Goodbye 2010s -- What was your favorite and least favorite sports brand/uniform trend of the last 10 years?

Title is self explanatory. 

For me, my favorite was how the Army-Navy game became an arena for uniform design. From two teams with nearly identical uniforms to a game where the uniforms are as noteworthy as the game itself. 

889090974.jpg.0.jpg uspw_6829020_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

AP_19348759322720.jpg?w=1500AN_Uniform_Graphic_3__71.jpg

Least favorite: 

Nonsensical combinations of white / grey / colored uniform garments in college football and high school 

usa_today_11933213.0.jpg KennesawStateWofford.jpg

1074592420.jpg.0.jpgKentState_GoldenFlashes_vs_Buffalo_2019_kentstfootball_2.jpg?itok=KnlXQj7s

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite probably would've been the food themes in minor league baseball, but it started to get a little old after more and more teams jumped on board. The 1990's and 2000's brought upon some ugly designs and dreary color trends, so it was nice to see some teams move away from that and adopt brighter colors or just simply bring back historic looks (Buffalo Bills, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Blue Jays, etc.).

My least favorite is either chromed helmets in football or the sleeved uniforms in the NBA. The only chromed helmet I remember not hating was TCU's, but every other one is like wearing a mirror around your head. I haven't seen any NBA team wear sleeves for a while now so I'm hoping that's been put to rest. I'm not sure what the marketing speech around that was.

Great topic!

My favorite trend of the decade was teams correcting course and returning to a modernized classic look of their uniforms, (ex. Penguins, Leafs, Blue Jays, Bills, Vikings) 

Some teams did it, I think became perfect and then changed it more such as the Edmonton Oilers.  I love the Royal Blue look that they left in favor of the orange.  Then there were teams that are close but not there yet (Calgary Flames throwbacks are great but relatively unused, Miami Dolphins).

My least favorite trends start with the Nike tampering with team uniforms. (Dolphins, Browns, Jags, Bucs, Titans) I like the Seahawks however. 

DISHONORABLE MENTIONS:

1. The Rams - LA uniform plan.  Clashing of eras and colors

2. NBA uniform explosion - I will admit that some of the uniforms that they come up with are pretty cool but it is at the expense of teams having any sort of consistency and identity.  I wonder what it will look like fifty years from now to look back at highlights with these teams looking like this.

3. The NFL One Helmet Rule - effectively ending creative throwback opportunities for teams.  

Favorite stuff:

1. The general modernization of classic logos/sets, with a couple exceptions. The Panthers, Dolphins, Blue Jays, Padres, Brewers, Jazz, and Kings all brought previous identities into the modern age with excellent results. None of these examples are perfect, but all are better than what had before. 

2. The general emphasis teams have been placing on uniform reveals, logo changes, etc. It shows how teams are paying attention to how they look.

3. Just about everything relating to the Timberwolves' logo.

4. '90s nostalgia, or, at least some of it. The Hornets, Raptors, and Grizzlies should absolutely be embracing that time period.  

5. The Hartford Whalers returned!

6. The NHL's beautiful All-Star game logos.

Least Favorite:

1. Brand dilution. NBA's five+ jerseys and the NFL's Color Rush have ruined some teams. Some ideas were great (Miami Vice, Utah's City jersey, Panthers blue jerseys) but most sucked.

2. The fact that the New Orleans Hornets made a better updated Hornets logo than the Charlotte Hornets did.

3. The LA Clippers.

4. The One Helmet rule.

5. The Cleveland Browns.

6. The fact that the Marlins were so close to nailing their new look but fell just short.

7. The NFL and NBA's templated logos.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Favorite: Teams fixing their "identity crises" by going to looks inspired by the past and finally answering the question of "what is this team's identity?"  Blue Jays, Brewers, Astros, Padres, Penguins.

Least Favorite: Teams having too many identities or color schemes.  The worst is the NBA ditching home and road in favor of whatever/whenever and alternates with color schemes completely unrelated to the teams' official schemes.  Also teams over-using throwbacks to the point of having multiple identities.  Twins, Brewers (now corrected).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Outside ads on the uniforms in the NBA, and the slippery slope that will be realized in the 2020s, my biggest gripe is the number of alternate uniforms. 

it is easy to point the finger at the NBA regarding this, but MLB is getting worse. Before this off season’s alterations, the Diamondbacks could wear a different uniform every day of the week if they had a road and home series. The Rangers rebrand is uniform heavy. How many hat and jersey combination do the Nats need?Some teams do this better than others because they have day of the week rules and they stick to it. Other teams seem to fixate on a look and stick to it forever with little variation. I don’t see it changing anytime soon, but that’s my gripe. 

My favorite uniform element of the decade has been New Era’s Diamond Era style BP caps. BP caps weren’t great prior to their introduction being 3930s. I remember the Cardinals ditching their BP caps for their red home caps at home and on the road during BP. It has been a great product and a great move. New Era has been able to experiment with retro logos and alternate color ways. There were brief dark periods of the Yankees wearing a BP cap during a game and the pro-lite debacle of 2018. Overall it has been a welcome addition to the MLB landscape. 

My least favorite trend has been the rise of the schizo helmets, as I like to call them. I've seen so many college teams adopt this and it's stupid as all hell. You either have a logo on both sides, numbers on both sides or nothing on both sides! If you want to do it Steelers style (Logo on one side, blank on the other), that's acceptable. But I wish whoever started that trend is thrown off of a cliff and lands in a giant bowl of monkey poop.

