2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eastport76 said:

steve seriously GIF by Stranger Things 
Panthers, you can’t remember you already hosted the 2003 All Star? Thanks, NHL, now I’m sick of many cities hosted the AS again twice they hosted in previously years. 
Anaheim, Arizona, Vegas, New Jersey, Washington DC and of course, Winnipeg are only teams are never hosted a All Star. Come on, NHL please give these teams a chance to host the All Star.  Or give the teams already hosted the AS but yet hosted in a long time.

Toronto or Buffalo should’ve hosted the 2021 All Star instead of a small city which is very far from Miami.

New Jersey and Washington hosted in the 80's 

1 hour ago, ebod39 said:

New Jersey and Washington hosted in the 80's

And if we want to be technical, Anaheim is a suburb of LA, which has also already hosted the ASG.

As for the others...Phoenix was going to host the 2006 ASG, but that got nixed due to the Olympic break. And I think the NHL might wait until the Coyotes get a new arena closer to downtown Phoenix before they think about putting the ASG there.

Vegas is only like 2 years old, give them some time. I think the NHL touches Vegas as an ASG location in the future, it's too obvious a choice, but 2 years is really early.

And honestly, Winnipeg is always going to struggle as an ASG host because it's a city that all of Canada knows is notorious for being cold as hell in January; that's why it's nickname is "Winterpeg", after all. And with 30, soon to be 31, other locations that could host, Winnipeg isn't that high on the radar.

3 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Panthers, you can’t remember you already hosted the 2003 All Star?

It's going to be 18 years between games. I don't recall you saying anything when the Kings hosted in 2017 only 15 years after their previous hosting.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

18 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

well...yea. But still I'd like to see it in more of a hockey hotbed where the fans can get into it. Where it creates some actual buzz.

All Star games everywhere, in every sport, seem to be on collective life support

All Star Games/Weekends have been cash grabs ever since they were created. Because of nostalgia for their childhood ASGs people seem to think the integrity of the event has gone down when it's always been something that's mainly catered to kids & fans of the host team. If having it in Florida means guys like Ovi & Sid are willing to show up I'm all for it.

For years I've been saying that they need to ditch the Stadium Series and do the All Star Game outside. Might as well embrace the gimmicky elements of the weekend and try and make it as fun as possible for the players. Maybe host it in more intimate venues like MLS stadiums. Do the classic 'sticks in the middle' method of deciding the teams.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

And if we want to be technical, Anaheim is a suburb of LA, which has also already hosted the ASG.

As for the others...Phoenix was going to host the 2006 ASG, but that got nixed due to the Olympic break. And I think the NHL might wait until the Coyotes get a new arena closer to downtown Phoenix before they think about putting the ASG there.

Vegas is only like 2 years old, give them some time. I think the NHL touches Vegas as an ASG location in the future, it's too obvious a choice, but 2 years is really early.

And honestly, Winnipeg is always going to struggle as an ASG host because it's a city that all of Canada knows is notorious for being cold as hell in January; that's why it's nickname is "Winterpeg", after all. And with 30, soon to be 31, other locations that could host, Winnipeg isn't that high on the radar.

Let's get this straight for all the people who have never been to LA and Anaheim... they are not suburbs. Anaheim is not part of LA. End of story. If you want to use that rational, then Canada is just part of the Untied States. Just because two things are close to each other, does not make them the same.

Oh and your theory of because the Kings hosted an All-Star game, the Ducks can't or the NHL doesn't want to. Why? I'm pretty darn sure that the players and their families would love to go to Anaheim and Disneyland over any northern city in January. And oh yeah, if Tampa can host the All-Star game two years ago and Florida next year, then I'm pretty sure LA and Anaheim could host it too in a matter of a few years. 

The fact that the Ducks haven't hosted an All-Star game, is still mind-blowing to me.

20 minutes ago, oddball said:

Let's get this straight for all the people who have never been to LA and Anaheim... they are not suburbs. Anaheim is not part of LA. End of story. If you want to use that rational, then Canada is just part of the Untied States. Just because two things are close to each other, does not make them the same.

Oh and your theory of because the Kings hosted an All-Star game, the Ducks can't or the NHL doesn't want to. Why? I'm pretty darn sure that the players and their families would love to go to Anaheim and Disneyland over any northern city in January. And oh yeah, if Tampa can host the All-Star game two years ago and Florida next year, then I'm pretty sure LA and Anaheim could host it too in a matter of a few years. 

The fact that the Ducks haven't hosted an All-Star game, is still mind-blowing to me.

only being 25 miles apart definitely qualifies as being a suburb.  

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

All Star Games/Weekends have been cash grabs ever since they were created. Because of nostalgia for their childhood ASGs people seem to think the integrity of the event has gone down when it's always been something that's mainly catered to kids & fans of the host team. If having it in Florida means guys like Ovi & Sid are willing to show up I'm all for it.

For years I've been saying that they need to ditch the Stadium Series and do the All Star Game outside. Might as well embrace the gimmicky elements of the weekend and try and make it as fun as possible for the players. Maybe host it in more intimate venues like MLS stadiums. Do the classic 'sticks in the middle' method of deciding the teams.

They should do an all-star game outdoors, but I can't see them ditching the Stadium Series to do it.  Too much money to be made from having both events.

