Best sports pictures of the decade

habsfan1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Some of these are a little cringeworthy.

I know. I regret posting Nick Foles with his daughter. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is this thread supposed to be about good sports photography or just pictures of our favorite teams? I ask because, as a photographer, I think there are more than a few shots in this thread that have no business being called the "best"...well...anything. 😎

I'm going with good photography and two sports I couldn't care less about. 

qZ2kZ3M.jpg

R6BreTu.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

In 2013-14, Liverpool led the Premier League for most of the season, looking to win their first league title since 1990, and their first in the Premier League era.  With three games to go in the season, Liverpool hosted Chelsea with a lead of five points over them and six over Manchester City (who had a game in hand). 

In first-half stoppage time of a scoreless match, Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho played a square ball to legend Steven Gerrard in Liverpool's own half.  Gerrard then made a famous slip on the wet turf, which allowed Chelsea's Demba Ba to seize the loose ball, and to charge in and score the game's first goal.

Chelsea won the match 2-0, and Manchester City won their match that same day, reducing Liverpool's leads over those teams to two and three points, respectively.  But the slip gave City the upper hand, as, even if Liverpool were to win both of their remaining matches, City would take the title by winning all of their remaining matches and finishing with the same number of points, because City had the better goal difference.  

The next weekend City won as expected, but LIverpool could only draw. Chelsea drew as well; so Liverpool had a lead of only one point over City (who still had a game in hand) and two over Chelsea. City then won their game in hand, a midweek encounter, to move ahead of Liverpool by two and Chelsea by four.  And that's how they finished, as all three teams won on the season's final weekend.

While Chelsea's failure to take the title that year was disappointing, Liverpool's choke was satisfying in its own right.  And, if Chelsea cannot win, then I didn't mind the title going to Man City, for whom I have enormous respect.

This is the moment of the slip, with Ba's reaction.

Image result for demba ba gerrard slip

But this is the truly iconic photo, an image of a stunned Gerrard kneeling on the field.

Image result for demba ba gerrard slip

We know that Liverpool will end the decade not having won the league since 1990, which is nice.  However, they have a comparatively large lead this year, currently ten points over the nearest challenger. But I still hold out hope for a collapse that will extend their 30-year drought.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived