2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Yes, they sparkle.

Yes, they are the same gold color as the stripes on the H&A.

Yes, they're unapologetically Las Vegas.

Here's a high res pic that illustrates the sparkle and color:  https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyjerseys/comments/ja6d8c/in_true_reddit_fashion_10_days_after_calling_this/

copy/paste:   https://i.redd.it/83u31fysfss51.jpg

I've seen some images that make it seem like they may not which is why I stated that.  Hopefully with that much gold they give that look off.  In that aspect, I think they'll fit as a unique curiosity within a team who can probably pull it off with their identity.

It wont be my favorite.  But as a 3rd...I think it'll fall into the "fine" category.  As a primary?  Hell no.

10 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe it's because so much gold next to gray is offputting for some reason, but I read that color more as mustard than gold. There's a distinctly '60s vibe to it, as if someone took the effort to bedazzle Captain Kirk's uniform. 

New Page 2 | Star trek costume, Star trek tv, Star trek images

zzPEfBm.png

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think there was a point where he looked into just plain Knights and the London Knights said something.

London said they were never asked.

Somewhere along the line, someone (maybe Foley himself?) said "London owns the rights to 'Knights' in Canada" and suddenly a bunch of people took that to mean Vegas had tried to go with "Knights" and London had blocked them.  It didn't happen that way.  Foley wanted "Black Knights" and then immediately shifted to "<something> Knights" when the Army wouldn't play along.

5 hours ago, McCall said:

No, he wanted to name them the "BLACK Knights" in honor of Army as he graduated from West Point. He literally named his businesses "Black Knight___" (Financial, Sports & Entertainment, etc.) Due to trademarks, he couldn't use Black Knights and so he settled on "Golden Knights", though not without further copyright issues. He never intended on only naming them "Knights". That would've probably been the least contested route.

Honestly, that makes my point stronger.

The gold was never the central focus of the brand so it makes sense there's not an emphasis on gold.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I'm wondering, and just wondering because I don't have the photoshop abilities to actually do this, would this Vegas alternate look better if they based it off the home jerseys and not the road?

So it would still be gold, but the hem and upper sleeve would be black and then the secondary sleeve stripe and hem trim would be the grey.

IbjBaeE.png

57 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

spacer.png

They only good thing about that jersey is that they picked the right collar

And the logo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Golden Knights social media emphasized a lot that their name is the GOLD-en Knights, to explain the choice of having a gold jersey, especially in response to complaints from fans. This jersey doesn't work that great in gold with that template. But still, I can't help but think they might just go with a Gold primary jersey full-time, when a rebrand is possible.

The NHL team is Golden Knights, their new junior team is Silver Knights. Something tells me they're going to rebrand and have the primary jersey colors match the name. As of right now, the Golden Knights wear grey and the Silver Knights are TBD, but it's clear they'll either be grey too or black.

The Preds made a primary yellow jersey work. It's not out of the realm of possibility, imo.

14 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The Golden Knights social media emphasized a lot that their name is the GOLD-en Knights, to explain the choice of having a gold jersey, especially in response to complaints from fans. This jersey doesn't work that great in gold with that template. But still, I can't help but think they might just go with a Gold primary jersey full-time, when a rebrand is possible.

The NHL team is Golden Knights, their new junior team is Silver Knights. Something tells me they're going to rebrand and have the primary jersey colors match the name. As of right now, the Golden Knights wear grey and the Silver Knights are TBD, but it's clear they'll either be grey too or black.

The Preds made a primary yellow jersey work. It's not out of the realm of possibility, imo.

While having a gold primary makes sense for a team called the Golden Knights, wasn't the choice of the colours based off the West Point uniforms?  I would think that as long as Foley is majority owner, he would want the uniforms to stay as they are with the grey as the primary colour, unless the gold alternates really take off in popularity.

The Predators do make it work, but there's something off pointing about the entire jersey being sparkling.

15 minutes ago, M4One said:

While having a gold primary makes sense for a team called the Golden Knights, wasn't the choice of the colours based off the West Point uniforms?  I would think that as long as Foley is majority owner, he would want the uniforms to stay as they are with the grey as the primary colour, unless the gold alternates really take off in popularity.

I'm not sure about West Point. I've never heard of them before. New alternates usually sell a lot at the beginning no matter what. Sometimes, the trend fades out. Maybe, it depends on the promotion they do. IMO, a new gold jersey for the Golden Knights team in Vegas is going to sell like crazy. But I'm just guessing.

26 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Eeeeeeeeh....debatable.

Their current yellow home has (sorta) been around for 9 years, with seemingly no plans to change em' anytime soon. The Preds have been embracing the gold since 2001 because before that they had that gold alternate with that unique material. Back then, the first gold alt lasted 6 years. A couple of years went by after they retired it, fans wanted gold back, it wasn't that long before gold made it's return.

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The Preds have been embracing the gold since 2001 because before that they had that gold alternate with that unique material.

That was hardly "gold", though; it was a mustard yellow. I think it needs a blue yoke of some kind, though.

15 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Their current yellow home has (sorta) been around for 9 years, with seemingly no plans to change em' anytime soon.

Good Lord, it's been (almost) 9 years?!? It seems like they've only switched like 3 years ago.

And I still don't like Vegas alternate jersey.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

20 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

That was hardly "gold", though; it was a mustard yellow.

They used some kind of double layered fabric, some sort of thin, see-through gold material over navy made it look mustard.

It was something they tried out in the 2000s. A product of that era. New ones are better.

19 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

Good Lord, it's been (almost) 9 years?!?

9 and ½.

4 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Good Lord, it's been (almost) 9 years?!? It seems like they've only switched like 3 years ago.

Yeah that's a bit nuts. Feels like maybe 6 years at most, not just under 10.

I don't like the yellow. It's too much.

Vegas can try gold. I don't think it will look as good as grey with gold accents (including the logo) but hey, we'll see. It's Vegas so it's a different rule book.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived