Logos Killed by Fan Revolts

9 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Here’s a suggestion, the famous LA Chargers logo. It was mocked nation wide, not just by the fans

Another excellent suggestion.

The Chargers made an ill-advised move to Los Angeles, and unveiled an even more ill-advised "LA" logo.

chargerslogojpg.jpg

The response was immediate and universal.  I mean, EVERYBODY was mocking them.

They even got trolled by minor-league baseball teams.

The Chargers tried changing the color scheme, before abandoning it altogether.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I don't blame Granite Staters for hating this logo, though. Being the first-in-the-nation primary state, we're bombarded with political ads seemingly nonstop. It seems like we've been seeing ads here for Steyer since seemingly time immemorial, let alone the other candidates. So, I empathize with sports fans that would want to visit Manchester for a game and not see a reminder of politics.

That said, the logo is objectively awesome. So was the original Fisher Cats logo:

Image result for NH Fisher Cats original logo"

OOooo I like the  Fisher Cats logo

39 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Sabres fans had to endure the slug for four seasons, despite the bashlack. (1 pre edge and the min 3 post edge)

Yeah, but was that an actual NHL rule, or merely Tom Golisano's ego refusing to let go?  Billionaires do tend to think they know best, and seemingly love to put their personal mark on teams.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but was that an actual NHL rule, or merely Tom Golisano's ego refusing to let go?  Billionaires do tend to think they know best, and seemingly love to put their personal mark on teams.

In this list of "popular stories that never are confirmed", there's a 3 year min for home and away jerseys. I think it's a bit of both. The Oilers proved you could take a third and promote it to a primary within three years, and the Sabres just didnt do that.

What makes this such a question is that Pegula bought the team. I, and likely no one, knows what would have happened if Golisano didnt sell.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Another excellent suggestion.

The Chargers made an ill-advised move to Los Angeles, and unveiled an even more ill-advised "LA" logo.

chargerslogojpg.jpg

The response was immediate and universal.  I mean, EVERYBODY was mocking them.

They even got trolled by minor-league baseball teams.

The Chargers tried changing the color scheme, before abandoning it altogether.

Like everything the Spanos Clown Syndicate touches, it ended in epic failure. 

11 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

In this list of "popular stories that never are confirmed", there's a 3 year min for home and away jerseys. I think it's a bit of both. The Oilers proved you could take a third and promote it to a primary within three years, and the Sabres just didnt do that.

I do wonder if that 3-year minimum is just a fan myth repeated and ossified by the Internet.

That Leeds 2019 badge is just awful. This isn't the first example of Leeds attempting drastic rebrands, right? I seem to recall there being some strong opinions about this 1970s era rebrand, though I don't know the whole story.

spacer.png

ALSO: Cool thread.

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think the Islanders Gorton's Fisherman logo is the closest thing you're going to see to this in the current era of North American major-league sports, and even that took a few seasons to undo itself since (to your point) so much merch and marketing things are already in production by the time anything is unveiled.

Even when the fans got the logo back, it still took time to get the jersey back.

1996-97-New-York-Islanders-Vukota-Fishers-l300.jpg

Not learning form their mistakes, the team continues to crap on its history and fans by rolling out crappy sweaters every few years, whether it be the first Edge set, the black basketball-jersey set, the orange alts, etc.

The funny thing is that I feel like the logo is the most redeemable element of that set. The striping, terrible font, and jumping on the teal bandwagon were much more problematic. I think if you do a quick recolour of the fisherman it would be an improvement over the NY monogram on the current thirds.

Of course timing is everything, and the logo represented the team's quick decline from model franchise to league laughingstock. 

If the Chargers went navy and white that would suck, but I did not understand the hate for that LA bolt logo. It's simple and distinctive enough IMO. The fact that so many much worse logos persist while that got clowned out of existence is baffling.

That being said, moving the Chargers to LA was stupid and the ownership deserves every bit of humiliation they receive.

There was nothing wrong with the LA Bolt logo.  If people didn't like it then fine, but it didn't deserve the trolling it got from other teams... some of which have terrible logos themselves.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The funny thing is that I feel like the logo is the most redeemable element of that set.

I think the lighthouse shoulder patch was the best part of that set.  If they would have built the identity around that instead of the constipated fisherman it might have gone over better.

inHXDU6.png?1

Parma changed crests in 2000, but fans were already not happy about the black cross kit being replaced by the yellow and blue hoops kit and they switched back after a year. After Parmalat went bust they changed back to the black cross on white kit too. 

Old/New logo (it was A.C. Parma at the time but the crest was the same)

spacer.png   

Logo used in 2000/01

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 12/23/2019 at 7:02 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I think the Islanders Gorton's Fisherman logo is the closest thing you're going to see to this in the current era of North American major-league sports, and even that took a few seasons to undo itself since (to your point) so much merch and marketing things are already in production by the time anything is unveiled.

Even when the fans got the logo back, it still took time to get the jersey back.

1996-97-New-York-Islanders-Vukota-Fishers-l300.jpg

Not learning form their mistakes, the team continues to crap on its history and fans by rolling out crappy sweaters every few years, whether it be the first Edge set, the black basketball-jersey set, the orange alts, etc.

As a Pens (1) and Isles (1A) fan, it was my understanding that the Isles Season Ticket Holders refused to renew their Tickets until things changed (I may be wrong). I know myself and a lot of other Pens fans REFUSED to buy Pens Merchandise with that POS pigeon / robo / hummingbird / Corporate / MONEY GRAB logo. As a former usher at CONSOL Energy Center, I know when the Pens handed out Questionnaires (twice a year) about which logo / uniform style / color scheme the Fans preferred, the Overwhelming response was the Skating Penguin, '88-'92 uniform and Black / Pittsburgh Gold (as it's called around here) color scheme. 2014 the Pens revealed a Retro '88-'92 Black / Pittsburgh Gold 3rd. Needless to say, the 3rd proved so popular that the Pens created a white version of it and the rest is history. To me the Pens look has finally come full circle and is where it should be (hopefully NEVER changing again)   

19 hours ago, Echo said:

I think the lighthouse shoulder patch was the best part of that set.  If they would have built the identity around that instead of the constipated fisherman it might have gone over better.

I disagree. The Fisherman logo looks a lot better if you get rid of the toothpaste stripe and change it to proper Islanders colors.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The funny thing is that I feel like the logo is the most redeemable element of that set. The striping, terrible font, and jumping on the teal bandwagon were much more problematic. I think if you do a quick recolour of the fisherman it would be an improvement over the NY monogram on the current thirds.

Of course timing is everything, and the logo represented the team's quick decline from model franchise to league laughingstock. 

Same can be said of my Pens. Majority of the long time fans (myself included) hate the POS howard baldwin pigeon / robo / hummingbird / Corporate / MONEY GRAB thingie! It's not a bad logo per say but to me (personally) it looks like something a Corporate Bank or the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium would use for the Penguin exhibit as opposed to a Hockey team. As I have gotten older and things have come out about baldwin and that pigeon logo, my hatred now runs even deeper for it.  baldwins bad business decisions (starting with the logo change) started the Pens Franchise on a downward spiral towards it's 2nd Bankruptcy

Archived