2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's just an photomanip of this image of a Reebok Tampa jersey.

Well, I guess technically it is a recoloured Tampa jersey, but the design is different enough that I obviously never thought, hey that's just Tampa's jersey recoloured.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ter7ez865egocsy6cv5d17htn.gif

I will always love this logo. It's lightning. It cuts through Tampa Bay. It has the full complement of team colors. You could argue that it's a little fashy, but no more than what they have now. Maybe it signifies that The Flash retired to The Villages.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I will always love this logo. It's lightning. It cuts through Tampa Bay. It has the full complement of team colors. You could argue that it's a little fashy, but no more than what they have now. Maybe it signifies that The Flash retired to The Villages.

That is a great logo. However, the blue should be changed to a powdery electric blue. That shade of royal blue has no contrast with the black.

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Has the same feel as the Sabres logo in that the logo is pretty descriptive of the full team name. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

And, more abstractly, the Pittsburgh (golden triangle) Penguins. Always a favorite of mine. 

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

That is a great logo. However, the blue should be changed to a powdery electric blue. That shade of royal blue has no contrast with the black.

Yes, absolutely. You could probably get away with the same pantone color the Detroit Lions use. 

I don't really like it as a logo. The lightning bolt shape to me just feels very slapdash and unrefined. A bit like how I feel about the Ducks logo. Someone sketched out a few ducks feet or lightning bolts and they went "yeah ok, lets clean it up and go with that". The Florida shape in the background completely muddies it up as well. Normally I'm okay with blue and black not contrasting all that well because I do like those two colours together, but here it just bogs it down unnecessarily. I don't like the top of the lighttight bolt either, it just sort of stops. At least the new one is more of a well-perfected shape. The blue shadow on the bolt also it weird and arbitrary. I just don't quite get it as a logo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

And, more abstractly, the Pittsburgh (golden triangle) Penguins. Always a favorite of mine. 

Yes, absolutely. You could probably get away with the same pantone color the Detroit Lions use. 

The NBA Orlando Magic use a similar blue that the Lightning could use. Furthermore, it's a blue that can be used as an alternate. If the blue and black were inverted from the original blacks, considering a lighter blue, the Lightning would've had an amazing alternate. 

Something like this would be my ideal, color-wise, for Tampa;

spacer.png

Keeps them distinct from the other blue teams to have a shade to themselves, and making black prominent again only helps. And for a team named the Lightning, I'm a little surprised they've never tried an electric blue before.

They did try, they darkened their shade of blue significantly from RGB 0-61-165 to 0-32-91 (source: https://www.trucolor.net/portfolio/national-hockey-league-franchise-colors-1917-1918-through-present/). I think they got it right the first time, they can be excused for doing a dark-n-fade when the organization was stupid and everyone else was doing it, but they should have used the 2011 revamp to go back.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:35 PM, the admiral said:

But some colors more than others. Purple is slippery; the Vikings look downright blue at times.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:43 PM, nash61 said:

Front and back of the same jersey from the same listing on Game Worn Auctions

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1999_00_Jason_Blake_Los_Angeles_Kings_Game_Worn_Jersey_Rookie_Team_Letter-11816-259.html

85548564f86b2f0a.jpg

43136.jpg

Believe me. I get it, but it’s not a branding issue. People just need to take better care with color correction. Otherwise, what’s the solution? Not using purple or gold in branding? Obviously, that’s not realistic. You just do your best to make sure you get it right on the back end.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 10/9/2020 at 10:25 PM, the admiral said:

You could probably get away with the same pantone color the Detroit Lions use. 

On 10/9/2020 at 11:34 PM, the admiral said:

They did try, they darkened their shade of blue significantly from RGB 0-61-165 to 0-32-91 (source: https://www.trucolor.net/portfolio/national-hockey-league-franchise-colors-1917-1918-through-present/).

Interestingly enough, the Lightning's original Hawaiian Blue was the same color as the Honolulu Blue used by the Detroit Lions from 1980 through 1996.

OJa7kKv.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I had a feeling they used the Lions' blue once. What I didn't know is that "the Lions' blue" has been pretty slippery over the years, getting lighter, then darker, then lighter again, but not quite as light. 

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

Interestingly enough, the Lightning's original Hawaiian Blue was the same color as the Honolulu Blue used by the Detroit Lions from 1980 through 1996.

OJa7kKv.png

I've always felt the non-bolt elements of the logo needed more black, and with the Honolulu blue, that's even more apparent. Here are two options with varying degrees of incorporating black:

X4a1XK2.png

lspOLLa.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Bill Foley wants Marc-Andre Fleury to stay with Golden Knights

Foley also expressed his elation with the Knights’ new gold jersey that was unveiled Oct. 2. He said the gray home jerseys are “a little reserved” and the gold will drown out the team colors worn by opposing fans.

“I wouldn’t mind the gray jersey eventually matriculating to be the third jersey and the gold jersey being our home jersey,” he said. “It’s really a good-looking jersey.”

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

5 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well they are the Golden Knights and not the Grey Knights.

Then should the Blackhawks have a black home jersey? 😜 

Sometimes aesthetics should take precedence over name. I feel this is one of those times; Vegas' current home is really friggin' beautiful, and it'd be a shame to have it relegated to an alternate for a gaudy, sparkly gold mess. Sure, it's Vegas...but at the same time, you don't see the Panthers using teal or going Vice colors full-time because they play in the Miami metro.

34 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well they are the Golden Knights and not the Grey Knights.

31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Then should the Blackhawks have a black home jersey? 😜 

Sometimes aesthetics should take precedence over name. I feel this is one of those times; Vegas' current home is really friggin' beautiful, and it'd be a shame to have it relegated to an alternate for a gaudy, sparkly gold mess. Sure, it's Vegas...but at the same time, you don't see the Panthers using teal or going Vice colors full-time because they play in the Miami metro.

Most of the Golden Gophers sports team don't predominantly wear gold, though in recent years, second home game of the weekend for men's hockey ends up being gold jerseys, so they're up to 50% at home (25% overall).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

46 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Most of the Golden Gophers sports team don't predominantly wear gold, though in recent years, second home game of the weekend for men's hockey ends up being gold jerseys, so they're up to 50% at home (25% overall).

Well didn’t they get the nickname “Golden Gopher” from the all yellow football uniforms they had back in the 50’s? I mean traditionally you hear of them as the Maroon and Gold, so it makes sense that maroon is the main color.  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived