NLL New York Riptide

Oy.

I am watching the New York Riptide's inaugural home opener in the NLL. And the first thing I see is that the team has a nice NY logo that it foolishly relegates to the shoulder...

image.jpg

...while the front of the jersey is taken up by a very unattractive primary logo featuring a monumentally cheesy nickname.

image.jpg

What a wasted opportunity. The NY logo would look great on the jersey's front and at the centre line; in that case the bad nickname would matter less.

Also, music is being played in the arena during the course of play in the game. Extremely annoying. This wasn't the case when the New York Titans were around.

What's more, in the days of the Titans, NLL teams still wore white at home, as the Universe intended.

In short, this is tough to watch, as compared to the good experience of watching the Titans. And I am not even referring to the Riptide going down 6-0 in the game and trailing 8-2 at the half. That I could live with if my senses and sensibilities weren't being assaulted at every turn. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 12/28/2019 at 8:58 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Also, music is being played in the arena during the course of play in the game. Extremely annoying. This wasn't the case when the New York Titans were around.

This is pretty standard for the NLL. I'm actually surprised that the Titans didn't do that.

Yeah, not a huge fan of the Riptide look myself. Especially when compared to the Titans, that was such a great look. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

10 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:
On 12/28/2019 at 8:58 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is pretty standard for the NLL. I'm actually surprised that the Titans didn't do that.

I stand corrected.  I found a clip taken by a fan in the Garden, and music is indeed playing.

Somehow I didn't remember this from the broadcasts.  I guess the MSG Network was able to control the mix that went out over the air.  

Playing music during the game is something that some arena/indoor football teams do, as well.  There is no better way to send the message to the fans that the game is not worthwhile.  I suppose teams think they are injecting excitement; but really they are devaluing the product.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I stand corrected.  I found a clip taken by a fan in the Garden, and music is indeed playing.

Somehow I didn't remember this from the broadcasts.  I guess the MSG Network was able to control the mix that went out over the air.  

Playing music during the game is something that some arena/indoor football teams do, as well.  There is no better way to send the message to the fans that the game is not worthwhile.  I suppose teams think they are injecting excitement; but really they are devaluing the product.

I recall when TSN aired the Toronto Rock games and they cut out the music playing during the run of play as well. I think it distracts heavily from a live broadcast for sure. The very early days of the Rock were televised by Sportsnet and I remember thinking that the announcers had to be louder than the music. It's not great on tv for sure. 

To be honest, I never really thought of it from your point of view. Anytime I've been to an NLL game  they've always had music so I just accepted it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 12:59 PM, mr.negative15 said:

I recall when TSN aired the Toronto Rock games and they cut out the music playing during the run of play as well. I think it distracts heavily from a live broadcast for sure. The very early days of the Rock were televised by Sportsnet and I remember thinking that the announcers had to be louder than the music. It's not great on tv for sure. 

To be honest, I never really thought of it from your point of view. Anytime I've been to an NLL game  they've always had music so I just accepted it.

I am gonna say it now and say it again. I hate it when arena leagues (AFL, NLL and others different sports leagues) starts blaring music during the game. The NHL doesn't do it. Why they have to do it. It sucks if you wanna watch the games on sites like YouTube and it get blocked due to that crap. If I ran a league, I sure as hell would stop that crap from happening. 

For me, it makes going to games upsetting as the music hurts my ears. I remember going to an SFA game in Nacogdoches and I left during halftime due to the music hurting my ears to the point I felt sick. Maybe that's why I rather watch games at home then at stadiums...

On the subject of the riptide jerseys. Meh is meh. I miss the Saints to be honest. I love the logo they had and I wish someone would revive the franchise from retirement. I do like the side logo, wish that was the official chest logo for home. Speaking of home jerseys being colored.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What's more, in the days of the Titans, NLL teams still wore white at home, as the Universe intended

I wish the NHL didn't start that... I blame them on making it happen that the NBA follow suit. 

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

Archived