jimsimo

Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

At one time Cleveland had two sets of white pants. I can't remember the years though. 

Both sets are pictures in that same post

9 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’ve always had a hard time getting behind the orange-brown-orange combo. It just has a bit of a gaudy, stuck-in-the-early-80’s vibe to it that doesn’t work for me, and the orange-brown-white combo strikes me as far more balanced and tasteful. 

I’m fine with orange-white-orange though, as long as that’s an alternate combo and not a primary one. Maybe for two games a year or something. 

I feel the same way, but I definitely prefer the 2000 brighter shade to the dull matte Kardiac Kids version.  So I think o/b/o can work a little better.  I don't like the brown pants at all, I don't think they're needed; although I don't mind the 3x3 mix and match.  I was ok with the recent set except for the pants wordmark.  But going back to the traditional look would be even better; retaining the color combos would be enough of a nod to modernization.

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

Both sets are pictures in that same post

These were before 1994, the ones I remember. 

So...

If you Google "Blackface in film" or "Minstrelry" you can see the comp to the Brownie cap. Immediately. 

Yes, something like that can be an accident. It's an oversight, something a person who isn't familiar with that history wouldn't see right away.

I didn't.

That how it can slip past reviewers. All the caps are black, the same template was applied, unless you have someone aware of that (and its painful, bloody history) it can get missed. 

The best thing for New Era to do would be to just withdraw that cap and put out a different one. It's a mistake, apologize for the oversight, fix the problem. There's a bigger issue over making sure it doesn't happen again, but do what's right for now. It's not like there's going to be draftees wearing caps and shaking Roger Goodell's hand anyway. 

Hey, it's not like it's this:

indians-stars-and-stripes-cap-2008.jpg&f

Man, the Block C really didn't come soon enough, did it?

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I think the gray facemask looked pretty terrific on the old orange helmet, but might not look quite as nice on that new ruddy sunburned orange.  Hard to picture.

I kind of like the ruddier orange, the lighter feels like a bland melon to me.  Perhaps same issue with the orange pants where I prefer the ruddy 2000s to the early 80s dull matte.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

So...

If you Google "Blackface in film" or "Minstrelry" you can see the comp to the Brownie cap. Immediately. 

Yes, something like that can be an accident. It's an oversight, something a person who isn't familiar with that history wouldn't see right away.

I didn't.

That how it can slip past reviewers. All the caps are black, the same template was applied, unless you have someone aware of that (and its painful, bloody history) it can get missed. 

The best thing for New Era to do would be to just withdraw that cap and put out a different one. It's a mistake, apologize for the oversight, fix the problem. There's a bigger issue over making sure it doesn't happen again, but do what's right for now. It's not like there's going to be draftees wearing caps and shaking Roger Goodell's hand anyway. 

It's an interesting one.  Everyone realizes it's unintentional.  Without any other exaggerated features, you could easily let it slide.  If anything comparison to a racist lawn jockey statue makes more sense.  Definitely should have been caught and revised though.   For those that complain that people are oversensitive; don't blame the sensitivity, blame the hundreds of years of racism that forced people to be sensitive.  Nothing inherently wrong with a swastika...but the Nazis ruined it for everybody and it's out the window now. Being oversensitive to swastikas, blackface, and native american imagery is ... one of the most minor consequences of American and world history and it's pretty messed up when people can't even say "ok, I get it" to that!

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

At one time Cleveland had two sets of white pants. I can't remember the years though. 

2003-05. Both pants had brown-orange-brown stripes (instead of the traditional orange-brown-orange). Only difference between the two sets of white pants was that one of them had thin white stripes separating the colors to match the sleeves of the brown jersey at the time.

When they went back to having one set of O-B-O pants in 2006, they also eliminated the separation between the stripes on the sleeves (and added a gray facemask to the helmet).

18 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

2003-05. Both pants had brown-orange-brown stripes (instead of the traditional orange-brown-orange). Only difference between the two sets of white pants was that one of them had thin white stripes separating the colors to match the sleeves of the brown jersey at the time.