My favorite? Well, it's a more recent thing, but MLB's Players Weekend has been really great in terms of colors and giving the teams a unique look. Last season was a dud, but to allow the teams to express themselves with their colors and the players to have their nicknames or other names on their jerseys is awesome.

The BAD: The rise of templates, particularly in soccer. Hate that Nike, Adidas, Puma create one look and simply alter the color for club or national team. Especially bad when one brand owns an entire league....looking at you MLS

The GOOD: The willingness of teams to listen to their fans and bring back classic looks.

Hoping the next trend will be a return to the Throwback culture. Would like to see the death of Color Rush Thursdays usher in the era of Throwback Thursdays. C'mon NFL, you can do it!

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Also WNBA and G League teams wearing the same template for every single team.

IIRC D/G-League always had one template for every team. Same with WNBA except first years with Champion when they had three templates.

Least favorite:

- One Helmet Rule (with no custom facemask rule)

- NBA uniform naming system

- Trend of Roundel logos

Favorite:

- Trend of retro uniforms

- new socks system in NBA (I mean they didn't white or black anymore, but fit to uniform color)

4r2eer.png

41 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

IIRC D/G-League always had one template for every team. Same with WNBA except first years with Champion when they had three templates.

Least favorite:

- One Helmet Rule (with no custom facemask rule)

- NBA uniform naming system

- Trend of Roundel logos

Favorite:

- Trend of retro uniforms

- new socks system in NBA (I mean they didn't white or black anymore, but fit to uniform color)

The fact whole leagues are stuck with one template annoys me to no end. Once adidas took over the WNBA, they started that move to one template. At least with G League teams they have different number fonts and wordmarks.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Favourite: Teams that modernized old looks and got it right (Blue Jays, Astros, Padres, Brewers?)

Least favourite: The rise of Brandiose and the ruining of minor league baseball.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm late to the uniform game, but here goes:

Favorites:
HEAT VICE!!!
The first two MLB Players Weekends
Hornets uniforms from 2014-2015
Nets graffiti uniforms
Baylor basketball neon phase
Powder blues coming back to MLB
LIU Sharks new branding
Big 3's new Aliens team
Columbia Fireflies branding

Southern University's new uniforms

Hated:
Baylor dumping the neon
Recent Hornets uniforms
One helmet rule
Jaguars new unis, I was hoping for better

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Least Favorite: Nike taking over all the major sports leagues. Their work in the NFL is a mixed bag, including decimating the classic Browns into a clown show (on top of being a pathetic team on the field they have to look like :censored:?). They've destroyed branding in the NBA and turned into it an amateur looking league (not to mention the ads, ugh). And among their worst acts (that's actually entirely their fault) is how they showcase their logo instead of letting the team's brand shine. It's bad enough the way they turn it into a major element for the Seahawks and Titans, but they had to horn in on classic MLB looks to cap the decade with another desecration (to be dramatic).

Favorite: Hard to disagree with the trend of modernizing classic looks. But to throw in something new, the use of matte! I know it doesn't always work, but IMO every MLB helmet should be matte. The Dodgers look glorious with it, for instance.

cody-bellinger-dodgers_1.jpg

The matte look allows the colors to match with the uniform so much better than the old shiny helmets. And the raised logos some teams use make them even better. I don't think it's appropriate for the NFL to adopt, but there have been a fair number of college football teams that make it work. And I know people hate chrome, I was glad to see various finishes get tried out (like satin).

Edit: Also, outside of helmets, I much prefer matte fabrics to the 2000s trend of shiny fabrics. Many disagree, especially for metallic colors, but matte looks just look so much better almost across the board to me.

Favorites: Modernized logos (been mentioned a few times)

Some MiLB rebrands (Rubberducks, Wood Ducks, Tortugas)

Matte Helmets

Least favorites: BFBS (looking at you Cavs)

Nike takeover in 3 of 4 professional leagues (I'm counting MLB since deal and some jerseys were unveiled at the end of 2019)

STUPID NBA SLEEVED JERSEYS 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

29 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

Least favorites: BFBS (looking at you Cavs)

Although I'm not a fan of the Cavs use of the color black. I'd hardly call it a BFBS. They had a history from 1994-2003 where black was a major part of their identity.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Favorites:

1) Teams such as the Cowboys, Colts, Steelers, Red Sox, and Yankees keeping their "classic" looks.

2) Reintroduction of powder blue to MLB and NCAA baseball(pants as well as jerseys).

3) LA's NFL teams using a classic look for their home unies.

Not-so favorites:

1) The NFL's one helmet rule.

2) Too many non-white mono looks in the NFL (Saints, Seahawks, Jets, Bills, Titans, Jaguars, and the Chargers in all navy).

3) The prepondernce of non-standard NBA looks.

Favourite

• Returns to classic looks:  Blue Jays, Orioles, Astros, Mets (dropping black), Rams, St. John's.

• More baseball players showing socks.

• Throwback uniforms that recognise franchise continuity (Whalers, Expos, Buffalo Braves).

Least favourite

•Uniform ads in basketball; still more uniform ads in soccer (now the sleeve!); Nike ad on Major League Baseball jerseys.

• Colour-vs-colour matchups.

• Dark uniforms worn at home in basketball 

• Coloured jerseys worn in baseball's postseason.

• Monochrome uniforms in football.

• Lack of standardisation in baseball socks. (I like socks; but it's bad when a team has guys with different sock styles on the field. No better than different caps.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived