Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

I don’t know why but I have an itching feeling that they have an alt uniform with a side stripe and no sleeve stripes. One of the doctored stills from the hype video showed no sleeve stripes but it may have been a place holder 

That's what I think...it could be a throwback...

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

3 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I hope the Browns get rid of their satin finish on the helmet. The standard gloss is best for them.

Count me among the minority who actually enjoyed the carbon-fiber look of the helmet. For me, that was by far the best part of a terrible set. I’m usually one who likes gloss everything, too. 

37 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Count me among the minority who actually enjoyed the carbon-fiber look of the helmet. For me, that was by far the best part of a terrible set. I’m usually one who likes gloss everything, too. 

It wasn't the helmet that was carbon fiber. It was just the brown stripes on the helmet that had the carbon fiber pattern.  That's different from the helmet finish, which i think they called satin.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, CLEstones said:

That's what I mean.  It doesn't have to be ALL or NOTHING, 0 or 100.  They could have found some sort of happy medium somewhere, where they actually take all the Nike-speak to heart... "Respecting the past, honoring the history..." bla bla bla.  

No one ever takes that to heart because it doesn't mean anything. It's brand-speak cooked up in a board room to justify selling crap. 

5 hours ago, BVZ said:

Gotta disagree with you here. The “double-decker stripes” take up no more room then the Browns CR stripes do. The above look @upperV03 posted IS the Browns. That striping should also be used by the Packers and Saints.

I've got to agree.. One of the many trends happening in football that I'm not a big fan of is the reduction of sleeves on an NFL player. They are starting to look like sleeveless muscle man shirts that are three sizes too small. 300+ pound linemen with the smallest shoulder pads and virtually no sleeves. Looks kinda silly IMHO , would like to see sleeves where you can legitimately put stripes on them , where the UCLA stripes could go all the way around . Tha'ts one thing that bugs me about the Colts Uni's....

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

RE: Today's teaser. I'm just happy that the Browns went with a simple block number font. 

The Bucs and Browns both seem to have insisted on block fonts. 

Has anyone checked up on Nike's design team? Are they ok after having to lower themselves to such boring, old design on two whole uniform sets? 

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Has anyone checked up on Nike's design team? Are they ok after having to lower themselves to such boring, old design on two whole uniform sets? 

It has to be pretty embarrassing to see all these teams throw everything away that Nike's NFL designers did a few years ago. Just to go back to old sets.

44 minutes ago, IceCap said:

With the Bucs and Browns basically telling them to :censored: off and the blowback from the new Falcons disaster, my guess is the Swoosh ain’t having the best time these days. And we haven’t even gotten to how badly they probably screwed up the Rams. 

BB52Big.jpg

17 hours ago, IceCap said:

Give me a break. The soon to be retired Browns uni wasn't even a "modern" look.

Yeah.  It really can't be considered contemporary, because of all the new things it had, some of which were just old things but x100.  I get that people have to do new things occasionally, otherwise what's considered 'contemporary' never changes.  But they did a million things, none of which built on anything that anyone else had introduced.  

The shame of it is that it would have been so simple for them to go with an attractive 'contemporary' look, even if as you stated, they probably shouldn't.

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

My point is...the city of Cleveland refused to accept anything short of the Browns. Well ok. Then they ought to look like the Browns. That was the whole point! 

This is true.  There's ways to change things up in innocuous increments until you get to something that's mostly new, without it being shocking.  I know they were trying to intentionally make a bang - maybe they wanted a spike in sales, maybe they legitimately thought they were entering a new era, IDK.

But let's look at their daddies rivals, the Steelers.  They switched number fonts, and as someone living in western PA for college at the time, very few people noticed/cared.  Obviously we do (I happen to like it but I know I'm the minority) but it was a change that wasn't "shocking".  The browns could have done something similar, and updated their font a bit, without causing any stir.  Then in a few years, change up the stripes some.  Then some more.  Etc.  I understand completely that the NFL's rules would mean that it could take 20 years to release four increments that really change your look, but taking it slow could probably have been the better approach.

Imagine if all they did was extend the stripes onto the chest.  Sure, people would have had their opinions, but would it have generated 1150 pages of hate?  Doubtful.

Then this year they would change the font.  Again, we'd be so used to the relatively benign chest stripe that it wouldn't seem like an overhaul.  We discuss for a couple of pages, then move on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived