make the moon white or wheat? Like in the first set i have. 

Archived