squamfan

2020-2021 NHL Changes

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This offseason, some key teams have fixed their previously hideous looks - Buffalo, Calgary, and Ottawa. 

What teams does is everyone looking at that need the biggest changes?

Here are my top 5 in no particular order:

 

1. Washington Capitals - They need to fix this mess. They could really have some of the best looking jerseys in the league, but the items that have been brought over from the last jersey template including the piping need to go. I don't understand what is taking so long.

 

2. LA Kings - This is a team with some classic looks, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge any of them. I would LOVE the purple to return, but if they insist on black and silver, they need to overhaul this entire team. Terrible logo, boring color scheme. Sad for a team that hasn't always had these issues.

 

3. Anaheim Ducks - Going retro is probably the answer, but this home and away set is awful. They reinvented the wheel with this set when it didn't need to be done. 

 

4. Nashville Predators - I'm not even sure where to begin. I don't like any of it. Start over. If you want to use yellow still go for it. But balance it out. And the primary logo aged horribly.

 

5. Minnesota Wild - See Nashville above.

Wow that’s a hot take. I know I am biased, but I was under the impression that the Wild’s logo and jerseys were some of the best in the league.
 

What don’t you like about the Wild logo and jerseys? (Sure the name isn’t great, but that’s a different discussion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Wow that’s a hot take. I know I am biased, but I was under the impression that the Wild’s logo and jerseys were some of the best in the league.
 

What don’t you like about the Wild logo and jerseys? (Sure the name isn’t great, but that’s a different discussion)

 

It stems from the name honestly. I like the idea behind the logo, but there is something about the entire package that just seems to lack an identity to me. Minnesota and Nashville's logos feel like Jacksonville and Carolina in the NFL. Just a swooping head of an angry animal. Seems dated. But everything stems from the name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

2. LA Kings - This is a team with some classic looks, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge any of them. I would LOVE the purple to return, but if they insist on black and silver, they need to overhaul this entire team. Terrible logo, boring color scheme. Sad for a team that hasn't always had these issues.

 

The most classic look they have is black and silver (both Gretzky years and Cup-winning teams)...

 

Sounds like you're less concerned about a refusal of classic looks, and rather upset they don't use purple (which they never really won anything in). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

The most classic look they have is black and silver (both Gretzky years and Cup-winning teams)...

 

Sounds like you're less concerned about a refusal of classic looks, and rather upset they don't use purple (which they never really won anything in). 

 

100% agree on the Gretzky years and I would love seeing those back. I selfishly want the purple just for something different in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

The most classic look they have is black and silver (both Gretzky years and Cup-winning teams)...

 

Sounds like you're less concerned about a refusal of classic looks, and rather upset they don't use purple (which they never really won anything in). 

 

2 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

 

100% agree on the Gretzky years and I would love seeing those back. I selfishly want the purple just for something different in the league. 

The solution to this conundrum is obviously what the Kings are probably doing for their Reverse Retro; Gretzky-era jerseys in the purple and gold. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

 

It stems from the name honestly. I like the idea behind the logo, but there is something about the entire package that just seems to lack an identity to me. Minnesota and Nashville's logos feel like Jacksonville and Carolina in the NFL. Just a swooping head of an angry animal. Seems dated. But everything stems from the name. 

Well personally, I think it’s a little different from the other angry animal heads, because the element of being angry really isn’t there. It’s more of a double play on the idea of Wild, being a forest and a bear head. I mean Nashville, and then the Jags and Panthers are definitely the angry screaming head types... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bayne said:

 

It's not butchered, it just a modern re-working of it. If anything the original stick and rink is the butchered version, lets be honest.

 

You couldn't be more wrong, sorry. How is the original Stick in Rink butchered?? It's hockey stick looks precisely like an actual hockey stick, the stick isn't crooked and the overall crest can very easily be inverted. The current updated version can't be inverted to make it stand out the whites and it's stick looks very cartoony.

 

This is a proper update:

20170329_123918.thumb.jpg.3ae831c721a4e04815182723f04e35c9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just say "cartoony" is one of the most overused terms I've seen? Just because it's not rudimentarily-made and reflective of a bygone era doesn't make it "cartoony". I'd argue the modern logo works better, anyways, because of the improved line weights. The crook makes the intended C shape more obvious while adding a little more dynamism to it.

 

Hell, if we wanna go down that rabbit hole, Johnny is INFINITELY more "cartoony" than the modernized Stick-in-Rink. The dude was literally invented as a political cartoon, and the logos are just an angry lumberjack on skates. Let's not deride the "angry animal" trope with regards to stuff like the Orca, and simultaneously let the similarly-trite "angry dude" trope go on unscathed as if they're not basically the same darn thing, here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, squamfan said:

 

Canucks will probably end up doing a green jersey like this concept, will only with a green helmet

spacer.png

 

 

I fixed that Cancuks concept for y'all:

spacer.png

 

😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

 

I fixed that Cancuks concept for y'all:

spacer.png

 

😜

that logo belongs in the ECHL, worst logo they have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, guess this is the wrong thread for this. 

Edited by 1insaneguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, now we’re talking about the Canucks again for a thousand time?
Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Canucks....

 

Here We Go Reaction GIF by moodman

 

7 minutes ago, Eastport76 said:

So, now we’re talking about the Canucks again for a thousand time?
Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

@Eastport76 What, you don’t like when people post something that’s already been posted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This offseason, some key teams have fixed their previously hideous looks - Buffalo, Calgary, and Ottawa. 

What teams does is everyone looking at that need the biggest changes?

Here are my top 5 in no particular order:

 

1. Washington Capitals - They need to fix this mess. They could really have some of the best looking jerseys in the league, but the items that have been brought over from the last jersey template including the piping need to go. I don't understand what is taking so long.

 

2. LA Kings - This is a team with some classic looks, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge any of them. I would LOVE the purple to return, but if they insist on black and silver, they need to overhaul this entire team. Terrible logo, boring color scheme. Sad for a team that hasn't always had these issues.

 

3. Anaheim Ducks - Going retro is probably the answer, but this home and away set is awful. They reinvented the wheel with this set when it didn't need to be done. 

 

4. Nashville Predators - I'm not even sure where to begin. I don't like any of it. Start over. If you want to use yellow still go for it. But balance it out. And the primary logo aged horribly.

 

5. Minnesota Wild - See Nashville above.

 

The Kings have not embraced the purple and gold? Interesting. I swear I went to plenty of games and they wore the purple and gold.

The purple jerseys were worn on Legends Nights from 2010-2014 and the Yellow jerseys were worn on Legends Nights from 2014-2017.

 

spacer.png  spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pepis21 said:

@squamfan you're risking too much by saying that. 🤣

It's only a matter of time when this thread will be again jacked by Canucks.

VANjacked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oddball said:

 

The Kings have not embraced the purple and gold? Interesting. I swear I went to plenty of games and they wore the purple and gold.

The purple jerseys were worn on Legends Nights from 2010-2014 and the Yellow jerseys were worn on Legends Nights from 2014-2017.

 

spacer.png  spacer.png

 

I'm talking about with their home/away sets. Not once a year event jerseys. 

The photos you posted are gorgeous though

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Johnny is INFINITELY more "cartoony" than the modernized Stick-in-Rink. The dude was literally invented as a political cartoon, and the logos are just an angry lumberjack on skates.

 

Gloves are off now, you're talking about his true love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.