Thrift Store Gems 2020

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Discrim said:

Huh, never knew CCM did baseball jerseys.  Even got the Comiskey Park patch.

Neither did I until I saw this. I was pleased to see the patch too. It’s really good quality but abnormally short for some reason. 

So I had some time to kill before work and headed to a few places.  Far as regular stuff, I'd needed a nice watch to wear to my cousin's upcoming wedding, and bought a rather nice looking gold-faced one for $5 at Burlington.  Earlier, I found this...

20200822-190037.jpg

Original retail price:

20200822-190054.jpg

A price I'd usually balk at for only one thing.  Imagine my shock when I checked the Ross price tag...hell, the clerk who rung me up reacted in similar fashion...

20200822-190103.jpg

No, you ain't seeing things.  That is indeed $1.99 on the tag.  For reference, I've literally spent 10x more on blank jerseys in the past.  Figure there's no way this would still be there next time I'm at Ross, had to snap this up.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

I was at an antique shop over the week and came across a complete-in-box NFL Electric Football game, this one featuring the Vikings and Chiefs. The box was in decent enough shape, though the top flap was being to fall apart. All of the pieces were included in little Ziploc bags, plus original instructions.

Asking price was $22, which I thought was a great deal, but then I had no idea where I'd put such a thing so I passed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I was at an antique shop over the week and came across a complete-in-box NFL Electric Football game, this one featuring the Vikings and Chiefs. The box was in decent enough shape, though the top flap was being to fall apart. All of the pieces were included in little Ziploc bags, plus original instructions.

Asking price was $22, which I thought was a great deal, but then I had no idea where I'd put such a thing so I passed.

That is the story of being a grown up. Right there. I feel ya!

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a Goodwill for the first time in six months today, and I found the 2003 futuristic football board game Battleball and a Tudor NFL Electric Football game. Sadly, both games were missing some parts- but I'll rectify that later.

UBwef0L.png

I had an interesting purchase this weekend - a lot of 1980s NASCAR items, mostly Darrell Waltrip-related:

-two homemade Darrell Waltrip "pit crew" jackets with approximately 15 patches on each

-a DW Mountain Dew shirt from 1981 and a Tide shirt from the late '80s

-multiple hats and visors from various sponsors over DW's career (Gatorade, Mountain Dew, Tide)

-multiple posters (some signed) and items from the DW Fan Club

And, most interestingly, a hat signed by multiple 1980s NASCAR drivers (Richard Petty, Kyle Petty, Neil Bonnett, Ricky Rudd, Buddy Baker #28, Dick Brooks #41, Bruce Hill #50). Hill was an obscure part-time guy, and Brooks was a series regular that only raced #41 in 6 races in late 1980-early 1981. Buddy Baker switched from the #28 to the #1 in 1981, so I was able to triangulate those to nail down (assuming they were all signed at the same race) that this hat was signed at the 1980 National 500 in Charlotte.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Had my first find of the year, and it’s thrown me for a loop. It’s a Made in USA 59FIFTY cap, presumably a road or alt cap, from the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes. What’s odd is that the logo has the coloring round on the red-base cap. Even though they are in my backyard, I have no clue what year it’s from or what the story is... Any info would be appreciated!

Link to my Instagram account with pics of hat...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

^ That was a one-year only cap, worn during the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes' inaguaral year of 1997 (the team arrived in Salem from Bellingham, Washington that year). Awesome cap. :)

EDIT: To further expand on my research, here is the 1997 cap, which is the one you have:

ssv3m7u.jpg

And this is the cap they had in 1998:
CGwF1og.jpg

UBwef0L.png

3 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

^ That was a one-year only cap, worn during the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes' inaguaral year of 1997 (the team arrived in Salem from Bellingham, Washington that year). Awesome cap. :)

Holy cow!! All of my Volcanoes reference material from their first season is in storage. I would have spent a long time tracking that down. Thank you so much!! Not a bad investment today... 😏

Not exactly Thrift Store Gems, but i didn't know where else to put this or feel like starting a new thread. Anyway, since quarantine/COVID started, I've been buying hats with my favorite Minor League mascots. I don't wear hats very often, but I saw a sale on MiLB Shop and it just kinda grew from there. I have a few more I'm looking for, but so far, this is what I've purchased.

