Brave-Bird 08

Goodbye 2010s -- What was your favorite and least favorite sports brand/uniform trend of the last 10 years?

Good: 

-The return of bright colors after the move to drab of the 90’s and 00’s. Teams no longer feel the need to darken their colors if they want to sell merchandise. Colors that had generally been avoided by pro sports such as pink and lime green are not taboo anymore.

-In baseball, football and hockey, most teams recognize the need to stick the colors that are recognizable to the franchise 

-Many modernized versions of classic looks

The bad

-Gray for Grays Sake was a scourge

-Metallic colors have been almost eliminated, especially  by Nike refusing to make metallic football pants 

-Elaborate primary logos have gone by the wayside in favor of simple icons that can be easily recognized on an app icon or social media profile picture.

- Soccer teams (Barca with hoops/checkers/Ajax model, Inter with pinstripes, Juve with halves) switching their shirt models to shock the world for a year, get those shirt sales from non fans who wanted something different, only to go back to a more classic look the next year to get the shirt sales of people who rightly never want teams to switch their established look

- The ever increasing ad creep. NBA went from 0 logos of companies to 2, MLB switched theirs to the front, EPL added sleeve sponsorships, Serie A added back and sleeve sponsorship. Everything is now something like  the Toyota Triple Play or the Verizon Two minute warning.

-The proliferation of alternates and the abandonment of having a consistent look over selling a few jerseys. Mother’s Day and Memorial Day and Little League uniforms in baseball, Color Rush, City uniforms, Parley for the Oceans. Just give me primaries and at most two other uniforms that fit with what you are m.

- Everything is now a ‘system’ or some other buzzword to push the brands identity, hot color of the moment and templates over the teams.

-Nikespeak and overwrought logo explanations 

-One helmet rule in the NFL, coupled with the NFL relaxing it’s stance on variations of the primary helmet. I’d rather see teams with different helmets for throwbacks than see teams change up their facemask for a week on their regular uniforms

-Modernizations of past looks is generally good, but now I dread almost any change to any average or above look knowing that in case they get it wrong there will be no going back wholesale to the old look but some bells and whistles will need to be added to update it even if it was perfect

The Mixed

-Uniforms have gone mainstream. What used to be an extremely niche interest is now something that every big social media account looks for opinions of, usually with fire emojis and the like. Most people are idiots and none seem to understand brand consistency or have appreciation for the history of a team. OTOH, it’s nice to not be looked at as a lunatic if you’re interested in uniforms 

- Some experimentation with different treatments of cap logos and helmets. Matte and chrome were fine for some but many went overboard .

Been trying to think on this one. I realized many of the things I liked also have major negatives, so my “mixed bag” list might be the longest I have

The Good:

The modernization of classic uniforms to replace... not so classic uniforms, like the Bills, Blue Jays, etc. 

Teams are more willing to use bright colors than they have been in years past. 

The Bad:

Unnecessary black and gray alternates becoming widespread. 

Asymmetrical helmet designs in football.

Pretty much everything the NBA has done.

The rise of “blame Nike” culture. Teams design the uniforms, Nike (or any other manufacturer) just does what the teams tell them to do. 

The things I enjoyed, but also have a negative side:

Teams venturing a bit more “outside the box” than they have in the past. Some work (Boise State’s angled stripes), some don’t (The Diamondbacks red diamond pattern), but I enjoy seeing new ideas. 

Various finishes on helmets. I absolutely LOVE matte and satin helmets (especially in baseball), while chrome is hit-or-miss. It really depends on which team it is doing it, the issue is many teams that shouldn’t try to use different finishes do and it looks like sh!t. 

Matte fabrics. They look 100 times better than shiny materials on 98% of colors. The only problem is that they severely damage the look of metallic colors, like silver, gold, pewter (especially pewter), etc. 

Mix-and-match football uniforms. I like seeing a few different combinations throughout the year, the problem is that too many teams have decided they want a different combination for every game and that’s just too much. 

Minimalist designs that have sprung up the last 2-3 years. They aren’t bad, and I really like a few of them (Jacksonville especially), but they just feel like a stripe or two somewhere would take them from solidly in the middle of the pack, to close to the top, in terms of design. 

Shouldn't have brought that up, my bad.

Edited by Morgo

Some others. 

Dislikes
 NFNS

spacer.png
spacer.png

Anyone remember this?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/college/2012/03/26/neon-jerseys-make-adidas-a-big-march-madness-winner/37390199/

spacer.png

spacer.png

My biggest pet peeve is that On your biggest stage of the year, we have teams wearing one offs.  Didn't Louisville win it all in their infrared set?

spacer.png

Historically speaking, this decade did not provide a great timeline for any sort of continuation or flow. 

I wont have a list per se, but will post my thoughts as i recall some details.

Bad: Short term MiLB nicknames, mostly based off food.

Good: MiLB identities different than parent clubs...

Bad: Jaguars two tone helmet (I think it was an interesting thought, and could work but the execution was AWFUL)

Bad: Buccaneers digital clock numbers

Bad: Super Bowl logo standardization.  It's kinda getting better, but its still wonky.  The former Grey Cup/NCAA Final Four template with some common details, but an original logo for each event would be ideal

Bad: Ugly collars on hockey jerseys.  The disappearance of proper striping on some national team hockey uniforms.  (See Russian World Junior Team)  

Ads on NBA jerseys and having too many of them, not to mention a new design each year.

Good: Like many have already mentioned, teams going back to classic or updated classic looks.

Best:
The Tuscon Padres do a ton of research and break out the 1980 Tuscon Toros diagonal jersey for one game.
Color Rush, but when it's kept to Thursday night games. It's a decent concept for the HDTV age.
Bethlehem Steel FC revived as the Philadelphia Union's farm team
U.S. women's soccer wearing plain white with wide blue trim like it did in 1913 (and 2000-01, by the way)

Worst:
Weekly college football fashion shows which unfairly put stress on quarterbacks because if they throw to helmets, they'll have to remember a different color every week 
Ad and logo creep in the NBA family of teams. Soon, it's going to get like Eurobasket
Minor-league teams being renamed for one night. Not just food, but things like the Durham Lollygaggers.
Minor-league teams with permanent silly names. Yard Goats? Sod Poodles? Trash Pandas?

One of the saddest moments for me (as a 100 plus cap collector) was the addition of the flag to new era mlb on fields

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/09/19/confirmed-mlb-caps-will-fly-the-new-era-flag/

Milb had it on their cap dating back to the early 2000s, so I appreciate MLB being clean from the crap for more than a decade. 

In similar sad news, the departure of Derby, NY from being the producer of mlb caps was devastating as a cap collector. 

We are now left with inferior products with side flags. A sad end to a decade  where retailer and consumer choices is at a bare minimum. I have yet to see any 2020 authentic on fields in the wild.  Crazy monopoly with prices having increased to absurd levels. 

Favorites:

1) Adidas redesign of the NHL - I was initially skeptical of what Adidas would do, but I think they knocked it out of the park. They removed the outdated piping on jerseys and spurred the return of some classic jersey elements ("mountain" stripe on the Avalanche, hurricane pattern for the Hurricanes). I will also say they did great on the VGK uniforms. Adidas could have easily went trendy and tried to do something "experimental" but we ended up getting a really well-balanced and cohesive set. Their white jersey is still one of my favorite uniforms in the NHL.

2) NHL returning to brighter colors - this includes Adidas kind of, but this started before they did all the uniforms. The drab NHL of the 00s thankfully stayed in that decade. The Islanders, Flyers, Penguins, Oilers (even with the Orange jersey), Lightning, Predators, and Stars all look so much better than they did before. 

3) Return to classic identities in NHL and MLB - this is a pretty common one but it is one worth mentioning. The question is if these identities are temporary and will be replaced later in the 20s by newer designs. I hope not, but I wouldn't rule it out. 

Least Favorites:

1) Color Rush (NFL) and monochrome/dichrome alternates (NHL) - For as great as Adidas did in the initial unveiling, some of the alternates have been awful. The Oilers alternate is one of the worst hockey jerseys I've seen in real time. It's awful and I don't have enough bad things I can say about it. Some Color Rush jerseys are pretty good (Saints, Steelers, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers), but there are so many bad ones (Jaguars in puke gold, Redskins unused mustard mess, Jets new all-black, Cardinals). I'd rather see just plain alternates than this weird monochrome trend.

2) Whatever the NBA is doing - Of all leagues, it makes the most sense for the NBA to try and have as many jerseys as possible, so the rationale is understandable. This is an identity-driven league; in no other Big 4 league do you have so many fans of players that will switch allegiances for a team if their favorite player is traded or leaves in free agency. With so many fans of players rather than teams, consumers will spend their fan money on jerseys and merchandise on stuff with their player. That being said, the lack of identity so many NBA teams have is appalling. Having every team have a roundel logo and a partial logo doesn't really count (their isn't historical significance like in the MLB with a main logo and a cap logo). In an 82 game season (that might be shortened), some teams will wear 5 different uniforms. That's ridiculous. Some of the color-on-color games have teams playing in alternate jerseys that aren't even their respective teams main colors. To top it all off, the "City" jerseys are changed almost every season to something less exciting or aesthetically pleasing than the past. The NBA needs to start by cutting out an alternate and going to a rotation of a white jersey, colored jersey, alternate jersey, and throwback for teams that want one. I'll end my rant here, but my disdain for the NBA's branding is extreme. 

3) Nike and football uniforms - I think this is worse in college with teams like Oregon and Louisville with experimental uniforms that don't work at all. I will give Nike some credit though for some NFL uniforms. For every Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there is a Minnesota Vikings or Miami Dolphins. I actually like Seattle's uniforms (which are pretty controversial as is), and the Lions modernization could have been worse. For the most part, Nike's redesigns have some good elements and ideas, but there is always something that trashes the cohesiveness of the set. In recent redesigns, the Jets black uniform is too dark, the Titans number font and half-side panels ruin an okay set, and the Jaguars need a pants stripe and should have upgraded teal to the primary. A lot of these more "trendy" redesigns seem like a ploy to sell more jerseys now and set up a future redesign to either a somewhat more classic design (a la Vikings) or whatever trend takes over the 2020s. 

Worst: 

• Black uniforms when its not in their palette (Clippers, Celtics, and almost every college football team)
  • The one helmet rule
  • NBA Jersey Ads 
  • Unnecessary NFL uniform templates and collar inconsistencies 
  • Soo Many Alternate Uniforms 
  • Los Angeles Clippers Rebrand 
  • Superbowl Logos

Best:

• The NBA getting some uniforms right. (Last seasons earned and city Bucks unis.) 
  • Tampa Bay Rays Throwbacks
  • MLB stepping away from sleeveless unis.
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2019 Winter Classic Uni
  • NHL All Star Game Logos
  • Miami Hurricanes return to classic look 
  • Phoenix Coyotes finally embracing the past

Least favorites: the continued infiltration of BFBS and GFGS, as well as too much navy, into all levels of organized athletic design; the increasing tendency of metallic colors to be rendered flat-looking by matte finishes; the general decline in use of metallic colors; Nike (or anybody) moving closer to monopolizing the pro sports market; growing trend of football teams matching socks to pants, especially (but not exclusively) when neither element has stripes. 

Favorites: much-needed simplification of new designs toward the end of the decade; probably more teams using bright colors now than ten years ago (although some need to emphasize the bright colors more - looking at you, Marlins and Jaguars); return of kelly green (Dallas Stars, New York Jets; Athletics’ throwback); occasional powder blue alts in baseball (although the head-to-toe powder shouldn’t be worn at home IMO); Padres bringing back brown (technically 2020 but the reveal was 2019); definitely more retro designs, and less extraneous piping et al., than in new designs from the 2000s. 

Ambivalent: Brewers leaving behind unique and appropriate (but also drab and dated) branding to return to BiG (which is admittedly a classic but not sure how well they executed it). 

On 12/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, MattMill said:

We are now left with inferior products with side flags. A sad end to a decade  where retailer and consumer choices is at a bare minimum. I have yet to see any 2020 authentic on fields in the wild.  Crazy monopoly with prices having increased to absurd levels. 

I'll agree with this.  Not really uniform related, but the Nike takeover of the big 3, and the Fanatics takeover of the majority of online apparel.  Negative consequences for the consumer are following.  Prices go up, quality goes down.

I agree that the standardization of the Super Bowl logo was one the worst decisions NFL has made in the last decade. So you just replace/add a letter to the logo, big deal; thats a copout. When you introduced a Super Bowl logo in the past, everyone regonizes it, it gave a meaning or represented where that Super Bowl was played. Now, it just says where underneath the Lombardi trophy.

On 12/31/2019 at 7:21 PM, ~Bear said:

Favorites:

1) Adidas redesign of the NHL - I was initially skeptical of what Adidas would do, but I think they knocked it out of the park. They removed the outdated piping on jerseys and spurred the return of some classic jersey elements ("mountain" stripe on the Avalanche, hurricane pattern for the Hurricanes). I will also say they did great on the VGK uniforms. Adidas could have easily went trendy and tried to do something "experimental" but we ended up getting a really well-balanced and cohesive set. Their white jersey is still one of my favorite uniforms in the NHL.

2) NHL returning to brighter colors - this includes Adidas kind of, but this started before they did all the uniforms. The drab NHL of the 00s thankfully stayed in that decade. The Islanders, Flyers, Penguins, Oilers (even with the Orange jersey), Lightning, Predators, and Stars all look so much better than they did before. 

3) Return to classic identities in NHL and MLB - this is a pretty common one but it is one worth mentioning. The question is if these identities are temporary and will be replaced later in the 20s by newer designs. I hope not, but I wouldn't rule it out. 

Least Favorites:

1) Color Rush (NFL) and monochrome/dichrome alternates (NHL) - For as great as Adidas did in the initial unveiling, some of the alternates have been awful. The Oilers alternate is one of the worst hockey jerseys I've seen in real time. It's awful and I don't have enough bad things I can say about it. Some Color Rush jerseys are pretty good (Saints, Steelers, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers), but there are so many bad ones (Jaguars in puke gold, Redskins unused mustard mess, Jets new all-black, Cardinals). I'd rather see just plain alternates than this weird monochrome trend.

2) Whatever the NBA is doing - Of all leagues, it makes the most sense for the NBA to try and have as many jerseys as possible, so the rationale is understandable. This is an identity-driven league; in no other Big 4 league do you have so many fans of players that will switch allegiances for a team if their favorite player is traded or leaves in free agency. With so many fans of players rather than teams, consumers will spend their fan money on jerseys and merchandise on stuff with their player. That being said, the lack of identity so many NBA teams have is appalling. Having every team have a roundel logo and a partial logo doesn't really count (their isn't historical significance like in the MLB with a main logo and a cap logo). In an 82 game season (that might be shortened), some teams will wear 5 different uniforms. That's ridiculous. Some of the color-on-color games have teams playing in alternate jerseys that aren't even their respective teams main colors. To top it all off, the "City" jerseys are changed almost every season to something less exciting or aesthetically pleasing than the past. The NBA needs to start by cutting out an alternate and going to a rotation of a white jersey, colored jersey, alternate jersey, and throwback for teams that want one. I'll end my rant here, but my disdain for the NBA's branding is extreme. 

3) Nike and football uniforms - I think this is worse in college with teams like Oregon and Louisville with experimental uniforms that don't work at all. I will give Nike some credit though for some NFL uniforms. For every Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there is a Minnesota Vikings or Miami Dolphins. I actually like Seattle's uniforms (which are pretty controversial as is), and the Lions modernization could have been worse. For the most part, Nike's redesigns have some good elements and ideas, but there is always something that trashes the cohesiveness of the set. In recent redesigns, the Jets black uniform is too dark, the Titans number font and half-side panels ruin an okay set, and the Jaguars need a pants stripe and should have upgraded teal to the primary. A lot of these more "trendy" redesigns seem like a ploy to sell more jerseys now and set up a future redesign to either a somewhat more classic design (a la Vikings) or whatever trend takes over the 2020s. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've said it before, games are now Broadcast in HD, we sit at home and watch these HD Games on our HDTVs, a team like the Oilers finally righting a wrong and going back to the Royal Blue and Orange, those colors POPPED on my HDTV, then they went and :censored:ed it all up again by going back to Navy (which in some instances comes off looking like Black (Police Officers uniform, US Navy Dress Blues). I don't understand the Black or Drab dark color for the sake of having a Black or drab dark color uniform, I just don't get it. I cannot wait until next season when the Sabres go back to Royal Blue

On 12/29/2019 at 6:08 PM, jn8 said:

Been trying to think on this one. I realized many of the things I liked also have major negatives, so my “mixed bag” list might be the longest I have

The Good:

The modernization of classic uniforms to replace... not so classic uniforms, like the Bills, Blue Jays, etc. 

Teams are more willing to use bright colors than they have been in years past. 

The Bad:

Unnecessary black and gray alternates becoming widespread. 

Asymmetrical helmet designs in football.

Pretty much everything the NBA has done.

The rise of “blame Nike” culture. Teams design the uniforms, Nike (or any other manufacturer) just does what the teams tell them to do. 

The things I enjoyed, but also have a negative side:

Teams venturing a bit more “outside the box” than they have in the past. Some work (Boise State’s angled stripes), some don’t (The Diamondbacks red diamond pattern), but I enjoy seeing new ideas. 

Various finishes on helmets. I absolutely LOVE matte and satin helmets (especially in baseball), while chrome is hit-or-miss. It really depends on which team it is doing it, the issue is many teams that shouldn’t try to use different finishes do and it looks like sh!t. 

Matte fabrics. They look 100 times better than shiny materials on 98% of colors. The only problem is that they severely damage the look of metallic colors, like silver, gold, pewter (especially pewter), etc. 

Mix-and-match football uniforms. I like seeing a few different combinations throughout the year, the problem is that too many teams have decided they want a different combination for every game and that’s just too much. 

Minimalist designs that have sprung up the last 2-3 years. They aren’t bad, and I really like a few of them (Jacksonville especially), but they just feel like a stripe or two somewhere would take them from solidly in the middle of the pack, to close to the top, in terms of design. 

To the Bolded Part.  Aye you have a point HOWEVER the Teams don't have a choice when it comes to what Materials are used, the general design of the jersey.
case and point:
- for many years NHL jerseys were standard One Material / Box Cut / Straight Bottom Hem (allowed for waist stripes, unique waist stripes like Avalanche mountain peak and the Dallas Stars STAR design),
- enter 2007 and the RBK Edge garbage uniform and you now have a rounded baby onsie bottom hem. (Men's button down dress shirts have a rounded bottom hem, Baseball jerseys have a rounded bottom hem, why? because they get tucked into the Pants, the extra material is needed to help keep it tucked in, Hockey Jerseys are not tucked in)

So now you have this Rounded Bottom Hem (which the Teams have NO control over) , I know for fact that early on, the Rangers and even Sidney Crosby had that bottom hem altered to a Straight bottom hem, League eventually forced them to comply. The rounded bottom hem didn't work for the Dallas Stars STAR design, the rounded bottom hem didn't work for the Avalanche mountain peak, so essentially that RBK Rounded Bottom Hem forced some teams to alter their uniform. Not a fan of the Adidas collar but at least the Bottom Hem is once again straight, Straight Bottom Hem and the Avalanche are again using that mountain peak 

36 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

To the Bolded Part.  Aye you have a point HOWEVER the Teams don't have a choice when it comes to what Materials are used, the general design of the jersey.
case and point:
- for many years NHL jerseys were standard One Material / Box Cut / Straight Bottom Hem (allowed for waist stripes, unique waist stripes like Avalanche mountain peak and the Dallas Stars STAR design),
- enter 2007 and the RBK Edge garbage uniform and you now have a rounded baby onsie bottom hem. (Men's button down dress shirts have a rounded bottom hem, Baseball jerseys have a rounded bottom hem, why? because they get tucked into the Pants, the extra material is needed to help keep it tucked in, Hockey Jerseys are not tucked in)

So now you have this Rounded Bottom Hem (which the Teams have NO control over) , I know for fact that early on, the Rangers and even Sidney Crosby had that bottom hem altered to a Straight bottom hem, League eventually forced them to comply. The rounded bottom hem didn't work for the Dallas Stars STAR design, the rounded bottom hem didn't work for the Avalanche mountain peak, so essentially that RBK Rounded Bottom Hem forced some teams to alter their uniform. Not a fan of the Adidas collar but at least the Bottom Hem is once again straight, Straight Bottom Hem and the Avalanche are again using that mountain peak 

Except it's not. The jersey still has a curved hem, but the stripes are now also curved to follow the hemline.

8 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Except it's not. The jersey still has a curved hem, but the stripes are now also curved to follow the hemline.

I swear to you Crosby's bottom hem is Straight, like the old CCM Box Cut style

Not uniform, but I hate the use of fake/on screen ads blending in with parts of the arena that doesn't have any ads.

Like the ad's on the plexiglass of nhl games that tv stations are doing, its horrible and junky.

I know this sort of thing existed well before the 2010's in baseball behind the batter, but its still annoying how more its being used.

9 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

I agree that the standardization of the Super Bowl logo was one the worst decisions NFL has made in the last decade. So you just replace/add a letter to the logo, big deal; thats a copout. When you introduced a Super Bowl logo in the past, everyone regonizes it, it gave a meaning or represented where that Super Bowl was played. Now, it just says where underneath the Lombardi trophy.

The last few at least have some color variation. And even if that's not enough, we always have the alternate logos.

Image result for super bowl 51 logo"

Image result for super bowl 54 logo"

Image result for super bowl 53 logo"

I know they're still a little generic, but at least they have some differences. I personally like it when they appear on merchandise in the champion's colors.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:03 PM, bcon_731 said:

Worst: 

• Black uniforms when its not in their palette (Clippers, Celtics, and almost every college football team)
  • The one helmet rule
  • NBA Jersey Ads 
  • Unnecessary NFL uniform templates and collar inconsistencies 
  • Soo Many Alternate Uniforms 
  • Los Angeles Clippers Rebrand 
  • Superbowl Logos

Best:

• The NBA getting some uniforms right. (Last seasons earned and city Bucks unis.) 
  • Tampa Bay Rays Throwbacks
  • MLB stepping away from sleeveless unis.
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2019 Winter Classic Uni
  • NHL All Star Game Logos
  • Miami Hurricanes return to classic look 
  • Phoenix Coyotes finally embracing the past

WORST Part 2: 

• Atlanta Braves moving out of Atlanta, for the worst reasons
  • Nike perverting MLB unis with chest swoosh
  • MLB not embracing v-neck pull over uni's
  • Miami Dolphins Rebrand
  • San Antonio Spurs ignoring their Fiesta colors
  • Soo many chest patches for college football games
  • Seattle Mariners shoehorning in cream and powder blues.

Best: 

• Twins, Cardinals. Phillies, Nationals finally embracing powder blues.
  • Cincinnati Bengals white Tiger Color Rush uni.
  • MILB leaning into the absurd rebrands
  • The term "Stormtrooper" from when teams go white/white/white
  • San Diego Padres bringing back so many throwbacks
  • German National Football 2018 team wink wink nudge nudge to their past sets.
  • Adidas special occasion sets for Louisville, ie Muhammad Ali set.