2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that it has the traditional striping pattern, but it’s a little disappointing that it’s just the home jersey color swapped. I feel like there could have been a little more done there. As nice as the colors and logo is, it seems a little too plain for being this big “neon” look. It honestly could have pushed the boundaries a little more than it does.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I like that it has the traditional striping pattern, but it’s a little disappointing that it’s just the home jersey color swapped. I feel like there could have been a little more done there. As nice as the colors and logo is, it seems a little too plain for being this big “neon” look. It honestly could have pushed the boundaries a little more than it does.

See, that's what I like about it. It follows the same template which ties it into the rest of the brand even though the colours are a bit "out there". I like that they showed some restraint while trying something new. In my eyes it's much better to go this route than a grab-bag of gimmicks all in one uniform like we've seen in the NFL with the Rams redesign and Bucs previous uniforms.

40 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Maybe if I hadn't seen so many black ice jerseys before this I'd feel different. But I'm really not a fan. It just looks like a gimmicky fashion jersey to me.

Exactly. They have also already tweeted out the phrase "back in black" .... im just bored with this stealthy black stuff. Their team name is the Stars. There are so many creative thing you can do with that. Yet, they decided to make the billionth "blackout" set and slap an outline of texas on it. 

18 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Exactly. They have also already tweeted out the phrase "back in black" .... im just bored with this stealthy black stuff. Their team name is the Stars. There are so many creative thing you can do with that. Yet, they decided to make the billionth "blackout" set and slap an outline of texas on it. 

Would you rather some kitschy space-themed design, though? This may not be innovative, but it's at least decent. I'd take this over another Mooterus-level disaster a hundred times over.

Black jerseys always sell, you can't blame them for doing a black jersey in a time like this. Besides, we have the Reverse Retro coming anyways, which will probably be more traditional. It's a design that's taking inspiration from the skyline of Dallas, which means it's definitely a nod to the Bank of America Plaza.

59 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

So they can't have an alternate jersey that pays tribute to Dallas? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Literally the only concern i have is are the black numbers going to be readable? 

I like when teams keep their colors across their uniforms so the neon im not a fan of *for dallas*

However the uniform itself, i quite like it actually. Feels modern yet not gaudy

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

3 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Literally the only concern i have is are the black numbers going to be readable? 

The thick, bright neon green outlines should help. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

Blackout makes perfect sense for a team named the Stars. A night sky consists of stars, the moon, and the rest is black.

9 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Blackout makes perfect sense for a team named the Stars. A night sky consists of stars, the moon, and the rest is black.

You can still do that using their normal colours. In fact I'd say thats more fitting of a night sky than these mountain dew can jerseys

Just now, Chromatic said:

You can still do that using their normal colours. In fact I'd say thats more fitting of a night sky than the mountain dew colour scheme.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the neon green either. My comment was more directed at the objection of the Stars having a "blackout" jersey. 

31 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

You can still do that using their normal colours. In fact I'd say thats more fitting of a night sky than these mountain dew can jerseys

Tried concepting that up, and it's...

spacer.png

Well, the victory green would blend a lot more with the black at a distance; they'd be a broadcaster's nightmare. I think that's exactly why they went for a much brighter shade of green; at a distance and blurred, like jerseys often are seen during broadcast, the actual green parts would look basically invisible and make the job of the commentators way harder than necessary. The Sharks' "stealth" jerseys suffer from that very issue; the teal doesn't show up well on broadcast because it's a dark shade on a dark shade.

The victory green seems too dark to work with the idea the team obviously wanted to go for; we may not like it, but the team does. It's obvious they wanted to incorporate the neon lights that the Bank of America Plaza is known for into the jersey in some form, which is clearly the reason for the skyline teaser; and neon green works better for legibility than dark green on black without a good amount of white for contrast.

Archived