- Montgomery Biscuits (I already had the Forrest Gump inspired one, so I got the standard yellow one now)

- Daytona Tortugas

- Milwaukee Admirals refrigerator (AHL hockey, but it's still a fun mascot)

- Hillsboro Hops Alt.

- Piedmont Boll Weevils

- Albuquerque Dukes

- Potomac/Prince William Cannons

- 1994 Beaumont Bullfrogs

8MZuSuV.jpg

The Dukes and Cannons are ones I've wanted for years, and the Bullfrogs is one I've been in search of for a very long time. I've loved that logo since I saw it in a Starstruck Catalog when I was a kid (I freaking LOVED those catalogs with entire farm systems' caps in them), and finally found one that was new.

17 hours ago, johnnysama said:

EDIT: To further expand on my research, here is the 1997 cap, which is the one you have:

ssv3m7u.jpg

And this is the cap they had in 1998:
CGwF1og.jpg

Close, but not quite... On the cap I found, the mountain portion on the cap is outlined in gray, like on the red jersey there. On the cap pictured on the card, the mountain portion is outlined in red. That’s what’s throwing me for a loop!

A few weeks back at Ross, I came across a bunch of Brett Favre jerseys for about $20.  Fortunately, they had a few in my size, which I couldn't say for a few other jerseys I came across: a Matt Stafford throwback, Khalil Mack throwback and a collector's item I came across after work today: the unused Washington ex-Skins color rush jersey. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 9/16/2020 at 9:31 AM, Shumway said:

Not exactly Thrift Store Gems, but i didn't know where else to put this or feel like starting a new thread. Anyway, since quarantine/COVID started, I've been buying hats with my favorite Minor League mascots. I don't wear hats very often, but I saw a sale on MiLB Shop and it just kinda grew from there. I have a few more I'm looking for, but so far, this is what I've purchased.

- Montgomery Biscuits (I already had the Forrest Gump inspired one, so I got the standard yellow one now)

- Daytona Tortugas

- Milwaukee Admirals refrigerator (AHL hockey, but it's still a fun mascot)

- Hillsboro Hops Alt.

- Piedmont Boll Weevils

- Albuquerque Dukes

- Potomac/Prince William Cannons

- 1994 Beaumont Bullfrogs

8MZuSuV.jpg

The Dukes and Cannons are ones I've wanted for years, and the Bullfrogs is one I've been in search of for a very long time. I've loved that logo since I saw it in a Starstruck Catalog when I was a kid (I freaking LOVED those catalogs with entire farm systems' caps in them), and finally found one that was new.

MiLB shop has a daily flash sale, so i snagged this guy (Visalia Oaks) for $15!

visalianeweraangle_1000x.jpg?v=160079237

I also got the Trenton Thunder pork roll cap for $20, which I'm pretty excited for.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked these up today:

kVxLnL7.jpggBKUjz7.jpg

I've never seen the Charlotte Final Four Champion jersey before, and can't find evidence of any other examples. The Michael Finley Wisconsin one is interesting, as it's got a few details not present on the usual Champion Wisconsin jerseys (braided red side stripe, collar material usually found on authentics/gamers, and the jock tag is sewn on all 4 sides compared to usually the 2 vertical sides).

I picked these up in Winston-Salem, NC, which was where USA-made Champion jerseys were produced. I'm thinking these are prototypes or samples.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I saw a game worn BYU football jersey at my local Value Village a couple days ago. It was only $4.99 but I was in a hurry so I didn’t get it. Can’t remember the NOB but it was a linebacker number. Kicking myself a bit now for not looking into more info about it. 

Archived