2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

1 minute ago, spartacat_12 said:

Funny enough, they were trying to get the league to allow four jerseys at the time, 2 with the script & 2 with the robo penguin. The league denied, so they compromised by using one of each.

I'd argue they should've gone with the Robopen for H/A and the dark Pittsburgh for the alt; but then again, this is the early-mid 90's Penguins I'd be talking about...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd argue they should've gone with the Robopen for H/A and the dark Pittsburgh for the alt; but then again, this is the early-mid 90's Penguins I'd be talking about...

Well that change was a few years before the league introduced the third jersey program. They eventually did have 2 robopen jerseys, albeit one with a gradient & asymmetrical sleeve striping. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Confirms the long-rumored 4th jersey program; I wonder if we'll see a lot more revised throwback/fauxback looks. 

Pretty good look as an alternate for the Penguins...the captain's C looks weirdly skinny. 

This program existed in the 90's. The Ducks were the only one's to ever employ it.

Here is hoping we see the white Lady Liberty jersey from the Rangers again

35 minutes ago, kw11333 said:

I'd sooner expect the dark Liberty as their third and an inverted version of either the shield jersey or a white version of the late 70's-80's jersey with New York on the front as their fourth. We already know they wanted a third last season but something happened that made them push it back, and the Liberty jersey is far and away the most popular third request the Rangers have ever had since it's retirement.

42 minutes ago, kw11333 said:

This program existed in the 90's. The Ducks were the only one's to ever employ it.

You're correct that it existed in the 90s, but it hasn't happened under adidas until 20-21. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, rorinator said:

PGjbIy2.jpg

The Penguins are throwing it back to the Gin N Juice days with this leaked FOURTH jersey design. Thoughts?

spacer.png

Similar to when the Rangers adopted the new template and the lettering was narrowed to fit, the lettering on this has been narrowed and truncated to fit.

As such, it looks way worse. There was significantly more real estate to work with back in the CCM days and a lengthy word such as "Pittsburgh" had room to breathe. The lettering fit the space nicely.

The new version looks like a cheap knockoff, sadly.

patriotssignature.png

42 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

spacer.png

Similar to when the Rangers adopted the new template and the lettering was narrowed to fit, the lettering on this has been narrowed and truncated to fit.

As such, it looks way worse. There was significantly more real estate to work with back in the CCM days and a lengthy word such as "Pittsburgh" had room to breathe. The lettering fit the space nicely.

The new version looks like a cheap knockoff, sadly.

The opposite side of that argument is it looked kind of silly when the P was placed right next to the shoulder patch, and the H often disappeared when worn. 

FRANCOIS LEROUX AUTO SIGNED 8 x 10 PHOTO PITTSBURGH PENGUINS RARE #1 PHOTO  | eBay

Could the new mark be stretched out a bit? Sure...but note it's just a Fanatics replica so the actual jersey might look a bit better. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

Love the striping of that Penguins sweater.  Wish they used the Robo Penguin instead though.  Maybe its just me but I really like the robo penguin.

The Robo Penguin was actually a nice crest. It had thin streaking lines like the Flyers' Flying P. It's just that the Skating Penguin was around from the beginning, had/has character and was the primary crest of the back-to-back Cup championships during the Lemieux-Jagr era.

23 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Love the striping of that Penguins sweater.  

Agreed.  Unlike the current jerseys the striping here is consistent and pushes gold as a tertiary/accent color, which I prefer for the Penguins.  The current Pens uniforms are way too gold heavy for my tastes.

Don't like the triangle-less shoulder logos though.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Nothing terribly insightful to add here except to say that as a Pens fan, I love it. I think the sans-triangle penguin looks great on the shoulder, and I really love the idea of a second white jersey. I like the robopen, too, but I think it should stay in the past - I'm not a fan of the idea of having two similar-but-not-the-same looking logos in the same set.

24 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

We go from one Penn team to their blood rival!

spacer.png

This just leaked out, and it's gorgeous.

4 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

The white cuffs look out of place and with black pants, the color balance is way off.

I've seen this concept so many times, but this real life version just seemed off when I first saw it. Looking at it again, it really is the cuffs that make it strange. Maybe if there was a white stripe on the hem too, but that would defeat the purpose of the retro recolors.

1 minute ago, Gobbi said:

So what's the deal with this fourth jersey program? Will every team have four jerseys? Or does this just allow teams who currently have an alternate to add another one?

To quote from the Icethetics article on the leaked pair;

My understanding of these Reverse Retro jerseys is that each team will have one and they will be worn only once or twice per season—and likely between certain rivals. In other words, these Flyers and Penguins jerseys were designed to contrast so they could be worn opposing each other in the same game.

My take on this is that it’s a way for the NHL to capitalize on the popularity of the specialty jerseys used for outdoor games without having to stage outdoor games for every team. And it’s not a bad plan when you consider most of the same teams are selected for those games every year.

It also does introduced a whole new category of specialty designs. The Winter and Heritage Classics usually call for really old throwbacks while the Stadium Series aims for futuristic designs. It leaves us kids of the ’80s and ’90s getting yanked around. Now it’s our time!

I’ve seen a few other designs from this Reverse Retro series and they’re really interesting. And I will say not every team has a jersey from its own history. Some haven’t been around long enough to have a history. But that doesn’t mean they didn’t find inspiration for one of these jerseys.

When we will actually see them on the ice remains an open question. I mean the 2020-21 season itself is an open question. The NHL has officially delayed the start of the season to at least January—though now February seems more plausible given recent reports.

But even if they do a shortened 2021 season, I’d still expect to see these new jerseys on the ice. It just comes down to whether Adidas is able to manufacture them in time. I know there have been some pandemic-related supply chain issues. That said, it does seem like the fan-focused Breakaway products are coming off the line in good shape.

2 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

So what's the deal with this fourth jersey program? Will every team have four jerseys? Or does this just allow teams who currently have an alternate to add another one?

Icethetics said every time is likely to have a reverse retro jersey that will wear once or twice against a specific rival.

Judging by the two samples, a good chunk these reverse retro jerseys will be based on jerseys from the 90's. Makes sense, as 90's retro styles are in big demand right now

Archived