When they went back to having one set of O-B-O pants in 2006, they also eliminated the separation between the stripes on the sleeves (and added a gray facemask to the helmet).

That sounds a little unnecessary.  One thing I don't get about the Browns pants is how most fans (at least on here) seem to care a lot about the thickness of the stripe, with most preferring a really thin one.  There's nothing wrong with a thin stripe, but I don't see why many people seem so opposed to the wide one, which while maybe not consistent with all of the Browns historical looks, is totally inline with the traditional football aesthetic. 

Yeah, the two pairs of white pants were overkill, which is why they didn’t stick around long. I preferred the thinner stripes used by the pre-expansion Browns, but the wider stripes didn’t bother me. I definitely prefer O-B-O stripes over B-O-B, though. For reasons I can’t explain, B-O-B has always just looked like a knockoff.

9 hours ago, chakfu said:

It's an interesting one.  Everyone realizes it's unintentional.  Without any other exaggerated features, you could easily let it slide.  If anything comparison to a racist lawn jockey statue makes more sense.  Definitely should have been caught and revised though.   For those that complain that people are oversensitive; don't blame the sensitivity, blame the hundreds of years of racism that forced people to be sensitive.  Nothing inherently wrong with a swastika...but the Nazis ruined it for everybody and it's out the window now. Being oversensitive to swastikas, blackface, and native american imagery is ... one of the most minor consequences of American and world history and it's pretty messed up when people can't even say "ok, I get it" to that!

Can we all drop this conversation?? It's stupid. If I wanted to see a conversation like this I'd go to Twitter or Reddit. I and others come here for discussion about things other than manufactured outrage about a :censored:in hat, that very clearly to rational people isn't even what you're claiming it is.

Now back to discussion about uniforms. I honestly wouldn't hate seeing those matte type pants from the Brian Sipe era make a comeback. I bet they would look really good in the new orange they have with a grey facemask.

That was my bad in regards to the pictures posted.... I prefer the white pants without the white lines separating the rest of the stripes for the club.... it was just a good picture of what the brown jersey looked like with a white facemask (which I prefer over the grey). 

But I also don't hate the separation lines, and if the Orange pants were to copy suit, I think it could look nice. 

Let’s keep the discussion to the topic at hand, please. 

On 4/2/2020 at 9:04 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Let me help out.  I'm curious what your feelings are about this once you read it - do you honestly disagree or have a problem with any of this, other than just the simple fact that PL wrote it?

That's sadly more than enough for a lot of people.

16 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure if I really believe that they'd bring back the gray mask, but that would be unexpected and awesome.  Not just because IMO gray is the best looking choice for them but the mindset that would conceivably go with the gray mask bodes well for the rest of the uniform.

This.

1000 times this.

I’d like to see a photoshop of a game between the Steelers and browns (either team home/away) with the browns in their previous jersey (or something close) wearing gray pants with B-O-B stripes with thin white separators and borders, gray mask, and gray center stripe on the helmet. 

this will probably get me destroyed for even suggesting it, but I think that with their wonderful colors, they could pull off a wolf-gray alt Jersey (though i would probably not pair it with matching pants... unless it ended up looking good.)

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've long advocated for them to work gray into their uniforms somehow.  Gray goes so well with both brown and orange, and is just such an autumnal scheme.  It's the reason why I liked their gray facemask so much even though gray wasn't one of their colors.

I get moist downstairs just thinking about a Browns uniform with gray pants or at least gray trim.

I agree...Grey would be a great tertiary for them.

ff_3358650-49f7c274702fab7370a8alt1_full

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

I agree...Grey would be a great tertiary for them.

ff_3358650-49f7c274702fab7370a8alt1_full

The orange numbers don’t work there. Also the orange seems artificially bright, and the gray too dark. 

It would have to have brown numbers. Prob without an outline, but if one was necessary for legibility, either white or orange would work.