2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

I liked the initial Dallas sweater more.

That's just the original Jets sweater with half-arm stripes and a different hem, though, and a holdover from the team's dying days in Minnesota. The star-cuts are distinctly Dallas, even if they're similar to an ASG jersey.

I've never been huge on the Stars' early 90's look. It's too bland. Black, dark green and white aren't a great color combo, because only two of those are readily visible on a dark base.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nordiks_19 said:

I think it's the fact that it was a unique look that was fitting for a team called the Stars

But it was objectively not a unique look. It was the All-Star jersey for three seasons before Dallas co-opted it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think Dallas’s best look is their current, alternate notwithstanding. The 90’s jerseys that were holdovers from Minnesota were drab, and they made them worse, by darkening the green. The star-cut seems like classic Dallas, and it did work for them, but they were definitely a rip off. The edge era sucked, especially because they decided to ditch their best color, green. The current look has new and better logos, as well as a better green. The pattern is slightly inspired by the North Stars and old time hockey, so it’s a great look. It just needs outlines on the numbers...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

But it was objectively not a unique look. It was the All-Star jersey for three seasons before Dallas co-opted it.

I mean, to be fair, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery in terms of design. Dallas co-opting that ASG template just means it was a damn good jersey already. 😜 

It's also probably the best retro jersey Dallas has that's not from Minnesota; and we all know the kerfuffle throwing back to former teams that were relocated brings up, which is why I'm expecting Dallas to just do the star jersey in black for their Reverse Retro instead of opening the North Stars can of worms or doing a green version of their early 90's kit.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, TheFallenHaveRisen said:

It doesn't look like a jersey you could've seen a man die in the 60's on the ice in, so this board will hate it, but that Dallas jersey is nice

Cool trope, but it was already disproven before you posted this. I'm just catching up on all this news, so I was waiting to get through the whole thread before responding.

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I'm sure if the team weren't called  the Stars, they wouldn't have "co-opted" it. However, they are called the Stars, and the fact that the Minnesota holdover jerseys were bland, Reebok did a nuke job on them with the college look, the 99 Stanley Cup winning set is by far the best set for the Stars. The set they have now is nice but the 4th grader who designed the Kings logo also designed he Stars new logo.

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, to be fair, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery in terms of design. Dallas co-opting that ASG template just means it was a damn good jersey already. 😜 

It's also probably the best retro jersey Dallas has that's not from Minnesota; and we all know the kerfuffle throwing back to former teams that were relocated brings up, which is why I'm expecting Dallas to just do the star jersey in black for their Reverse Retro instead of opening the North Stars can of worms or doing a green version of their early 90's kit.

Of course. I have no horse in the race because I’m not super attached to any of Dallas’ looks, but I’d pick the current as my favorite.

I'm just saying, if a team today adopted an All-Star design as their full-time set, they’d be shredded.

1 hour ago, joekono said:

The set they have now is nice but the 4th grader who designed the Kings logo also designed he Stars new logo.

My manager is a full-grown adult, not a fourth-grader (and he didn’t design the Kings’ logo, either), but good job keeping it classy. 👍

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

44 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Of course. I have no horse in the race because I’m not super attached to any of Dallas’ looks, but I’d pick the current as my favorite.

I'm just saying, if a team today adopted an All-Star design as their full-time set, they’d be shredded.

My manager is a full-grown adult, not a fourth-grader (and he didn’t design the Kings’ logo, either), but good job keeping it classy. 👍

I was gonna say, the Stars logo blows the Kings logo out of the water...

I thought that the “new” (it’s been a couple years) was a fantastic update to the brand, and made them uniquely Dallas. They no longer had a visual tie to the North Stars.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Stars should be black and have gold in their logo. Mean and classy. I love it.

Green Black and Silver is ok but it's not as memorable. I'm also probably the only person who doesn't love the green. Minnesota should be green, Dallas should be black with a little bit of green.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The All-Star jerseys only looked good compared to the monochromatic set the team had from 1995 to 1999 where you could barely decipher any green. 

What they have now (minus the new third) is the best they've looked since 1993/94. 

21 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Green Black and Silver is ok but it's not as memorable. I'm also probably the only person who doesn't love the green. Minnesota should be green, Dallas should be black with a little bit of green.

Torn on this one.  The black uniforms from 1993/94 are striking & represent the Dallas skyline so well.  But their current greens are arguably even better and that's without gold and copying the Blackhawks striping.  Testament to the strength the italicized star and the superiority of the new green.

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

Torn on this one.  The black uniforms from 1993/94 are striking & represent the Dallas skyline so well.  But their current greens are arguably even better and that's without gold and copying the Blackhawks striping.  Testament to the strength the italicized star and the superiority of the new green.

I personally think the 93/94 uniforms was the best Dallas have looked. They're simple and honest with a badass colour scheme. They remind me of the Ducks' when they won the cup. I know that's a bad comparison because most people criticize those jerseys, but I appreciated them for how no-nonsense they were and how mean in made the team look. I love a mean looking hockey jersey. 

I have an issue with this whole 'owning a colour' thing that teams seem to love to employ these days. It usually means that they end up using too much of the colour that they identify with and it becomes one big colour vs colour league where everyone is just owning a colour for the sake of being able to show that they're the X-colour team. There is no nuance left to making their jerseys evoke anything really interesting other than 'red makes me angry' or 'blue gives me confidence' or 'yellow makes me feel excited'. The Dallas green annoys me because it's just another one of these teams owning a colour without it actually reinforcing what made Dallas look good in the first place. It feels arbitrary to me. No other team was wearing a bright green colour so let's be the team that wears bright green. Boring.

However most everyone else seems to love it when a team goes all in for a colour because "yeah, green!" or whatever, but I miss those original Stars jerseys where it didn't look like they cared so much about looking great.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Probably nothing in the grand scheme of things, but still kind of interesting nonetheless (especially with the 25th anniversary jersey and this rumoured reverse retro), the 11 LA sports teams (well, and I hate to even come close to bringing up the board's "suburb" discussion again, the nine LA teams and the two Anaheim teams) came together to create The Alliance: Los Angeles. 

Following the recent protests nationwide, the 11 teams have united to address racial injustice, develop educational opportunities, and support other important issues facing communities of color, particularly Black communities. The 11 teams will advocate for social justice, address disparities and take actions to help end racial inequality. This commitment includes supporting the Play Equity Fund’s social justice movement in communities across greater Los Angeles, and in Orange County amplifying the work of Accelerate Change Together (ACT) Anaheim. These innovative cooperative response models of engagement are aimed to inspire similar actions nationally.

The Dodgers put out a video from The Alliance about voting where it flashed all the team's logos with a corresponding colour background, except for the Ducks who had a jade background.

dGvdCXh.png

Again, probably nothing in the grand scheme of things, but still kind of interesting nonetheless (especially with the 25th anniversary jersey and this rumoured reverse retro).

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, squamfan said:

Its a jersey that fan made, was seeing if people would fall for it.

Why would you wanna do that? 

Archived