Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Browns' soon to be retired uniforms were awful. 

"A mix of past and present" get outta here with that brand speak. 

Contrasting stitching, carbon fibre, "rise shadows," stretched out sleeve stripes, oversized CLEVELAND wordmarks, and BROWNS text down the pants stripes? It's a G-ddamn embarrassment of design trying way too hard to make a classic identity modern for the fire emoji crowd.

The set's the "how do you do fellow kids?" of uniforms. 

It's pretty incredible that the Falcons took over right after this way too long five year torment...

13 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Yes. If you’re mixing paint from primary colors you need red and yellow to make orange. Red, yellow, and blue make brown. 

Lighten brown enough and that tan will start to look orangey. Darken orange and it will start to look brown. 

I mean, that's a lot of work to consider something "similar." 

12 hours ago, richardj said:

EVLIGwKUYAEXW7s?format=jpg&name=medium

Found on twitter. Browns would easily have the best look in he NFL with these. Would love an all white look on the road as well.

No one would be opposed to this.

However, me, a uniform traditionalist... I wish they would do SOMETHING unique/creative rather than just going back to the old uniforms.

EDIT:  And I have this feeling they are doing to do something strange.  Instead of O/W/B or O/W/O on the road and O/B/W or O/B/O at home... they are going to do some non-standard, non-uniform combinations that annoy the bejesus outta me.

15 hours ago, DNAsports said:

This is a very unpopular opinion, but looking back at the inevitable former Browns uniform set, they really weren’t all that bad of a modernization attempt on a traditional uniform. It was arguably poorly executed with the “BROWNS” on the pants and the overstretching of the sleeve stripes among other things, but by no means was the set terrible beyond repair.

I have maintained this for a while.  These current uniforms were just death by a thousand cuts.  Had they just turned everything up to say... 8 or 9, instead of 20... the uniforms could have been solid/good.

Some of the tweeks would have been minor, i.e. contrast stitching, carbon fiber pattern, and making the numerals consistent with the new custom wordmark font.

Some of the tweeks would have been more medium, i.e. wordmark on the pants, rise shadow, reducing the shoulder stripes, and balancing the colors better.

But it's not like they took a classic uniform and went full TCU on 'em... dog collar imagery around the neck, illegible font, crazy pattern on numerals and pants, added and random color not in the official pallet, and some wild design on the helmet to make it look like a construction worker helmet or something.  I think the basic intent was there: For a team with no logo, no wordmark, no identity... all they have is the 3 stripes on an orange helmet... emphasize the 3 stripes as much as possible.

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

However, me, a uniform traditionalist... I wish they would do SOMETHING unique/creative rather than just going back to the old uniforms.

EDIT:  And I have this feeling they are doing to do something strange.  Instead of O/W/B or O/W/O on the road and O/B/W or O/B/O at home... they are going to do some non-standard, non-uniform combinations that annoy the bejesus outta me.

As long as they avoid all orange they'll be good. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

The problem there is very few including probably yourself would like a unique/creative design. The set they wore the last few years was unique but the last part in bold is always what happens.

I do not like a lot of newer designs not because I just like older uniforms but because a lot of the new designs seem to be disjointed. Most new designs have elements that do not match any other elements & if you wear this combination you cannot wear any other element with it. 

Unique/creative doesn't always equal 'good' when talking about sports uniforms.  There's an established aesthetic that can (and should) be pushed, but not broken.  The Browns burned it down last time, so I'd say they have no option but to walk it back some and get back to within the bubble of normalcy.  

The Browns are a team that doesn't need the "Nike Closet".  They don't need B-W, B-B, B-O, W-W, W-B, W-O, O-O, and solid matching socks.  I do like brown pants with the white jersey, but I like orange more, and three pants is too much, so they need to limit it to white and orange.  Also screw OOO - hope that doesn't become a thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, hugevolsfan said:

The problem there is very few including probably yourself would like a unique/creative design. The set they wore the last few years was unique but the last part in bold is always what happens.

I do not like a lot of newer designs not because I just like older uniforms but because a lot of the new designs seem to be disjointed. Most new designs have elements that do not match any other elements & if you wear this combination you cannot wear any other element with it. 

I think there are good and bad examples of doing something creative/unique.  Clemson with the paws on the shoulder pads, Ohio State with black TV numbers, the Viking with the subtle flare on the end of their stripes... those are all great examples of something minor but has a great impact.  

4 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

I think there are good and bad examples of doing something creative/unique.  Clemson with the paws on the shoulder pads, Ohio State with black TV numbers, the Viking with the subtle flare on the end of their stripes... those are all great examples of something minor but has a great impact.  

None of those examples really enhanced the uniform for me especially the Ohio State with black TV numbers just a change for a sake of change with no real purpose behind it. The question I ask is the uniform better & in this example I say no! The Vikings are alright the thing that bugs me about that set still is the numbers.

14 hours ago, jp1409 said:

It's pretty incredible that the Falcons took over right after this way too long five year torment...

Yeah, I'm surprised they are waiting so long as well. We all know outside of this crowd & the Browns fan base, most are going to see the Browns redesign and talk about how boring it is, or ask what changed? AKA "Mailing it in". 

16 hours ago, CLEstones said:

A unique logo (doesn't have to be on the helmet) could have been that new feature added to the classic look. They're still using a helmet template as their official logo.

No matter how good it will be to see the old jerseys once again, I can't give them a perfect 10/10 for that reason alone.

12 hours ago, CLEstones said:

The Bucs just proved there's no shame in "just going back to the old uniforms."

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Unique/creative doesn't always equal 'good' when talking about sports uniforms.  There's an established aesthetic that can (and should) be pushed, but not broken.  The Browns burned it down last time, so I'd say they have no option but to walk it back some and get back to within the bubble of normalcy.  

The Browns are a team that doesn't need the "Nike Closet".  They don't need B-W, B-B, B-O, W-W, W-B, W-O, O-O, and solid matching socks.  I do like brown pants with the white jersey, but I like orange more, and three pants is too much, so they need to limit it to white and orange.  Also screw OOO - hope that doesn't become a thing.

Why?

Archived