Not that I really care anymore because I think the All Star Lame Games should go away in all sports but Pittsburgh hasn't hosted an All Star Game since 1990

Bring Back:
Wales vs Campbell
Orange / Black All Star Uniforms
5 on 5
Play the Game as a Game, without all the Fluff

Somebody on the NHL FB page made a comment about these recent ASG basically taking the Hockey out of the Hockey ASG and he cited a few examples. I'll see if I can find his actual quotes and examples but it was something to the extent of; 
- 3 on 3 (that's shiny / pond Hockey not NHL Hockey)
- Platform shooting (are they shooting a NBA style McDonalds commercial? What's that got to do with Hockey?) I know they cited the Pens for the inspiration on this (Crosby / Malkin shooting from the upper deck but even that was kinda stupid)
- Shooting Stars Accuracy shooting (what was wrong with JUST Hitting the Targets?)

I get it's supposed to be Fun and for the "Fans" but call me old school or boomer (funny cause I'm only 46, yet some youngins feel the need to call me Boomer when I disagree with them LMAO) but I was at the 1990 ASG Skills Competition here in Pittsburgh. We didn't NEED all the garbage Fluff to accompany the Skills Comp. In a sense it was Business as usual type deal, the Players STILL HAD FUN simply doing what they get paid to do

2 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Not that I really care anymore because I think the All Star Lame Games should go away in all sports but Pittsburgh hasn't hosted an All Star Game since 1990

Bring Back:
Wales vs Campbell
5 on 5

Somebody on the NHL FB page made a comment about these recent ASG basically taking the Hockey out of the Hockey ASG and he cited a few examples. I'll see if I can find his actual quotes and examples but it was something to the extent of; 
- Platform shooting (are they shooting a NBA style McDonalds commercial? What's that got to do with Hockey?) I know they cited the Pens for the inspiration on this (Crosby / Malkin shooting from the upper deck but even that was kinda stupid)
- Shooting Stars Accuracy shooting (what was wrong with JUST Hitting the Targets?)

I get it's supposed to be Fun and for the "Fans" but call me old school or boomer (funny cause I'm only 46, yet some youngins feel the need to call me Boomer when I disagree with them LMAO) but I was at the 1990 ASG Skills Competition here in Pittsburgh. We didn't NEED all the garbage Fluff to accompany the Skills Comp. In a sense it was Business as usual type deal, the Players STILL HAD FUN simply doing what they get paid to do

Here's the problem.  The players don't want to get hurt, which is why they are going a little more than half speed..  And, as a fan, I rather the players (at least the guys on my favourite team) not injure themselves in a mean nothing game.  All the fluff and format changes is a way to keep interest in the all-star weekend.  Even though people complain about it, the game still makes money and at the very least, the fans in the host city enjoy it.

7 hours ago, oddball said:

If you’re in Disney land and say you are going “down town” you’d be going to down town LA so yea it is a suburb whether you want to admit it or not.

Who cares if the Panthers had an All-Star Game in 2003? We hadn't even invaded Iraq yet, that may as well be an eternity ago. Have it there every year for all I care. Have the All-Star Game in suburban Lauderdale every year while not having a team year-round, even. It's just the NHL All-Star Game, they're always getting lost to Olympics or lockouts anyway and they keep changing the rules.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Who cares if the Panthers had an All-Star Game in 2003? We hadn't even invaded Iraq yet, that may as well be an eternity ago. Have it there every year for all I care. Have the All-Star Game in suburban Lauderdale every year while not having a team year-round, even. It's just the NHL All-Star Game, they're always getting lost to Olympics or lockouts anyway and they keep changing the rules.

I actually don't have much of an issue with this. The All-Star Game is for kids and sponsors anyway. Keeping it in a warm location in the middle of winter might actually entice fewer players to be "hurt" during the All-Star break. If the NFL can have the Pro Bowl in Hawaii/Orlando every year, I don't see why this is really different. 

10 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Bring Back:
Wales vs Campbell
5 on 5

So yeah...

Look. I like a lot of the old school flourishes you're advocating for (though your "We didn't NEED all the garbage" and ""Fans"" presentation leaves a lot to be desired) but I'm going to be brutally honest with you. What you're advocating for, while nice in a traditional sort of way, is outdated and not marketable in 2020. And I'll even go one step further. The way they're doing things now isn't marketable either.

The concept of the All-Star Game is a relic from a time when you could only really see your local team. When seeing the best players from across the league was novelty for most fans. In that environment? The ASG was a fun event.

Now? I can watch any game on any given night, regardless of market, on my phone. I can pull up the previous night's highlights on YouTube (probably also on my phone). No one needs the ASG to see the League's best once a year anymore.

The gimmicky 3 on 3 stuff has lost its novelty.

Going back to a proper 5 on 5 three period game would be a bore because no one wants to actually play a proper ASG anymore.

They ought to just trash the whole All-Star Game concept.

7 hours ago, BelfourThibault said:

That’s true, but the culture between LA and Orange County is very different. 

Brooklyn and Manhattan are also quite different culturally, and yet both are suburbs/boroughs of NYC. And Anaheim is still in the LA metropolitan area, thus I think it could count as a suburb of LA.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Nah, what I think they should do is turn the All-Star Weekend into a showcase of hockey of all types. Get some sledge hockey in there! It'd be neat to have the NHL turn the All-Star weekend into a way to showcase hockey as a sport rather then just the NHL.

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

Now? I can watch any game on any given night, regardless of market, on my phone. I can pull up the previous night's highlights on YouTube (probably also on my phone). No one needs the ASG to see the League's best once a year anymore.

The gimmicky 3 on 3 stuff has lost its novelty.

Going back to a proper 5 on 5 three period game would be a bore because no one wants to actually play a proper ASG anymore.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1724264/all-star-games-arent-broken-you-just-got-old

Archived