Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Agreed. I think it allows for a lot of error. For example, as you mentioned, the O/O/O for the Browns would be wrong.

Let's look at the Eagles.  Fortunately they haven't done any mixing and matching, but they're also a 3 top and 3 bottom team.

Under Big Balls Doug, they've primarily gone G-W, W-W, and sometimes W-G.  They haven't gone B-W forever, but while I hate the black top, it's relatively harmless, and at least you still know who's playing.  But then when you mix in the B-B?  Total trash.  Who's playing?  Why are they all black?  Doesn't make sense.  Again, they're as restrained as anyone that has 3+3, but if they do decide to go nuts and go G-B or W-B, the whole on-field identity that they've done a pretty great job of establishing since they redid the uniforms in 2003 just all goes to hell.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Browns fans love orange pants and all-brown looks. Ownership seems to love all-white. For those reasons I'd think the Browns would keep at least 3 options. If anything orange would probably be the first to go, if usage the past few years is any indication. Seems like they really don't use them much anymore.

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Bucs just proved there's no shame in "just going back to the old uniforms."

Not that there is shame in it... but the Bucs "old" uniforms still had something unique to them with the pewter.  When they debuted those in the 00's, I remember instantly being a fan because the pewter was just so different.  Not only that, the logo was just so awesome and so different for the time.

Now looking at the Browns.  It just feels like we are destined to go back to the same old same old, which was failure and futility.  I think the orangier orange is going to help the old style uniforms look less washed out and more vibrant, especially on TV.  I just wish they weren't JUST going back to the old uniforms.  I almost wish they decided to keep the 3 stripes on the sleeves, just fix the length and balance the color better.  Then move to some oversized numbers or something.

14 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Browns fans love orange pants and all-brown looks. Ownership seems to love all-white. For those reasons I'd think the Browns would keep at least 3 options. If anything orange would probably be the first to go, if usage the past few years is any indication. Seems like they really don't use them much anymore.

No Browns fan likes an all brown look. It's just that it's better with the Color Rush than the current, soon to be dead uniform. OBB and OOO should never be used. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Not that there is shame in it... but the Bucs "old" uniforms still had something unique to them with the pewter.  When they debuted those in the 00's, I remember instantly being a fan because the pewter was just so different.  Not only that, the logo was just so awesome and so different for the time.

Now looking at the Browns.  It just feels like we are destined to go back to the same old same old, which was failure and futility.  I think the orangier orange is going to help the old style uniforms look less washed out and more vibrant, especially on TV.  I just wish they weren't JUST going back to the old uniforms.  I almost wish they decided to keep the 3 stripes on the sleeves, just fix the length and balance the color better.  Then move to some oversized numbers or something.

That jersey you associate with failure and futility is also associated with 5 straight championships, 10 straight championship game appearances, and a total of 8 league championships across the AAFC and NFL.

The current incarnation of the Browns being a trainwreck doesn't mean they need to go away from the jersey that had functionally been worn by damn near every Browns team for 70 years. 

6fQjS3M.png

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Bucs just proved there's no shame in "just going back to the old uniforms."

I'm a personal testament to that.  In fact, earlier in this thread, I stated that I don't like it when teams simply go back to the old uniform.  While I maintain that I like the tweaks between the new Bucs set and the original 97-2013 set, give me all the crow to eat.

Of course, that also may be due to the facts that: (1) the 2014-19 set was so horrid, so anything would've been an improvement; and (2) I was mentally prepared for the old set, but without any orange in it.

5 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

That jersey you associate with failure and futility is also associated with 5 straight championships, 10 straight championship game appearances, and a total of 8 league championships across the AAFC and NFL.

The current incarnation of the Browns being a trainwreck doesn't mean they need to go away from the jersey that had functionally been worn by damn near every Browns team for 70 years. 

All that is fine and well.  But that's also the franchise's (and by extension, the City's) biggest problem.  We are constantly living in the old days instead of blaze a new path. We always have to go back to the old times, we always have to look back with fondness, with always have to live in the past.  It get's so frustrating to constantly hear about the old times and that old was better bla bla bla.  As a younger fan, a younger person, it's just like ok ok we got it, we surrender, the old times, got it.  Let's keep everything old... old uniforms, old style football, old ideas, old government, od businesses, old business models, old everything... old old old.  It just gets... well... OLD.  God forbid we spice it up in the City and not live for what things were like 50 years ago.

31 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

All that is fine and well.  But that's also the franchise's (and by extension, the City's) biggest problem.  We are constantly living in the old days instead of blaze a new path. We always have to go back to the old times, we always have to look back with fondness, with always have to live in the past.  It get's so frustrating to constantly hear about the old times and that old was better bla bla bla.  As a younger fan, a younger person, it's just like ok ok we got it, we surrender, the old times, got it.  Let's keep everything old... old uniforms, old style football, old ideas, old government, od businesses, old business models, old everything... old old old.  It just gets... well... OLD.  God forbid we spice it up in the City and not live for what things were like 50 years ago.

Did you see the crap they came up with when they blazed a new path???

It's where I sit.

I think the team realizes the popularity of the orange pants by now, and it's great to know they are going back toward a classic look. My wish list based on what we know:

• We basically know the helmet, any facemask but orange
  • Classic brown jersey
  • Classic white jersey
  • Alternate orange jersey, only with white pants (fan of every version we've had, would love the Otto Graham look)
  • Primary white pants (OBO like Jim Brown)
  • Alternate orange pants, matte
  • I'd live with a striped brown pant but prefer less looks
  • No monochrome but all white is fine
  • Socks with stripes matching jersey
  • Limit alternate looks (orange) to keep it special

Lost track of whether it's confirmed they are updating logos/logo usage.

48 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

If they get an orange jersey they will need a brown pants too.

Nope, they really should only ever wear white pants when wearing orange jerseys. No mono-orange, no orange over brown. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, let's just say that the Browns shouldn't be the team to "make new" in Cleveland. Let them be old-fashioned.

Cleveland's AL club, on the other hand, should be the one to rebrand completely - new name and everything.

Clevejacked. As a Cleveland fan I'm on board for a continued transition to a super old school block C theme, followed by a change to Spiders.  A bit like current Washington Bullets-in-every-eespect-except name.

I only recently learned there is slight continuity with Spiders as the AL club owned there assets or something. Also, the current mascot is already Slider, pretty close!

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Nope, they really should only ever wear white pants when wearing orange jerseys. No mono-orange, no orange over brown. 

I didn't mind this look from their soon-to-be gone sset. I couldn't find the game they wore them in, but I think it's a nice look so long as the go O/B/O

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I couldn't find the game they wore them in

49ers @ Browns (2015)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

5 hours ago, CLEstones said:

The Yankees wore the same uniform for about 100 seasons and won 27 titles ....

They made living in the past cool 

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived