Logos Killed by Fan Revolts

1 hour ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Same can be said of my Pens. Majority of the long time fans (myself included) hate the POS howard baldwin pigeon / robo / hummingbird / Corporate / MONEY GRAB thingie! It's not a bad logo per say but to me (personally) it looks like something a Corporate Bank or the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium would use for the Penguin exhibit as opposed to a Hockey team. As I have gotten older and things have come out about baldwin and that pigeon logo, my hatred now runs even deeper for it.  baldwins bad business decisions (starting with the logo change) started the Pens Franchise on a downward spiral towards it's 2nd Bankruptcy

So, is this what Kevin Stevens talked like when he got busted in that St. Louis motel room?

工’レヨ 几ヨレヨ尺 ヨレヨ几 己ヨヨ几 亡尺丹亡片 日ヨ乍回尺ヨ

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, is this what Kevin Stevens talked like when he got busted in that St. Louis motel room?

工’レヨ 几ヨレヨ尺 ヨレヨ几 己ヨヨ几 亡尺丹亡片 日ヨ乍回尺ヨ

Was sad to see big Artie fall so hard so fast! Nice to see he finally got himself clean / sober and his life going back on track

spacer.png 

I've always preferred the Robopen to the Skating Penguin, and it's irked me that EA consistently ignores that era of the Penguins in games but keeps universally-loathed jerseys like the Mustardcat in every damn game. It always gave me a professional feel; less overtly goofy, but not hyper-aggressive and overly-designed; very restrained and well-executed. Had it come around during the back-to-backs, I wonder if the Penguins would ever have gone back to the Skating Penguin at all.

I always considered it a fairly natural evolution; incorporating the triangle and penguin into one solid logo always looked better to me then slapping the skating penguin on top of a triangle; the multiple bits poking out kind of make it a little cluttered in silhouette because instead of just a triangle and a penguin's head, you get a triangle, part of a penguin's head, part of an arm, part of a stick, a leg, part of a skate and the end of a stick all poking out of a triangle at different angles.

Granted, they'll never change back to the Robopen now, they have like 5 Cups with the Skating Penguin. But I always kinda thought it was a rather beautiful evolution of the logo.

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

spacer.png 

I've always preferred the Robopen to the Skating Penguin, and it's irked me that EA consistently ignores that era of the Penguins in games but keeps universally-loathed jerseys like the Mustardcat in every damn game. It always gave me a professional feel; less overtly goofy, but not hyper-aggressive and overly-designed; very restrained and well-executed. Had it come around during the back-to-backs, I wonder if the Penguins would ever have gone back to the Skating Penguin at all.

I always considered it a fairly natural evolution; incorporating the triangle and penguin into one solid logo always looked better to me then slapping the skating penguin on top of a triangle; the multiple bits poking out kind of make it a little cluttered in silhouette because instead of just a triangle and a penguin's head, you get a triangle, part of a penguin's head, part of an arm, part of a stick, a leg, part of a skate and the end of a stick all poking out of a triangle at different angles.

Granted, they'll never change back to the Robopen now, they have like 5 Cups with the Skating Penguin. But I always kinda thought it was a rather beautiful evolution of the logo.

It's hard to say! 1) IF Mario never takes ownership, possibility the Pens are still using the pigeon (Mario himself hated the pigeon, believe it was Mario that coined the term Hummingbird to describe that logo). 2) IF word never leaked out that howard baldwin was hell bent on Marketability (cause ya know, Lemieux / Jagr wasn't Marketable enough, Back to Back Stanley Cup Champions wasn't Marketable enough) (even tossed around the idea of changing the Name of the Team to the Hornets (Pittsburgh's AHL Team from 1936 - 1967 / Detroit's farm team / even using Detroit's uniform style and Red an White color scheme). 3) IF baldwins bad business decisions never happened (A - baldwin jumps on the Plan B initiative with the Steelers and Pirates and the Pens get a NEW Arena in the early '00s as opposed to baldwin Turing Down that offer. B - baldwin NOT selling off the Pens rights to NON Hockey related Parking and Concessions (WWF, Disney on Ice, Concerts, Etc, the Pens got all that extra Revenue, ya know in a NON Capped NHL, the Extra Revenue could have come in handy) maybe Fan reaction to the logo / uniform change is a positive instead of a negative

So this logo was killed by the public but then resurrected a year later.

The Calgary Hitmen unveiled their name and original logo in 1994 and it was extremely popular with early merchandise selling quickly, but it was just as quickly deemed "too violent". 

calh11nov29_hitmen.jpg?quality=65&strip=

However, the name and logo were also subject to heavy criticism from segments of the public and the business community, who panned both as negative stereotypes of violence within the sport. Among the chief critics of the new logo was the Flames organization. They had received calls from concerned business people over theme and shared that sentiment.

With all the negative attention, along with struggling to get corporate sponsors because of it, they unveiled a second logo a couple months later, which is now referred to as the "starburst" logo.

8278e7f3f5b4e083.jpg

This logo lasted for only their original season as they switched back to the original logo for the next season and have used that logo ever since, with only a switch in colour scheme.

Protsenko.jpgHitmen07-730x487.jpg

The starburst logo made a reappearance as a shoulder patch when the Hitmen did a throwback turned couple season alternate for their 20th anniversary.

Kenton+Helgesen+Regina+Pats+v+Calgary+Hi

IbjBaeE.png

On 12/24/2019 at 4:36 PM, -Akronite- said:

If the Chargers went navy and white that would suck, but I did not understand the hate for that LA bolt logo. It's simple and distinctive enough IMO. The fact that so many much worse logos persist while that got clowned out of existence is baffling.

That being said, moving the Chargers to LA was stupid and the ownership deserves every bit of humiliation they receive.

The color scheme was the problem.  Had they introduced it in powder blue and gold, or even navy and gold, it would have been fine.

But a white “LA” monogram on blue?  They absolutely should have foreseen the reaction they got.  

On 12/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, Fitzy0220 said:

Same can be said of my Pens. Majority of the long time fans (myself included) hate the POS howard baldwin pigeon / robo / hummingbird / Corporate / MONEY GRAB thingie! It's not a bad logo per say but to me (personally) it looks like something a Corporate Bank or the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium would use for the Penguin exhibit as opposed to a Hockey team. As I have gotten older and things have come out about baldwin and that pigeon logo, my hatred now runs even deeper for it.  baldwins bad business decisions (starting with the logo change) started the Pens Franchise on a downward spiral towards it's 2nd Bankruptcy

At least you still got to see some decent seasons in the robo-penguin. I'm sure A few deep playoff runs and some MVP performances by Lemieux & Jagr kept fans from revolting the way Islander fans did.

17 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Calgary Hitmen unveiled their name and original logo in 1994 and it was extremely popular with early merchandise selling quickly, but it was just as quickly deemed "too violent". 

ZIfGUfQ.gif

The Akron Aeros had a similar issue with their original name, the Akron Blast.  Their issue was tone deafness, as the name Blast was supposed to be in reference to a space shuttle taking off and an allusion to Judith Resnick, one of the astronauts of the Challenger that dies in the 1986 accident, and who was a resident of Akron. The team backtracked on the name of the team and the mascot, whose original name was Kaboom, before changing over to Orbit. 

https://www.wksu.org/news/story/37247

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/30/2019 at 8:46 PM, ieatstaples said:

Ottawa unveiled this abomination of a commemorative jersey patch:

Ottawa-Senators-25th-logo.jpg

But luckily was replaced with this:

d3184153f6e5a7ce15532a9d6601d41b.jpg

What is the word on the street as far as the Sens new logo / uniform? Hoping they at least go back to the 2D logo or the O logo. Never liked the 3D logo

Clever idea, questionable execution and an unfortunate resemblance.  This was unveiled before the 2005 lockout and by the time play resumed, later that year, it was pretty much universally despised. The announcement that it was being put out to pasture happened well before the 2005/06 regular season concluded.

SyHNa0m.jpg

This is dedication...

2HqM2Gk.jpg

It was well before that. The Mooterus saw a full season of use in 2003-04.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 12/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, monkeypower said:

calh11nov29_hitmen.jpg?quality=65&strip=

With all the negative attention, along with struggling to get corporate sponsors because of it, they unveiled a second logo a couple months later, which is now referred to as the "starburst" logo.

8278e7f3f5b4e083.jpg

This logo lasted for only their original season as they switched back to the original logo for the next season and have used that logo ever since, with only a switch in colour scheme.

Protsenko.jpgHitmen07-730x487.jpg

The starburst logo made a reappearance as a shoulder patch when the Hitmen did a throwback turned couple season alternate for their 20th anniversary.

Kenton+Helgesen+Regina+Pats+v+Calgary+Hi

One of the rare instances of a sports team using pink as a team colour.

UBwef0L.png

3 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

It was well before that. The Mooterus saw a full season of use in 2003-04.

Right you are.  Strange having zero recollection of seeing it before the lockout, I'm assuming it was more or less hated on arrival.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:54 PM, Fitzy0220 said:

What is the word on the street as far as the Sens new logo / uniform? Hoping they at least go back to the 2D logo or the O logo. Never liked the 3D logo

There's been rumours of the team rebranding either this or next summer, but the Chief Marketing Officer who had been in charge of it left the organization before the start of this season, so it might be up in the air. The fanbase seems split between wanting the 2D logo & the =O=, but everyone seems to be in agreement that the current look is terrible.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:03 PM, Morgo said:

Clever idea, questionable execution and an unfortunate resemblance.  This was unveiled before the 2005 lockout and by the time play resumed, later that year, it was pretty much universally despised. The announcement that it was being put out to pasture happened well before the 2005/06 regular season concluded.

SyHNa0m.jpg

I've always thought people overreacted to this jersey. The red was definitely unnecessary, and the anatomical resemblance was unfortunate, but other than that it was a fairly conservative look compared to a lot of third jerseys we've seen. 

I did always find it strange that during that era the team kept the A at the top of the star even when it wasn't being used as part of the wordmark. 

Archived