Punchy_Gungus' NFL Concepts (Seahawks added 5/32)

PERRIN

With all the discussion about the Falcons potentially getting new uniforms for next year, I thought I'd throw a concept I slapped together into to the ring.

7H1okpp.png

Logo takes the current primary mark and eliminates all the unnecessary angles and red highlights, resulting in a nice combination of the current and past logos.

BO5zHOg.png

Uniforms have simple striping; paired with a custom, modern-looking block font. I tried to go for a more modern uniform set to match more with the Atlanta Hawks current identity.

Hope you enjoy. That's all I've got for now. I might redesign the rest of the league when i'm done with the IAAF series.

Made in Affinity Designer, C&C appreciated

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

My problem with everyone wanting to go more traditional for the Falcons is that falcons are sleek / fast birds of prey, and there's plenty of tasteful ways for the uniform to represent that.  The Deion set did it well by using silver and dropping stripes from helmet and sleeve.  The current set tries to do it but they tried too much and it's a bit of a mess - especially the pants.

I think you're close to that tasteful way of doing it, just a few critiques.

1.   The single color numbers are a nice-traditional touch, and are accentuated due to the striping pattern on the sleeve.  Since single-color numbers are pretty traditional, I think some kind of treatment like slight italics would maintain tradition while adding some 'sleekness' to the set.  Right now, the helmet logo kinda contrasts the rest of the uniform just a bit, since it's in a more contemporary style, while the uniform is more traditional.  Just a tad of flare with the numbers might help with that.  Also, would need to see the rest of the numbers before critiquing the font.  So far so good.

1.5 I like the use of single-color numbers here.  I wonder how it'd look with the colors reversed on the white set - black wordmark and red numbers.

2.  I don't think their helmet should have a stripe.  I know there's historical precedent for it, but to me it looks like the bird is flying into a wall.  I feel this way about other helmets too - ex. Seahawks.  If you really want to keep it, I'd go a little thinner.  Maybe go with a single color, to match the numbers and let the logo stand out more.

3.  The red for the third set seems a little bright to use single-color numbers on, though obviously digital images aren't the best indicator.  Maybe go with something a little closer to the current shade, or even if it's a little inconsistent, add black trim to the numbers.

4.  The red pants might actually look nice with the white jersey, and would work with my 3-color rule, with the jersey being white and the pants lighter than the helmet.

5.  I'd pass an actual law against wearing the red on red.

6.  Just a thought - in the vain of keeping it traditional but adding some modern touches, how about dropping one of the outer-most stripes?  So on the black jersey/white pants combo, the sleeve stripes would be thin white/thick red, and the pants stripes would be thin red/thick black?  Traditional yet contemporary.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a quick update reflecting @BringBackTheVet's suggestions.

iVbUHZQ.png

Changed the striping to look more modern, removed the helmet stripe, ditched the red pants completely, Italicized the numbers, and made the numbers red for the away jersey.

And here's the number font in it's entirety. 

2TcuwOQ.png

That's probably good for now, unless there's suggestion that I really like. 

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Atlanta Falcons Redesign (Quick Update Added)

I actually like that update a whole lot.  Still think the red seems too bright.

I don't love the number font though.  Don't see the need for the notch on the top right of the 1, bottom left of 2, or top right of 7.  Also not a fan of open 4s on sports uniforms, but that's just my personal preference.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree that the updated version is better. That all black helmet is perfect, and without the stripe, the red outline on the Falcon pops and looks amazing. The red tops w/ black pants are easily my favorite look (always have been w/ the Falcons). I like how you got rid of the silver accents, too. Keeping to red and black is good. The red does seem bright, like others were saying. The only thing I think I'd change, other than the red, is the number font. I like the no outline idea, but I think I'd go with a slightly thinner font. Just feels like it would fit the "sleekness" idea better. You might even play around with red numbers on the black top, and black on the red top. Still, these are about a billion times better than their current look. Nice work!

• 1 month later...

I entered into the Patriots Uni-Watch contest a few days ago, so I thought I'd post it here. Logo is inspired by multiple Patriots and Revolution concepts. On the uniforms, I dropped silver completely, used a shoulder flag stripe, and added a red alternate.

3vVV0Q1.png

djoPOhf.png

I will probably end up doing more NFL teams, but for now I'm going to focus on my IAAF thread.

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Punchy_Gungus' NFL Concepts (Patriots added 2/32)

Great designs. Love the updated looks.

For the falcons, I think the numbers should be black on the white jerseys,

For the patriots, if the helmet logo was their current one, I could see that as being their actual “rebrand” post Brady/Belichick. 

• 3 weeks later...

With the Browns getting new uniforms soon, I thought I'd take a stab at them. A mix of the current and traditional sets. New Colors stay put. Striping is always dark/light/dark, which strays from the traditional set, but looks better in my opinion. 

xIjZRsZ.png

I'll probably add to this thread occasionally if progress on the IAAF thread continues to stall.

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Punchy_Gungus' NFL Concepts (Browns added 3/32)

I love the six stars for the Pats (I assume it represents the six New England states).  Browns are terrific, as is Falcons logo, though I think the Falcons numbers would be better outlined.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/12/2020 at 5:51 PM, OnWis97 said:

I love the six stars for the Pats (I assume it represents the six New England states).

On 3/13/2020 at 1:45 AM, Bomba Tomba said:

I assume it represents their six SB wins

It's both, but primarily for the number of states.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:49 PM, Midway said:

The concept looks good. Are you getting paid by Affinity Designer?

I wish. I just find it helpful to other designers to share the tools I use.

Here's the Cowboys. They need to pick one blue shade and one silver shade, so I went with their royal blue and blueish silver. I kept the navy uniform as an alternate.

5siyjVW.png

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Punchy_Gungus' NFL Concepts (Cowboys added 4/32)
8 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

It's both, but primarily for the number of states.

I wish. I just find it helpful to other designers to share the tools I use.

Here's the Cowboys. They need to pick one blue shade and one silver shade, so I went with their royal blue and blueish silver. I kept the navy uniform as an alternate.

5siyjVW.png

Or they could pick 2 shades of blue and no shades of silver.. their helmets are "Texas Blue" after all

Nice job. I really like that number font and think it works well here. I'd replace the gray on the navy alternate with the color used on the helmet. Then you could swap the royal helmet decals out with a navy set while obeying the one-helmet rule. It'd help to simplify the color scheme as the gray feels redundant next to it. 

The star on the helmet might be too iconic to touch at this point, but I can appreciate the 'Big D' logo. It works as presented but you'll want to consider how it will look on the other side of the helmet as well. I think the shape of a D 'fits' on the right side of the helmet but looks a little off to me when it is on the left side. 

62ab697224b3228f7c36e3d5d22b6f6f.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived