Best sports pictures of the decade

habsfan1

Well...getting back to (as far as I can tell) the original point of this thread--and all that criteria my boy infrared41 laid out--this one has to be my favorite thus far, just for the artistry alone:

sdut-the-carrier-classic-ncaa-colleg-201

Now...because I obviously must have missed it, can someone explain to me how two college teams ended up playing a game on what looks like a Navy aircraft carrier???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Buc said:

Well...getting back to (as far as I can tell) the original point of this thread--and all that criteria my boy infrared41 laid out--this one has to be my favorite thus far, just for the artistry alone:

Now...because I obviously must have missed it, can someone explain to me how two college teams ended up playing a game on what looks like a Navy aircraft carrier???

Former Michigan State AD Mark Hollis. 

While spending over a decade avoiding/ignoring the crimes of Dr. Larry Nassar, Hollis was constantly wanting to make the start of the NCAA basketball season "an event" and doing bits.  In 2001, he had Michigan/Michigan State hockey play outdoors in Spartan Stadium, ushering in the outdoor game trend. In 2003, he held a basketball game at Ford Field. The PK90 was his idea. He wanted AT&T Stadium to play four games at once as far back as when Jerry World opened.  He laid out the idea for a game on Veteran's Day on an aircraft carrier and ESPN and the Defense Department bought in to stage it. 

1 hour ago, Buc said:

See, folks? Buc gets it. 

BB52Big.jpg

20 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Former Michigan State AD Mark Hollis. 

While spending over a decade avoiding/ignoring the crimes of Dr. Larry Nassar, Hollis was constantly wanting to make the start of the NCAA basketball season "an event" and doing bits.  In 2001, he had Michigan/Michigan State hockey play outdoors in Spartan Stadium, ushering in the outdoor game trend. In 2003, he held a basketball game at Ford Field. The PK90 was his idea. He wanted AT&T Stadium to play four games at once as far back as when Jerry World opened.  He laid out the idea for a game on Veteran's Day on an aircraft carrier and ESPN and the Defense Department bought in to stage it. 

2012-13 EVERYBODY was hopping on the bandwagon and then almost all of them got cancelled due to moisture on the court and stuff

Syracuse-San Diego State on the Midway went as planned

2012-11-11-syracuse-san-diego-state-uss-

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Yeah its a great picture.  You have to assume those are the best runners in the entire world behind him.  Imagine not only being the best at something but being so far ahead of the next best.  

That photo is so great is because Bolt won his first Gold in 2008, and successfully won (without drugs) for two other Olympiads. 

Archived